“As hedonistic as you can get without getting arrested!”

The Standard, Miami
Ranked #10 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I have stayed at "The Standard Miami" several times and it is truly an oasis in South Beach. My only reluctance in writing this review is that others will find it and spoil the secret. The Standard is truly a secret, one which reveals itself to you in layers, much like a fine piece of art or a classic bottle of wine. First there is the nondescript facade of the property which is unassuming, in fact you might pass by it, but once you find it, you will you be greeted by a private and secluded entry by some of Miami's friendliest and attentive valet and bell staff. This as you will learn is a foundational theme of the property - friendly and attentive.

As you enter the lobby, you may find yourself having to adjust to the minimalist nature of the lobby and lounge areas. Again another secret revealed, The Standard is not pretentious or overbearing, it lets you be you and unlike many other properties in South Beach (many of which I have stayed at) this property feels like home - like your home from the moment you arrive.

As you traverse the double glass doors to the back yard, you are quickly surrounded by tropical fauna that reminds you of a jungle island, miles from anything. Continue to walk and find your room or checkout the pool and awesome views of the bay or Miami's city skyline and cruise ships. By the way the pool is open 24 hours a day...another well kept secret.

If you have a "wet" room you have access to a secluded outdoor tube where you can take long baths with your significant other - or just melt away the hours listening to your tunes on your iPod. I could go on and on, but it would take a novel - the Spa is unbelievable, the gym is top notch for a hotel gym and the food is great. If you really want to go some place that is sexy, erotic and allows you to forget your life this is the place. On second thought, strike that this is too good a place to share...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JohnG3

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Gem of a place. Excellent relaxing potential. Great yoga classes too.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I would not book a room here ever again, the staff are a bunch of kids that don't speak english, the lobby is a joke, one table and some rocking chairs, the windows were dirty upon arrival, the parking siutaion is terrible, $37 per day to park your car, and it took over an hour to get it back to drive into town and have dinner, they park them off the the premisies. The rooms ,well , they gave us an upgrade because our room wasn't ready, and said that there was a tub on the patio, well, there was a bathtub sitting on some raw cedar deck that was our patio, no nightstands in the roo, , tney use picnic baskets on the floor. The property is very ,very , very run down, an absolutley deplorable situation....The location was horrible, not walking distance to anything, and not even near the beach.... Do not stay here, EVER.. I was shocked at the condition of the property, and level of service.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alexis070
bsoriano, Manager at The Standard, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Dear Alexis070,

We will use it constructively as we strive to provide optimal service to each and every guest. Please accept my apologies for our inability to provide a memorable and lasting experience. We value your opinion and hope you will return and view us in a different light.

Reviewed 14 July 2011

First things first, this is not your typical hotel. So if you enjoy luxury, design service, private hideaways, tranquil surroundings and great views - read on. But if you're someone who doesn't 'get' boutique living then this is not the place for you.

The moment we checked in we were greeted by JC who was basically our private concierge for the entire stay. He knew everything we needed and made it easy to navigate the sometimes over crowded and annoying south beach. Our room wasn't ready 3 hours prior to check-in but he assured us not to worry as he upgraded us to the 'full spread' room which boasts amazing bay views a soaking tub and a private balcony.

The food was divine. With a fusion of spa fare and Mediterranean treats we enjoyed everything from a flower pot of fries and a turkey burger pool side to some of the best Branzino and mussels I've ever had at Lido.

The spa is complimentary with your stay and we enjoyed the warm surface of the hamamam after we relaxed in a soaking tub. The sauna and steam rooms are so relaxing that you literally walk out moving slowly. Once you arrive its important to embrace the sheer romance of standard Miami and let go of the stress of the outside world. My blackberry was locked in a safe for all of the trip and both couples recall this as a trip that did not disappoint.

The Standard is spread out on a spacious part of the island and we'd spend our days lounging by the pools jumping from the water fall hot tub to icy cold plunge pool and then swimming in the main pool which mimics walking into the ocean. We MUST mention that NO CHILDREN and NO CHLORINE (softer salt cleanses pool) made this a pool vacation without screaming children and garbage. Our evenings were spent watching sunset and gathering around the fire pit in well designed lounge beds. One night my girlfriend was the winner of a hula hoop contest.

The staff were all extremely friendly and stopped to have conversations and make sure we were always enjoying our stay.

For the cost I'm over the moon with how great the standard was to us. I've stayed at all of the big hotels on SOBE and still have my favorites but the standard spa offered me an Island retreat that we are happy to come back to. We slept late - ate great food - felt very relaxed and did not break the bank. I've traveled the globe and still think the standard brand knows what they're doing.

Room Tip: Ask for a wet room
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank RasheedjDaniel
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This hotel was so cozy. I loved the hanging chairs, and all the places to hang out and enjoy the Miami weather! The pool is great. The staff are so friendly and helpful. I think it was Frank at the front desk that was so helpful and gave me delicious restaurant recommendations and suggestions! I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I went for a weekend with my daughter the last week in June.
The property itself is ok, cute, quaint- but nothing special, ther are many other places in Miami Beach that are far better. The rooms were mediocre- sort of a boutique-hotel-wanna-be, they sorely miss the mark here. The continental breakfast was truly an insult- 2 croissants and toast- which were included in our package but since my daughter can not eat gltuen, she was not able to have it, no offer to subsitute or give some allwoance towards a breakfast she could eat. When we asked the front desk person if he had a lighter or matches, he replied, not not really ( I am not making this up) , another staff memeber told us we could walk out to the resturant to get some- which was not close and it was raining. There was very little effort to provide any customer service, most of the staff had a lousy attitude - there were only a couple of people that did not seem like they were in sheer agaony when asked a question. Have to say the worst service I have ever had from hotel staff and I have travelled quite a bit.
What was fabulous was the spa- the staff and treatments were great and so was the food at the Lido restaurant. I could never recommend this hotel to any of my friends and I doubt that any of them would go there just for spa and restaurant. Hope that Mr Balazs is made aware of the mediocraty of his property as I am sure that it is not his intention to provide a product that is way below the standard of most travellers.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank francescapW1217UE
ISMiami, General Manager at The Standard, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

Dear FZC123,
Thanks for taking the time out to write us a review. I would like to apologize for the service you received specifically for the continental breakfast incident as well as the customer service you received. We have read your comments and are taking steps to ensure this will not happen again. I assure you that this is not a common finding and hope you will give us the opportunity to turn this experience around. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Standard Spa soon.

Reviewed 4 July 2011

4th of July poolside at The Standard. Chef Ike and staff were gettin on with the best ribs I have had in a long time. My friends were equally pleased and we had a great time! The dock provided a nice place to sit and enjoy the view of the pool and bay.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends