“I would rather be homeless that stay in this inhumane place!!”

Tropics Hotel & Hostel
“I would rather be homeless that stay in this inhumane place!!”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

As we drove up our first sign of disgust to hell Was a dingy Tropics sign. There were cigarette butts on the entry carpet & several people drinking beer in the shabby lobby. While the desk host was ok, when he handed me a dinosaur key, tv remote & charged me $20 for it, I knew there would be problems. As we entered the 2 person elevator with 4 pieces of luggage - REALLY! I stumbled over the dirty pink carpet. Walking down the hallway of doom to my room, I dreaded what I would see on the opposite side of the door. We could not believe the sight! Smelly old carpet, an ancient bathroom that looked as if it belong to my great great grandma on a plantation. There was only 1 outlet in the room & 1 washcloth in the bathroom for 2 people. The bedspread had stains on it & I could only imagine what was underneath on the sheets. I could hear peopple talking clearly next door and in the dark & gloomy hallways. I also heard every step that was taken above my head. At that point we immediately left this dump with no place to go. We checked in at 12:30am & we were out by 1:00am! Never in my life have I ever nor would I ever pay to sleep in those conditions! After calling around, we checked into a downtown class act hotel. The price could not make up for the poor quality. The location could not camoflague the despicable horrific conditions at Tropics!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank misschannie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
La Plata, Argentina
Reviewed 4 May 2012

In general my staying was good at Tropics Hostel & Hostel. 2 days in Miami
The room was big and clean as well as the bathroom. For those that do not like carpets, forget going to this Hostel&Hotel. It does not smell very well. It is a old hotel but it seems they are all the same age in that zone.
You do not have free parking.
It is near ocean drive street and the beach. In 15 minutes I was at the airport by car, Very good!
Guys it's hostel/hotel, the ratio quality-price is ok! you are in Miami!

Improvements:
Add breakfast to the rate. it would give you competitivity.
Change the carpet!

1 Thank Bertola
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Good option if you want a cheap and quiet place in Miami beach. I stay in a dorm, so I can only write about the dorms. However, they also have private rooms. The dorms are nice because they have a good size and most of them are shared only by 4 people. So, you don't feel that you are sharing with too many people. Another positive feature: it has a swimming pool and a nice common area around it, where you can relax, read a book or just take the sun.
Negative: the staff is totally unfriendly. The beds and furniture in general a bit dated.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JosephCartaphilus
Munich
Reviewed 24 April 2012

only if you are a student on a low budget or are a bunch of guys or girls that are hanging for a weekend and do not care. The older you are the less energy you have for this kind of place. It is quite loud, needs updating, and the staff is not friendly, more unfriendly. The rooms are clean but so shappy they feel dirty. No hairdryer, no ice machine, no fridge, nothing. We were only in Miami for 3 days and 2 nights so we thought this would be ok.
Wrong..
Go on and put out the bucks and enjoy Miami which is fantastic.
The tropics is a good location but as I wrote, put out the bucks and stay in a nicer place.

Room Tip: Eat at the Peruvian resturant around the corner, great place.
1 Thank TeeBow

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Stockholm
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This hotel has a good location, close to Lincoln road and the beach. Good value for money but don't expect a great standard. The rooms are in good sizes and beds are ok, but the bathroom is a bit scabby. Covenient with a parking garage just around the corner.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Resigenochigen
USA
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Tropics Hotel during the 2nd week of April. The location of the hotel is perfect! Heart of South Beach and, as a result, within walking distance to Lincoln and Ocean. The rooms are dated but functional, cleaned daily and timely, front desk help most kind and helpful, the pool is quite nice and the value can't be beat!

Will return,

M/M D. Greve

• Stayed April 2012
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I fully agree with every word of Borinski. We had been travelling from Washington DC to Florida for 17 days in end of March/beginning of April 2012 and saw many hotels. Tropics belongs to the worst we met not because of a lack of hairdrayer, coffe making facilities or fridge in the room but because of unfrendliness of its front desk staff. They simply do not want to help you. I had been asking for 3 days for a hairdryer and never got one. checkin-out we asked for a full and formal invoice, not just a receipt, for our more than 500 dollars spent there and we were refused. Writing emails to the manager is a futile effort - he never answers. I wonder if anyone of that sort exists. The place is probably not managed at all. They just change towels and bed linen and do not bother for the rest. As long as the walls stay where they were built.

Room Tip: Do not ever accept room No 310. Generally 2nd floor rooms are better.