“Peaceful trip”

Kelley Fleet Fishing
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Went out today for the first time on Kelley fleet. Loved it!!! Highly recommend it. I only caught one small fish and had to throw it back but plenty of people caught fishes. The gentleman on the boat that helps with the hook and bait was on top of everything. He really made fishing easy. I will be back on there soon for sure.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I had read a lot of reviews prior to going with this company. The captain was very friendly and informative and was the most helpful. We went out on the 9 am trip and unfortunately, didn't catch anything. I had read some previous reviews where others stated they didn't catch anything on the AM trip but did on a PM trip. Only one person out of the 10-12 on the trip caught something. But, the trip was great and relaxing. We hit some rough waters going out, but the trip and the experience was great. They have snacks and drinks available for purchase prior to boarding the boat. I would suggest bringing your own along with your own cooler. No complaints.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

3rd Year with the Kelley outfit. This year we had to spend time with a friend from Jamaica so when she went back, it was already 5 days into the holiday. There was a gale blowing and predictably not enough people turned up at Haulover Marina to justify a boat going out for 3 days.

When we eventually went out, fishing was very lean for a few days but I managed to reel in a 10lb Kingfish....job nearly done...now Mahi Mahi and/or Grouper.

With a few days of the vacation left and only the King to my name, a little bird (actually it was Mike) whispered conspiratorially in my ear: "An all day fishing trip on Tuesday, secret spot, live bait, loadsa fish, $100 plus $25 for the tip", only 12 people on board.

Hmm, I don't usually go for paying tips up front, it is for service rendered, no service expected and I prefer to give what I choose. But as the fishing had been lean, promise of an extravaganza was too good to miss....I was in.

Monday night I slept well with dreams of Mahi Mahi leaping over the bow and stern of the Atlantis, Kingfish pulling me and the rod overboard as drags could not be set tight enough due to their size.

Arrived circa 0545 at the dock, food, beer and an IHOP breakfast in tow. My spot was already set with a rod loaned to me by Larry (thanks compadre) in the holder.
One of the guys asked me to join a pool, $10 in the pot, the biggest fish wins $100. Oh no !! not that scam again......I looked around at the rest of guys with up to 5 rods each + humongous amount of bait and look at my solitary rod and dead ballyhoo and declined the offer....the guy, I was introduced to as reverend George from 163rd St.

I went inside to put down my bag when I overheard Jamie asking Cleon for $75....what !!! maybe it was the up front tip for 3 people....I would hate to think that there was "mates rates" been charged to other people...while I forked out $125...

06:15, we headed out, I retreated inside with my IHOP breakfast. Now !! I thought we were heading out to sea to some secret fishing spot, so imaging my surprise when I exited and viewed the skyline...I was opposite my hotel on 5200 block heading South...Lincoln ST....5th St....WTF !!!! surely a left turn was due...We duly arrived in fishing grounds familiar to me from outings with the Reward Fleet, but who was I to complain. Cpt Jamie manoeuvred the boat and I dispensed with the usual sign of the cross and hail Mary as I caught sign of the reverend George in the corner of my eye and wistfully cast my dead ballyhoo on a king rig, over the side.

3 1/2 hours later...nada ! not a fish on the boat....we headed back towards whence we came..

It was very lean fishing for most of the day and I got fed up of my line tangling every time I dropped it....the guys though were catching the odd fish on chicken rigs..but, hey !!! I didn't come 5000 miles across the Atlantic to catch anything less that 10lbs so I persevered with by now badly chewed ballyhoo on the King Rig.

By dark the fishes were beginning to bite (on chicken rigs) and Jamie did a few quick drops.

With the last drop due and still not one fish to my name, I asked Mike to change my rig, "what would you like me to get you", he asked. Where are we going next, I asked him to which he sardonically replied "You won't need a rod where you are going next"...smarmy git...but nonetheless, he set me up a two hook chicken rig and on the final drop of the night, I looked across at the reverend George (fat lot of use he was)..shouted HAIL MAAAARY and threw my rig overboard. There was an instantaneous tug on the rig and I reeled it in expecting the usually clump of algae or coral.....holy moly, it was a snapper which measured 16 and 1 millionth of an inch...it was a KEEPER.........hence the title.

After having my fish scaled and gutted, I returned to the hotel, the valet guys who I had promised loadsa fish were waiting expectantly..No Pescado !!!......No Feeesh !!!. Sorry guys, it was a lean day... as they viewed the plastic bag (with the solitary snapper) suspiciously I slunk inside, thoroughly exhausted......It was a great day, nonetheless...see you next years guys....

1  Thank glenne_n
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have been fishing with the Kelley Fleet family since 1990. These guys know how to catch fish! Whether you want to do some drift fishing during the day or grab some snapper at night, the Kelley Fleet crew are the only guys I trust to keep me on the fish.

Their captains and mates are knowledgable, friendly, and all around GREAT fishermen! They will take care of you and help you PUT 'EM IN THE BOAT!

Did I mention their prices are lower than most of the boats in the South Florida area?

Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

Went out for a morning fishing trip and had a outstanding experience. Calvin the mate was great I caught a bonita which was the toughest fish I ever caught