“The mosquitos!”

Ranked #25 of 29 Miami Beach B&B and Inns
Stockholm
“The mosquitos!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

I spent a long week there and had a great time in Miami Beach. The staff at the guest house was also very nice. But the place was so full of mosquitos when I was there in october 2012 that it was absolutely impossible to stay att the courtyard. They were repairing the place though, so maybe it has changed since.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ertigo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed at European Guesthouse in November 2011 and had nothing to complain about. The room was modest, moderate but comfortable and clean.
The patio was a really nice place to chill:Tropical plants all around, whirlpool, nice lighting.
The humble owner (I dont remember his first name) was really nice, friendly and helpful.
The atmosphere was very familiar somehow.
Admittedly not everything was perfect but this well located guesthouse is affordable compare to other places in the neighborhood and you can not expect a 5 stars service for this rate.
Depending on my budget, I'll probably book this guesthouse again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank homelolo
Montevideo, Uruguay
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

My wife and I booked 2 weeks at the European guesthouse. The location wasn't in a very good neighborhood. The Wi-fi was not connected in any way. We were booked two weeks before coming and the only thing I said was make sure the wi-fi was up and running.

Also there was no hot water turned on. When it did get turned on we had to call the next day to have a breaker replaced.

I talked to Carlos and explained why we would be leaving early. At first he wanted to give me a ticket for a free stay within 9 months. I declined. Then he wanted to charge me an increased rate that would have had me paying him more for leaving. I declined.
We came to the agreement that it was only fair that he refund what I paid for the remaining days.
2 weeks pass and nothing. I call him. He says he has handed it over to his "booking department" and doesn't provide me with their info when I asked.
I have confirmation emails from him agreeing to our terms.
I wrote him again today, but it is looking like it will have to go the legal route.

Room Tip: Don't rent the 515 ne 67th location.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank jamestmD

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Rego Park, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Spent a week in this Bed & Breakfast which was like a "Tropical Oasis" in the middle of Art Deco, South Beach, Miami. After arriving, I chose the room with the terrace and private bath. That was the way to go! It resembled something out of the South Pacific Musical. Our friends loved the ambiance in the evenings, on the terrace, as we sipped our wines in the moonlight. Mornings were a soothing quiet and calmness. All types of breakfast foods were provided for you to indulge in with fruits and cakes all day long. It was only a walking distance to the beach, restaurants, and shops from this quiet residential area. The proprietor, Carlos, was more than happy to help you with any concerns. The manager, Robert, is a super nice man who provides you with a lot of information, service, and is available at a moments notice. Wifi is provided as well and the hot tub is inviting. Again, go for the room with the terrace, it was worth it especially compared to some of the prices around the area.

Room Tip: Recommend the bedroom with the terrace and private bath.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Yvette B
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

I chose the Guesthouse because hotels near the Convention Center were wildly over-priced (all of Miami Beach is over-priced). Carlos quoted a great price and then asked if I wanted it to be a bit lower! I didn't; it was a bargain at the rate he quoted. My room was on the small size but fine for one person. The upside was the very large private terrace outside the sliding glass doors. Great spot to hang out in sun and shade. Because the terrace was also covered (plexi, so transparent) it was great when it rained, as well.

Another impressive side of the Guesthouse was the breakfast: eggs were available to cook on the griddle. Nice! Plus a lot of other food to choose from, including fresh blueberries and blackberries. All included in the price.

The walk to the beach is easy; being back a bit is good because the surrounding streets are very quiet compared to the blocks closer the the beachfront.

It was a nice inexpensive choice, it's not the Ritz Carlton, but then you pay $20 there for a bagel. At the Guesthouse a good, hearty, healthy breakfast comes as part of the price.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor room with the private terrace!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Constant_traveller45
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

Everything about the place was gross.
I was afraid of bugs and kept checking everywhere.
I definitively would not get in the hot tub.
I got in late and had nowhere else to go so I stayed one night.
I moved to another hotel as soon as I could
Carlos promised to give me a refund for the nights I didn't stay there.
He lied...he never sent the refund and now won't take my calls.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Malcolm K
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

There's a fine line between charming/characterful and old/in need of renovation. This place treads that line carefully.

Overall i quite liked the place, but my expectations weren't exceeded and the flashy descriptions and photos on their website translated to overgrown/unkempt and in places dirty.

Prices are reasonable, location is ok. I won't be going back, but only because I'm not planning on going back to Miami. I've stayed at much much better places on Miami Beach.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business