“Great location and a very good all-round hotel”

The Hotel of South Beach
Ranked #22 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Great location just a block or so back from ocean drive. Nice art deco exterior which doesn't disappoint once inside the lobby and communal areas - the rooms are good too and there's a great little roof-top pool that was clean and in keeping with the hotel and area.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 October 2010

We have stayed at The Hotel 3 times in the last 6 months and have had a great visit each time. Our first trip ever to Miami Beach was in June of this year and a friend recommended this hotel to us. She is quiet demanding when it comes to travel and service, so I wasn't worried that we'd enjoy our time. But it was even better than we expected. The staff is incredibly nice, the rooms (especially the new rooms on the Ocean Ave side) are comfortable, even if not overly luxe. The location is amazing. The new part of the hotel is right above News Cafe on Ocean, which is right in the heart of the craziness of SoBe and right across the street from Lummus Park Beach, which is awesome and never overly crowded. If you want a more low-key sunbathing experience, you can just head to the roof deck pool which has food/drink service and the most amazing frozen mojitos. Our stays have included free continental breakfast, which we usually eat on the roof looking out onto the ocean (see photo for view). We keep threatening to try one of the bigger hotels just to compare, but we keep coming back here.

We've only eaten once at the hotel restaurant, Wish. The entrees were quite good, but be forewarned: the portions are huge. In hindsight, I would have skipped the apps and just had entrees. News Cafe for bfast is only so-so, but they make a mean burger if you want a snack for the beach.

If it's your first trip to Miami Beach, check out the scene on Ocean Dr at night just for fun. Have a drink at the Delano and lobster beignet during their brunch. Have a romantic dinner at Casa Tua on the patio. Grab a drink at the Fontainebleu hotel lobby and dinner at either Hakassan or Scarpetta (wonderful spaghetti-butter in the sauce). Check out Lincoln Road. Oh! and i almost forgot. If you sign up for the Gold Club on The Hotel's web site, you can get 10% off food/drink at the hotel and discounts on rooms or upgrades.

3  Thank csfbrooks
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Where do I start? I cannot boast enough about The Hotel of South Beach! I checked many reviews on here before booking it, and like most, I was not disappointed! The Hotel is well located, and in the heart of EVERYTHING! You can feel the pulse of SoBe right outside your door, but yet, still feel like you're in your own little cove once inside your room. The staff is friendly and oh-so-wonderful: John, the concierge, is THE MAN! He would answer our questions before we even uttered a word (a psychic too, perhaps?). As for our room, it was clean and well-maintained twice a day. The rooftop pool and deck offer a great view and a nice place to lounge and relax, and their Spire rooftop bar is great for drinks at night (though expect to pay $15 per drink!). With ample stores right next door like Victoria Secret, Armani Exchange, Aldo and more, and Ocean Drive one block away, how could one not want to stay here???? We will definitely go there again! one to remember. Cheers!:)

Reviewed 12 October 2010

We had never been to South Beach before so we really lucked out in choosing this hotel. The location is great - a block from the News Cafe and beach and also in the heart of the shopping district. Immediately, the staff made us feel very much at home and gave us lots of information on the area and good restaurants and bars to go to. The staff was so friendly and knowledgeable. Our room was clean and well decorated, but they don't have many rooms with 2 beds, and unfortunately those rooms have frosted windows. Still, the room got a lot of light and cut down on noise. Noise is a problem in this hotel however - probably b/c its of old construction, but the elevator bells and neighbors did wake us up during the night. Still, overall, we were very happy with our stay. The rooftop pool and bar are AMAZING. We spent a lot of time up there. There is also a nice fitness room, and a shower and bathroom if you have to check out before its time to go to the airport. Free lounge chairs and umbrellas at the beach save you $40 a day and are so comfortable you could sleep on them! All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel to others. The price can't be beat for this type of accommodations. Just bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2010

The hotel has an awesome location... across from the Kenneth Cole Store and right around the corner from Newz Cafe! The rooms are trendy and very clean. They provide beach towels and chairs/umbrella which is very nice and convenient! I personally did not use the rooftop patio pool but it's a great lounging area up there with a nice view. The bathroom is very modern with hand painted tiles. Our room was not that noisy as other travellers have mentioned but we were not in the room for too long to notice. The one night we did not go clubbing though, we did wake up when the people from the room above us came back from their clubbing! But nothing to worry too much about. The free wifi in the room was also fast and very convenient. This hotel is definitely catered to young couples and people who will party it up in South Beach!!!! Defnitely coming back next year!!!!

Reviewed 1 October 2010

I have never taken the time to write a review, good or bad, for a hotel in the past but I feel compelled to in this case. We spent Sept 25th to 27th at The Hotel and had an amazing experience. The weekend getaway was a surprise for my girlfriend's 30th birthday so I wanted it to be perfect. I knew that I wanted to stay at a boutique hotel rather than a big resort and spent HOURS researching different places. Everywhere has a mixture of good and bad reviews, however, The Hotel seemed to be a safe bet considering the majority of positive reviews. Nonetheless, I was a little worried from some of the reviews claiming the place to be old and tattered or the rooms to be very small.

From our experience, here are my honest opinions:

Location: Simply can't be beat. Easy walking distance to Lincoln Rd, Espanola Way, clubs, restaurants, and major hotels like the Delano. Also practically on the beach.

Food: The restaurant "Wish" located at the hotel was excellent, and possibly the best food and service of all the 'fancy' restaurants we ate at, including China Grill. The News Cafe, OPEN 24 HOURS, and also located at the hotel had great breakfast, service, and was well priced. Perfect spot for having your morning coffee and people watching.

Service: Staff at the hotel's restaurants were all very friendly, attentive, and fast. Staff at the rooftop pool bar was also very friendly. In fact, one of the bartenders made me a FREE drink just so I could try it out (there frozen Mojitos are the BEST in Miami, do yourself a favour and have a few).

Amenities: The rooftop pool is very basic, although nice. I personally however didn't go to South Beach to sit at a pool, especially when the beautiful beach is across the street. The lounge chairs and umbrella provided at the beach through the hotel were first rate. The location is across the street from the hotel, and the staff who set the chairs up and take your info are fast and friendly. Wake up in the morning and you will be enjoying the beach in no time with little effort.

Rooms: Our room "Atleier" (has a separate entrance at 800 Ocean drive and is in a separate building from the main one) was exactly as depicted in the pictures. Spacious, new, well decorated, and the bed was simply amazing. I woke up after a rough Sat night and thought I was paralysed, I couldn't feel my body. Thankfully it was because I had slept so well that none of my body parts were sore. PERFECT. I'd love to know what kind of matress it was so I can get my hands on one. Bathroom was spacious, well appointed, and the shower was again..perfect. The aircon worked without issue and noise in the room was never a problem, even though in the hallway you could hear people during the Sat night.

After our experience and looking back at some of the reviews, I feel most if not all of the negative rewiews likely are from people who stayed in the older 'main' building, of which I cannot really comment. If you are able to get a room which is located in the new building, via the entrance at 800 Ocean drive, I would not hesitate to BOOK!

I wish I would have taken some names to give some respect, but many thanks to all the staff!

Asim and Laura

oh, and did I mention that there is a public parking garage around the corner!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank loneasim29
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Wow everything was amazing about this hotel. It started with the initial phone call to make reservations. They were courteous and friendly and gave me great advice. We stayed in their new rooms above the News Cafe. We were in the middle of the action and could walk everywhere which I love. Everyday we went to the beach they set up two chairs and an umbrella for us. Mid day we would walk across the street and get a Wet Willie's Daiquiri to drink on the beach. One day the battery wore out on our little speaker that hooks up to the ipod and one of the beach guys went to buy us batteries so we would not have to leave the beach (can you believe it!). The room was extremely clean (twice a day room service) and the bathroom was incredible. I took three showers a day just because it felt so good. Every time you leave and come back the staff greets you and asks about your day. There was nothing about this hotel we didn't love. I will recommend The Hotel to everyone and contrary to this review I'm not an easy sell.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Michrz, Manager at The Hotel of South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2010

Thank you for staying at The Hotel of South Beach. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your guest room in our new building at 800 Ocean Drive and all the unique amenities we have to offer our guests. At The Hotel we strive to exceed our guests expectations and are happy to know we achieved this for you. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
The Management Team