“Great Spot To Chill”

The Standard, Miami
Ranked #10 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 4 July 2011

4th of July poolside at The Standard. Chef Ike and staff were gettin on with the best ribs I have had in a long time. My friends were equally pleased and we had a great time! The dock provided a nice place to sit and enjoy the view of the pool and bay.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 July 2011

We recently visited the Standard Hotel in Miami through the Travelzoo website. We were very disappointed with the hotel to say the least. Upon arrival at 5pm to a hotel well misrepresented on-line (appeared more like a youth hostel), we were told our room would be ready 'in a few minutes'. By 6:30pm we returned to the desk upset that we would be missing our dinner reservations.

We then realized they offer no parking- valet only which costs $40/night and takes about 45 minutes to retrieve the car each time. We finally were given room keys to a very small room with a 'spa on the patio' for our inconvenience. The spa on the patio literally was an old bath tub sitting on a small outdoor patio, privacy from your neighbor via shower-like curtains! The room was not located in the garden area but next to an alley way to the front of the hotel.

We had a wonderful dinner at an outside establishment and returned to our hostel-like room to attempt to sleep off a really bad start to our spa experience. We woke up and headed to our $50 valued breakfast. We asked the wait staff what was included and he kindly said whatever you would like- weren't we disappointed when we got the bill for $35 for the 2 meals we ordered (which were not that great anyhow.) We asked what the bill was and he kindly said 'oh the continental breakfast was the 2 pieces of toast and 1 croissant you received with the coffee, the rest is extra!' We were so frustrated we just gave him money and left.

The only plus to the hotel was the spa- but for $150/hour massage I would hope it would be great. The spa staff was completely different than the hotel staff, in a good way. Unfortunately, we will not recommend or return to this hotel. We learned a valuable lesson about on-line deals and were very disappointed by the on-line misrepresentation!

2  Thank ukkat7
ISMiami, General Manager at The Standard, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

Dear ukkat7,
I would like to apologize for your recent experience at The Standard Spa. The promotions we set up are meant to ease travelers and treat them to the service they deserve. I apologize for the lack of communication you received with the promotion and assure you that we have rectified the situation with Travelzoo directly. We hope we see you again at our property soon and offer the service you deserve.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

This hotel's pool area is awesome. The service is not so great so be prepared. Rooms are a bit small but at an off season price who cares? Drinks and food are a bit pricey to make up for that cheap rate. Valet is fast and quick. Hotel staff is nice. Overall a great short nice stay in Miami!

Reviewed 29 June 2011

Me and my husband stayed at this property for one night for my Birthday. I got a great package price over the internet that included some nice Spa credit, comp. breakfast and a late check out at 5pm. We really enjoyed it, but I don't think I would pay regular price for this place.
So the good things were:
The outside gardens with firepit, lounge chairs, ping pong tables and beautiful vegetation.
The pool area with a nice infiniti pool, with a jacuzzi and a cold water pool - all of them we had to ourselves in the middle of the night, which was great. During the day though the pool is really busy.
The spa is really relaxing. I enjoyed a 60 min massage and a 30min scrub in the Hammam - it was awesome and my massage therapist did a great job.
The location - this place is in walking distance of Lincoln Road which is perfect, and the location on one of the Venetian Isles gives the property great views.
Things that need improvement:
The rooms - whereas I don't mind that they are minimalisticly furnished, I do think they need some updating to be a room in a 4 star hotel. The floor looks old and worn out, the outside sitting area is nice, only that we did not have any chairs, all the other rooms had chairs, only our did not. The bathroom could also need a newer look. One of the bathrobes provided had a huge hole. The bed was comfi though. You can hear every time your neighbor closes the door.
The service - in general I think the service is not that of a 4 star hotel as I know it, they just need that little something.
Parking - $37/night - I know it is Miami and pretty much all hotels charge somewhere around the same price, I still think it is ridiculous.

All in all we enjoyed ourselves, and I would definately return to the Spa, probably not to the hotel though.

2  Thank bellalinchen

Dear bellalinchen,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay went. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our spa and property in addition to spending your birthday with us. I would like to apologize for the condition of the floor in your room and the missing chairs. I promise you this is not a regular finding in our rooms and hope that you will stay with us again! We would love to have you back.

Reviewed 29 June 2011

The stay at the standard is pleasant functional and peaceful. The grounds are well kept, the staff friendly, the food is excellent. I will return next time I'm in Miami.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Because the property is beautiful and the rooms are well designed and decorated, I was willing to overlook the slow service in the restaurant, the small, virtually windowless gym and the room service that, after waiting for over an hour, simply never arrived.

However, that my watch and ring were taken from my room... both of which had significant monetary and, more importantly, sentimental value... there are no words.

I reported this to security and was told that they would look into it. It has been almost a week and I have not heard a word from anyone. I have called almost every day, twice a day since checking out and left messages. None of my calls have been returned.

This experience has been beyond disappointing. It's just heartbreaking.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank kthrnmrgrt

Dear kthrnmrgrt,
Thank you for your comments. We hope to rectify this with you as well as perform an investigation. Our Director of Guest Relations will be in contact soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

We purchased a "special deal" through Travelzoo.
There were some charges they left out, or did not disclose, that my wife and I felt were very relevant to the overall cost/price. In addition, a couple other things were not what we were led to believe.

First, it said it included breakfast (a $40.00 value).
Nope.
They have a breakfast, but it wasn't "that" breakfast. It was the continental breakfast that was given to us on a plate. Toast and a another item of equal value.

Next, we were told, "no one under 14 is allowed".
Nope.
Children and babies were everywhere.

Next, the parking. Basically, $40.00 per night. We reserved an extra night at the time of booking. We were told that extra nights were $139.00.
Nope. Add the $40.00 for parking.

Both the manager and the desk "person" (at different times) agreed that the parking fees of over $37.00 per night, should have been disclosed in the advertizement/promotion.

Manager said he would have Travelzoo call us.
Nope.
Manger said he would called them again and they said they would call.
Nope.
Asked again to have them call. He said, "he would call them and he was sure they would call me".
Nope, never.

One last thing: They bill themselves as very "Zen" like.
However, we noticed no where to recycle a thing. Plastic, cans and everything else were piled up in the garbage cans. We're not nuts about recycling, but we do at home.
We just thought it was strange that they asked us to "reserve our water usage to protect the planet", but everything goes in the trash.

Be careful of a "wolf in sheep's clothing"

3  Thank udocre82

Dear udocre82,
Thanks for letting us know your thoughts and concerns. We have addressed all of your comments and take everything sincerely. We apologize for any inconvenience with the special promotion and hope to see you back at the property!