“Gem in South Beach!!!”

Ranked #21 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Henderson, Nevada
“Gem in South Beach!!!”
Reviewed 12 November 2010

Based solely on TripAdvisor reviews, I booked a weekend for R&R at THE HOTEL after doing business in Miami this week. Nara at the front desk as well as the concierge and valet were incredibly pleasant, efficient and clearly wanted to make my stay a pleasant one. Nara started by upgrading me to a partial ocean view room in the new building on Ocean Ave instead of Collins. The room was incredible. New, well appointed and comfortable. The 4th floor pool has an incredible view and incredible vibe! And I was right across the street from the famous South Beach itself and right in the middle of the restaurants, shops and bars of South Beach. (SoBe... I never knew where that beverage name came from till this trip...)

I usually do not pay this much for a hotel, but decided to treat myself this trip. Afraid of being disappointed, I took a chance and the place and the people were fabulous! I will be back!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Dublin
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Our start at this hotel could not have been better – we were upgraded to a suite free of charge simply because there was one available for the 2 nights we were staying there. I’m not sure that I’ve ever had that type of service from a hotel – even in Las Vegas the suite upgrades are never free! Mojitos by the rooftop pool were the next port of call and we were not disappointed here either – excellently made and with a view of the ocean while you’re sipping them, what more could you want from a hotel??

Well, the answer to that, because we are no longer in our twenties unfortunately, is “A good night’s sleep”. We were on the 2nd floor overlooking the main street and Friday and Saturday nights in Miami Beach are lively enough to keep you awake into the early hours of the morning, if you’re a light sleeper. If this is something that’s important to you when staying at a hotel, then it would be advisable to ask for a room in a quiet area of the hotel (I’m not sure that there is one, but you never know?).

On the other hand, if you’re the type of traveler who will be partying into the wee hours of the morning, then this hotel cannot be faulted. Great location, good value for the area, excellent service and the bonus of a rooftop pool with great mojitos! Welcome to Miami!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 3 November 2010

The Hotel really should be called THE hotel. It's location is perfect - seconds from the sea, seconds from Collins and Washington and an easy stroll to Lincoln. We stayed in the annex above the uber trendy News Cafe right in the heart of South Beach with a terrace and sea view and a great place to sit and watch the madness that is Ocean Drive below. The hotel itself has a wonderful roof top pool for the day and a deliciously lit and furnished bar at night. Dinner at the Wish Restaurant was amazing - perfect fusion food is a flood lit garden n- mmmmmmmm! The staff are all so friendly and attentive, helpful and full of good ideas of things to do and places to go. A special mention goes to Richard who made our stay all the more enjoyable! Thank you

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 November 2010

I chose this smaller hotel because it's modern, newly renovated, has a balcony, ocean view, and very fast access to the beach, strip, and rollerblading trail. I liked it's separate smaller entrance and lobby on ocean avenue (the main hotel is 1/2 block west on Collins)--although we accidentally "missed" the front door often because it's adjacent and identical to the entrance of the News Cafe--which is one of few restaurants on ocean ave open 24 hrs a day. I was on the 2nd floor. There was great people watching from the oceant front balcony--spent several hours there with friends sipping cocktails and just watching everyone stroll by. But don't stay in the ocean front rooms if you have young kids or require silence for sleeping. Although I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the room was with the balcony doors shut--there were a couple annoying hours around 5am when I heard folks eating and chatting 6 feet below. Thankfully I'm a heavy sleeper.

Richard the concierge/desk person was absolutely lovely--very friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Sent us to a great sushi place but I forgot the name...

The room was spacious and comfy--LOVED the cushy bed with soft pillows and crisp white sheets. Coffee in a.m. was very strong which I liked. The bathroom was large--but I'm surprised they didn't slip a pocket door into the design of it--would have been nice if the toilet were private. I missed having a nice big bath tub but the shower was huge w/ a waterfall head and a bench seat. The room and bath were extremely clean.

Breakfast downstairs at the News Cafe is fantastic (I'd go elsewhere for lunch & dinner) and the little convenient store came in handy when we got a chocolate craving and wanted to buy playing cards. We spent little time at the main hotel because we prefer less people. The rooftop pool area looked like a nice place to chill, but we preferred the beach (we used the hotel-provided chairs and umbrella which was crucial in the hot Miami sun). Checkout was very easy as we did not have to go back to the main hotel. I'll likely go back to The Hotel in South Beach.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Great location just a block or so back from ocean drive. Nice art deco exterior which doesn't disappoint once inside the lobby and communal areas - the rooms are good too and there's a great little roof-top pool that was clean and in keeping with the hotel and area.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Washington, DC
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We have stayed at The Hotel 3 times in the last 6 months and have had a great visit each time. Our first trip ever to Miami Beach was in June of this year and a friend recommended this hotel to us. She is quiet demanding when it comes to travel and service, so I wasn't worried that we'd enjoy our time. But it was even better than we expected. The staff is incredibly nice, the rooms (especially the new rooms on the Ocean Ave side) are comfortable, even if not overly luxe. The location is amazing. The new part of the hotel is right above News Cafe on Ocean, which is right in the heart of the craziness of SoBe and right across the street from Lummus Park Beach, which is awesome and never overly crowded. If you want a more low-key sunbathing experience, you can just head to the roof deck pool which has food/drink service and the most amazing frozen mojitos. Our stays have included free continental breakfast, which we usually eat on the roof looking out onto the ocean (see photo for view). We keep threatening to try one of the bigger hotels just to compare, but we keep coming back here.

We've only eaten once at the hotel restaurant, Wish. The entrees were quite good, but be forewarned: the portions are huge. In hindsight, I would have skipped the apps and just had entrees. News Cafe for bfast is only so-so, but they make a mean burger if you want a snack for the beach.

If it's your first trip to Miami Beach, check out the scene on Ocean Dr at night just for fun. Have a drink at the Delano and lobster beignet during their brunch. Have a romantic dinner at Casa Tua on the patio. Grab a drink at the Fontainebleu hotel lobby and dinner at either Hakassan or Scarpetta (wonderful spaghetti-butter in the sauce). Check out Lincoln Road. Oh! and i almost forgot. If you sign up for the Gold Club on The Hotel's web site, you can get 10% off food/drink at the hotel and discounts on rooms or upgrades.

3 Thank csfbrooks
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Where do I start? I cannot boast enough about The Hotel of South Beach! I checked many reviews on here before booking it, and like most, I was not disappointed! The Hotel is well located, and in the heart of EVERYTHING! You can feel the pulse of SoBe right outside your door, but yet, still feel like you're in your own little cove once inside your room. The staff is friendly and oh-so-wonderful: John, the concierge, is THE MAN! He would answer our questions before we even uttered a word (a psychic too, perhaps?). As for our room, it was clean and well-maintained twice a day. The rooftop pool and deck offer a great view and a nice place to lounge and relax, and their Spire rooftop bar is great for drinks at night (though expect to pay $15 per drink!). With ample stores right next door like Victoria Secret, Armani Exchange, Aldo and more, and Ocean Drive one block away, how could one not want to stay here???? We will definitely go there again! one to remember. Cheers!:)