“Good room for reasonable price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tropics Hotel & Hostel

Tropics Hotel & Hostel
“Good room for reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

I think this is the best choice if you choose the hotel with low prices and good location. I stayed in this hotel for 1 week and my budget was limited, it looks quite old inside, but clean and nice for this price. My Macedonian friend advised me to stay here when she heard I was planning to go to Miami. She told me that I would not find anything better for this low price. I totally agree with her. The hotel is just 5 minutes walking to Ocean drive and Miami beach, I liked our room. The bed-linen was clean and fresh, same like the room, the tv was working, we had a small kitchen too. There is a pool in the hotel, which we couldn't even expect for this price. My friends and I enjoyed our time there. I will recommend for the people that are not looking for a luxury hotel and want to save their money and enjoy their time at the same time.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Кристина Л

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I visit South Beach twice each year and almost always plan my stay at The Tropics. I find the hotel to be clean, basic and comfortable and includes a nice pool for the money. The hotel is close to everything including the beach only a block away! I find the staff friendly andI enjoy meeting them each time I visit South Beach! I will return to this good value for the dollar in Miami!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank StevePa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I love the staff, they were so easygoing and friendly. Rooms are decent but people were great. Bathrooms are nice. The building is great and i like the location of that hostel very much! You can walk 3 minutes to Miami beach!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank grzesio84
Frederiksberg, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

The room:
We booked a double room with private bath & toilet. It was a good choice. The size was great compared to European rooms, but standard to American sizes. The bed was comfy and the room was quite basic but cozy. It would be a great improvement if they installed a refrigerator in the room.

The room had a bedroom, and a small walk inn closet. The bathroom/toilet was quite basic and quite old but still ok. It had what you needed and compared to the price and location it was great value.

Location:
The location was superb. You had everything at South Beach in walking distance. The lovely beaches, the gay bars/discos, lots of lovely restaurants and a cinema.

Cleaning/reception:
The cleaning staff did a great job and the room was cleaned everyday and they did a good job. The two receptionist a female and a male was both very friendly and helpsome! :) Thanks for a great service!

Will we come back?
If we come back to Miami this hotel/hostel will be in our mind when booking up again. It is basic but great value for the money and the location was awesome. The customers at the hotel are of all types from the biker to the banker who just want a simple hotel with a pool and great location. So if you don't use that much time at the hotel normally and just use it for a sleep it is definitely worth it. If you are the type who like to hang around at the hotel for a lot of the vacation then you should take something of higher standard.

A special thanks to the guy at the reception for his brilliant service through our vacation!

We give it four stars total for the great service level and price compared to value. It is not a four star quality but compared to the price it is in the good end of the scale :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Vendelbo
Warsaw, Poland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

When I searched for hotels for my trip to Miami in November 2013, I realized it’s best to stay in South Beach as this is were all the action takes place. Unfortunately, most hotels in or near the Art Deco district proved to be very expensive and all other decent accommodation was definitely too far away for my taste. The Tropics seemed to be ideal, combining a great location (on Collins Ave, just 1 block from Ocean Drv) with low prices. As also most reviews in the internet were positive, I decided to book this hotel. A great mistake!!
When I entered the hotel after a long journey, it did not look too bad. Although I expected a little more, the lobby and reception area were clean and proper, even if a little old fashioned.
Soon after I had received my room key, I started to change my mind. The corridor leading to my room on the groud floor looked so run down and intimidating with its dark walls, bad lightning and torn carpet floor. Unfortunately, my room was in the same condition. I immediately took a look on the bed linen which thankfully was clean and fresh. Otherwise, I would have walked out and searched for an other hotel (although I prepaid my entire stay).
All furniture looked so old and run down, the carpet floor was dirty and torn and the windows have probably not be cleaned for ages. The bathroom was even worse: the washbasin and bath tub were on their way to change their colour into black, the toilet was far from being sanitary and there was hair on the (nearly black) floor. I did not even dare to enter the bath tub shoeless. Although my room faced the inner courtyard, there was noise from outside at night, caused by drunken European tourists. Given the condition of my room, I spent as little time as possible in the hotel and refrained from eating breakfast or visiting the small and shabby pool.
As mentioned above, the only advantage of the Tropics is it’s favourable location: it takes only minutes to walk to Ocean Drv and there are dozens of nice restaurants and bars as well as several bus lines in its immediate surroundings. But location did not make up for all those weak points.
I did not expect a 5 star property and I am not nitpicking at all. Still I believe that the Tropics lacked of basic cleanliness and this is unaccaptable. It was absolutely not up to American standards and I would never stay there again.

Room Tip: there is no good room at this place
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank WAW-Traveler

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Old hotel with character! Friendly staff and quick check in. Location is right in the middle of all the action, one block from a walgreens, rooms were small, simple, and clean. Wish there was more outlets, but clear signal to Wifi. Price is great, almost a cant beat. Recommend if your wanting to spend a weekend close to the beach. and you dont want boring

Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

I knew this was a low cost hotel when I booked and I was fine with that. The room was basic but nice with plenty of space. There's a very nice pool and the overall vibe is good. HOWEVER, neither the wifi nor the AC worked properly throughout our entire stay. We repeatedly told the staff at the front desk of our problems and they repeatedly seemed annoyed with us and told us there was nothing they could do. So we were left with a very warm room and no internet and just had to deal. It's a shame because otherwise this would be a great budget place to stay in Miami Beach. But when promised amenities aren't working the least you can do is apologize. Beyond that, I'd expect to be offered SOMETHING; a partial refund or a different room would have been great. Instead, they gave me an attitude and acted as if I was bothering them.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 3rd floor appear to have individual AC units. They might actually work if you book...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple