“Excellent value!”

Tropics Hotel & Hostel
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Helpful, friendly staff; basic, clean, comfortable room; nice pool with a covered patio that includes an outdoor range and community fridges for people who want to cook their own food. It's a very international crowd so I met people from all over. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank emilycatherine

Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and i must say that the best thing here is the location, the swimming pool and the kitchen. The price is also a fair.
The room probably will get crowded because its size.
Recommended if you are looking for a hostel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Nabilios
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I attended a meeting at the Convention Center from June 9 to 13, 2012. I wanted a hotel near the convention center for June 8 to 13, 2012.

For five days my charge was under $400. The cost was $435 with tax and fees. I could have saved 3% if I had paid cash. I was asked to pay $20 in cash on admission. I was then given a remote control for the television. I returned the remote control on check-out to receive my $20.

This is an art deco structure of 3 stories probably from the early part of the last century. There are 70 rooms. There is a large safe in the room. This is large enough for a laptop computer. Enter a code to close; reenter the code to open.

On entry I found soap and shampoo in the bathroom. The shampoo was not provided again. On a couple of days no soap was supplied.

There was no glass provided. I bought coffee at McDonalds. Then I used the coffee cup for drinking water.

There was a pool on the first floor. I did not use it.

There was a computer in the lobby for Internet and other uses by guests.

I was told by the staff that local calls are cheaper with the pay phones in the lobby than from the hotel phones in the rooms.

There is no door man. I carried my luggage to my room.

The room is a comfortable carpeted space with a comfortable queen bed. There is a television mounted in the wall.

This is fine budget accommodation. Take soap, shampoo, toiletries, and drinking cups with you. You must go out to eat. There is no refrigerator or hot plate for cooking in the room.

There is no restaurant in the hotel. There are several places to eat nearby.

The site is on Collins a block from Loew's Hotel. The convention center is a few blocks away.

The 150 Airport Flyer bus goes from the bus terminal near Terminal E of the Miami International Airport to Lincoln Road and Washington Street, a couple of blocks from the hotel for $2.35. When you leave the hotel, walk to Collins and 17th Street to the bus stop to return to the airport.

June is the rainy season. It rained heavily for four hours on my first day. Some days were sunny. Temperature were in the 90s during the day and in the 80s at night. It was hot and humid all the time.

Clubs and bars are nearby. They are open until 5 am.

Parking is a problem. Take public transportation or taxis.

Room Tip: The third floor Rooms 306 to 314 face a quiet courtyard.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ColasBaltimore
Reviewed 8 June 2012

As we drove up our first sign of disgust to hell Was a dingy Tropics sign. There were cigarette butts on the entry carpet & several people drinking beer in the shabby lobby. While the desk host was ok, when he handed me a dinosaur key, tv remote & charged me $20 for it, I knew there would be problems. As we entered the 2 person elevator with 4 pieces of luggage - REALLY! I stumbled over the dirty pink carpet. Walking down the hallway of doom to my room, I dreaded what I would see on the opposite side of the door. We could not believe the sight! Smelly old carpet, an ancient bathroom that looked as if it belong to my great great grandma on a plantation. There was only 1 outlet in the room & 1 washcloth in the bathroom for 2 people. The bedspread had stains on it & I could only imagine what was underneath on the sheets. I could hear peopple talking clearly next door and in the dark & gloomy hallways. I also heard every step that was taken above my head. At that point we immediately left this dump with no place to go. We checked in at 12:30am & we were out by 1:00am! Never in my life have I ever nor would I ever pay to sleep in those conditions! After calling around, we checked into a downtown class act hotel. The price could not make up for the poor quality. The location could not camoflague the despicable horrific conditions at Tropics!

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank misschannie
Reviewed 4 May 2012

In general my staying was good at Tropics Hostel & Hostel. 2 days in Miami
The room was big and clean as well as the bathroom. For those that do not like carpets, forget going to this Hostel&Hotel. It does not smell very well. It is a old hotel but it seems they are all the same age in that zone.
You do not have free parking.
It is near ocean drive street and the beach. In 15 minutes I was at the airport by car, Very good!
Guys it's hostel/hotel, the ratio quality-price is ok! you are in Miami!

Improvements:
Add breakfast to the rate. it would give you competitivity.
Change the carpet!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Bertola
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Good option if you want a cheap and quiet place in Miami beach. I stay in a dorm, so I can only write about the dorms. However, they also have private rooms. The dorms are nice because they have a good size and most of them are shared only by 4 people. So, you don't feel that you are sharing with too many people. Another positive feature: it has a swimming pool and a nice common area around it, where you can relax, read a book or just take the sun.
Negative: the staff is totally unfriendly. The beds and furniture in general a bit dated.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank JosephCartaphilus
Reviewed 24 April 2012

only if you are a student on a low budget or are a bunch of guys or girls that are hanging for a weekend and do not care. The older you are the less energy you have for this kind of place. It is quite loud, needs updating, and the staff is not friendly, more unfriendly. The rooms are clean but so shappy they feel dirty. No hairdryer, no ice machine, no fridge, nothing. We were only in Miami for 3 days and 2 nights so we thought this would be ok.
Wrong..
Go on and put out the bucks and enjoy Miami which is fantastic.
The tropics is a good location but as I wrote, put out the bucks and stay in a nicer place.

Room Tip: Eat at the Peruvian resturant around the corner, great place.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family