“Good value, excellent location”
Review of Dorchester Hotel

Dorchester Hotel
Ranked #120 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Canada
“Good value, excellent location”
Reviewed 9 January 2010

The hotel is in a great location as previous reviewers mentioned. You walk 5 min to the beach, very close to Lincoln Road with lots of restaurants and shops. The building itself is very old, but it sems like they renovated parts of it and the rooms are clean. They put new hardwood floors(I think is hardwood) and new beds in the rooms. But the carpets in hallways are very old and they really need to be replaced. If you need good night sleep ask for the room on the oposite side of the street. The first night we were there it was New Years eve and the music in the hotel's cafe was on until the morning, and then you hear street noise, and on top of all that there was a noise comming from the bathroom. Our phone did not work also. The next night we switched to the oposite side of the building and got the discount because of all the inconviniences we experienced the night before. You do pay for the parking and there is a chance if the hotel is crouded you wil have to park somewhere else but they tell you where you can do that.
Overall the hotel is clean, beds are good, service is good, building is old and needs major renovation.
If you are there for a couple of nights and don't want to spend too much on the hotel then this hotel is good option. But again before you unpack, check if everything works in the room, if not ask for another one.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
jvalera, Asst. General Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2010
Thank you for your comments. South Beach on New Year's is definitely something else, and we are glad we could be part of that. We have redone our rooms with new flooring, furniture, flat screen TV's, and other amenities to imporve the total guest experience, but from your comments, there is more we could do to improve. We hear you! Although you may have had some issues while here, I am glad our staff showed they cared and got you to a room that suited you better. We are striving to become one of the best options in South Beach, and although our location is prime, we never stop our efforts to keep our guests coming back. We hope that next time you are here, we continue to show you our unique charm, along with new improvements. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 8 January 2010

We had a post-cruise stay at the Dorchester Hotel for one night. We were familiar with the Dorchester and sister hotel the Marseille as we knew the previous Manager Andres Mantilla and had stayed there in the past.

The Dorchester advertises in various travel publications and so we used one of their special promotions but were told when we called to book using the special offer that it was only valid for walk-ins only and the difference in rate between the special offer and regular rate was over $100 so we drove to the hotel and checked in.

They charge $20+ per day for parking - which is limited so checking in early is a must in order to get parking. They charge $15 per day for wired or wireless internet access which is a bit steep as many comparable properties are offering it for free. However, they do have a business centre that offers complimentary computer access with internet - however no printer to print out plane tickets etc...

The room was well appointed with a great bed, excellent pillows, nice furniture and toiletries. Overall the room was excellent and clean.

The halls are a bit cluttered with cots in the hall near our room and the halls are a bit dark but overall the property offers great value in one of the best areas in the Deco district if you are there to eat and shop.

We felt sorry for Rosa who was the only desk clerk working at the time we checked in and there was a long line up of guests with late check-outs. The check-in and out process was a bit arduous but Rosa did it with a smile.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your response. I am sure for those that have stayed with us in the past, the Dorchester has readily improved; we are glad you can keep coming back. As to parking, we do offer self-parking (unlimited ins and outs), on a first-come-first-serve basis, as we have limited spots. However, we find that this is a huge plus for many guests visiting South Beach who are sometimes forced to valet and wait for their vehicles, and/or park in far away lots. As for internet, we do charge $12, but it's for the entire stay, thus, if you stay 10 days, you only pay for internet once, while offering a free internet lobby computer as well to all guests. The Dorchester is a boutique hotel that caters both to the independent traveler, as well as those looking for extra pampering. Thank you for your continued support, and for letting us know how to improve.
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 6 January 2010

The staff was friendly but the hotel is old and the furnishings in the room have been there for a LONG time. We got a suite and the carpets and furniture were all old, stained and have lots of wear and tear.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
jvalera, Asst. General Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2010
Alexandria21, thank you for your comments. The Dorchester Hotel also services 30 apartment suites, along with 100 recently-finished rooms with all the expected amenities. We offer the apartment suites to guests that require more space, such as large families, and usually their response is extremely positive, as you cannot find such a facility anywhere else in South Beach. Nevertheless, we are listening to what our guests are telling us, and just how we redid our 100 rooms, we have commenced plans to do the same in the apartment suites in the latter part of 2010.

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

New York City
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Very good value for the price you pay. Steps from the beach, Ocean Dr and Lincoln Road, which are the most visited areas of South Beach with lots of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Clean, spacious rooms, pool and nice staff. Parking is extra, however, there is a cheaper one nearby. I have stayed there 3 times with friends and highly recommend it if you do not want to overpay in Miami.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
jvalera, Assistant General Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2010
On behalf of the entire team at the Dorchester Hotel, we would like to thank you for continuing to stay with us, and for letting others know about our service and the convenience of our location.
Juan-Manuel Valera III, AGM
Reviewed 3 January 2010

i went to miami with my dad. the dorchester hotel was great. near by the beaches and the ocean drive, with a pool and great rooms. delicious breakfast. w-lan in the lobby.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank LauraB8
Thank you so much for your comments, and we are extremely happy to know that the Dorchester Hotel was what you and your dad expected!
Juan-Manuel Valera III, AGM
Boston
Reviewed 12 December 2009

I missed my flight, so I called the hotel to ask if my colleague could still check in before I got there. I was told "absolutely not, there is anything I can do for you". I was astonished. They said if I hadn’t already paid for the room this would not be a problem, but since I had there is nothing they can do for me. When I told them my friend would be stranded for they night I was hung up on. Needless to say, I would never stay there again. There are too many other nice places to stay.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Dansesh
jvalera, Asst. General Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2009
Dear readers,
We would like to let everyone know that our hotel strives to always meet our guests ' demands and necessities, if at all possible. Many a times, the bookings done on prepaid sites are not transferrable, and as much as we would like to help our guests, we are not able to let others stay in their stead. It may seem easy to label this as poor customer service, but these same rules are the ones that protect our guests, and guarantee that their rooms will be available, and their room type respected, etc. Poor customer service is when you refuse to help someone, knowingly, when you can. Ensuring that the guest that actually booked the reservation from the prepaid company is the one that actually stays, is respecting our contract and liability as a service provider. We hope this review does not dissuade you from the great service and the beautiful accomodations we strive to provide to all who are interested in staying with us.
Juan Valera III, Asst. GM
Waldorf, MD
Reviewed 28 November 2009

I attended a business conference at the South Beach Convention Center. The Dorchester was great as far as location to the Center (just 3 blocks away) and access to the beach (1 block). It was also close to shopping and local restaurants. This is where my "praise" ends. I stayed on the 1st floor on the wing just off of the lobby. My room was freezing cold the entire time I was there. It was January, but it was fairly warm weather and my colleagues's rooms across the hall from mine were perfectly fine. Management didn't have any heaters so I had to make do with the blankets and sheets on my bed and sleep in sweats every night. I hate sleeping in heavy clothes. I also found the hotel very dated and wondered what "upgrades" were done to it, if any. My room felt like I was living back in the '50's with wooden floors and wooden closets, an old a/c that looked more like an ancient radiator and out of date windows. Ugh. Luckily I only needed it to sleep at night since most of the day I was in seminars. Don't consider this hotel if you're going to be in South Beach for vacation. There are much nicer hotels on the Collins Ave strip that are worth your money. None of my colleagues would stay here again either.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
jvalera, Assistant General Manager at Dorchester Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2009
On behalf of the entire team at the Dorchester Hotel, we would like to apologize for the inconveneicnes you seemed to have enocuntered. I wish you would have not waited until November to let us know about January's experience, nevertheless. Although we seldom encounter fierce cold weather in South Beach, we would have been more than glad to offer you portable heaters, as we know that it sometimes may get cold in the winter months, and these heaters we have plenty of for our guests to use, as well as extra comfy blnakets at the front desk as well. Since you last were here, our hotel has undergone some minor renovations that would ensure a more pleasant stay for you and your colleagues. I would love to have you back, and invite you to contact me directly at jvalera@gomiamibeach.com if I may change your mind about us.