“Standard Miami -- luxurious spa”

The Standard, Miami
Ranked #11 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We stayed for three nights and took full advantage of the spa services... great workout room, great steam room, great sauna, great pool. The room was nice, with good AC and a comfy bed, a great shower and wonderful soap/lotion/products in the bathroom. There was noise, though, a lot for a spa... noise outside from people "playing" and noise inside from next door and overhead. Too bad.
The food in the restaurant is quite good, with options for healthy as well as indulgent options. The service is not good. They are polite and nice, but given how many of them there are, it was slooooow. Also, they should step up and correct behavior more. The spa has lots of "rules" which would make it a nice place (like no kids, quiet voices, clean up spaces) but these aren't enforced. The steam room was covered in towels. There were kids pretty much everywhere and the pool area was smoky and noisy.
Overall, a good place. Overpriced, but with good features.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Memo-lo
There are newer reviews for The Standard, Miami

Reviewed 11 December 2011

My friend and I booked this hotel on hotwire.com. We were so excited, being that we knew about the "standard" reputation in other cities. Hotwire rated this hotel a 4 star hotel . I ask you on what planet do you have to pull the table off the wall in order to eat in a 4 star hotel??. As stated by numerous other reviews the rooms are small and meet the minimal cleaniness standards. It is NOT a four star!!, may be two1/2. We felt we were seriously misled. I called hotwire, whom of course was no help and told me to talk to the hotel in regards to my issues.

The next morning my friend answered the hotel phone at 8:00am, in which they had informed
her that her car had been in an accident at 4:00am. WE HAD CHECKED into the hotel around 12:30 - 1:00 am!! Keep in mind two valet drivers were in the car?? So many questions, why
didn't they call us at 4:00am when the accident happened, why was two people in the car.???
The good thing is they stepped up and we had a rental by 10am, but after they found out a
loophole in the Florida law, they insisted that my girl friend return the rental, before she could
find another car(she had to wait and see if the insurance was going to total the car, if so then
she had to shop for another) all of which takes time. By the way she is in sales, so she is
dependent on Transportation for her livelihood.
I felt the need to write about this months later because so many of the negative reviews are not being addressed. Answer the questions general manager!! WHY ARE THERE MULTIPLE COMPLAINTS OF THEFT OUT OF CUSTOMERS ROOM AND EVEN OUT OF THE SAFE?
Have the in house thieves been caught? Why is the staff still rude and unengaged? Why are
the rooms dingy?(how dare you insult Turkish decor or Scandinavian modernism). These are
the complainants that have been consistently written. In my opinion there are better places to
stay, some of which also have fantastic pools.

Room Tip: There is nothing In the world that I could say to help you pick a good room in this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank pander71
ISMiami, General Manager at The Standard, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2012

Dear pander71,
Thank you for taking the time out to share your thoughts. We take all comments and concerns seriously and apologize that our hotel did not meet your expectations. We are committed in providing a safe, clean and welcoming environment for all. I assure you that each of our guest rooms undergo a thorough inspection before having our guests arrive in their rooms. I truly apologize for the unfortunate situation with regards to the car incident and promise you that our guest needs come before our own. We have addressed your experience with our valet company.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

Whether you are into natural wellbeing or not, you leave the Standard renewed. A serene setting, an amazing spa and hamam, idyllic pool and service; I was not left wanting for one moment. The location lets you enjoy Miami's best, but keeps you tucked away from the crowds.

Room Tip: Ground units have an open front porch, while upstairs units do not.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank caroberry1
Reviewed 5 December 2011

The Standard is a beautiful facility and the perfect place to stay if you want to be close to SoBe but don't want the crowds. Fabulous facilities and food and lovely location.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the bar/restaurant area. We moved as the first room we had was a bit noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We've stayed here a few times and every time it's been a highlight of the holiday. As soon as we walk in the relaxing calm atmosphere is amazing. The rooms are simple but well designed and very comfortable, I'd recommend the ones on the first floor as they tend to be a bit quieter than those on the ground floor.
The pool and surrounding area are great as is the huge spa with Hamman, steam, sauna, and rain showers.
The restaurante is also fantastic, the setting is beautiful on the waters edge and the food whilst not cheap is some of the best we've had.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Tucked onto Belle Isle (once the JC Penny Estate), the Standard is an oasis just blocks from Lincoln Road and the hustle of South Beach, but with the serenity of a more remote island.

Here, the vibe is relaxed, tropical chic. The hotel is luxurious but low key - offering one of the best pools in south beach, one of the only outdoor restaurants and boasting a spa that has to be seen to be believed. But it's also relaxed: the hotel offers ping-pong and tether ball!

A yoga and health focused spa menu features fresh, organic ingredients throughout. The rooms are on the small side, but are mostly in bungalows which is quite cool. Very comfortable beds and the bathrooms are well appointed. A great stay!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Where to begin.
I already changed my departure date to get out of here early and cancelled my holiday stay here with the wife.

Came here for a week while we were shooting a commercial nearby. Initially I was excited because of the pool and amenities but besides the pool, there is no reason to come here.

Here are some reasons why.....

1) Caterpillars in the rooms. They know about it and yet they cannot do anything about they say. We are not talking about little ones. We are talking about 2 inch long red things. Pretty embarrassing when two clients check in and find them in their rooms.

2) Valet attendants are horrible. Not all of them but when I call for my car, i expect it to be there in 15 minutes. i don't think that is asking for much. Half of the time they either forgot or miscommunication or something. Of course those were the times that I had an important meeting to attend and the attendants just looked at me like "oops".
We had an urgent meeting to get to so I called well in advance to make sure my car was ready. Of course I walked out and no car. When I angrily asked for my car, the valet attendant didn't apologize but said "give me 4 minutes". When he came back, he honked the car and gave me a look liek he wanted to fight me. Never apologized, didn't hold the door open and he wanted to pick a fight. Seriously? I have eye witnesses because i was with two colleagues. Beware of the angry valet guy with dark hair that works at 530am. How ridiculous is that?

3) Overall, the service at the front desk is snotty. Maybe that is part of their image. For example, I checked in at 5:30 pm on a Sunday. They did not have my room ready. They tried to offer me a free drink until I was ready. After traveling across the country, I expected my room to be ready. AND to top it off, I asked the front desk person "When will it be ready?" and he said "I don't know." Wow. Really? Why is this guy working at the front desk. I could even hear a woman in Spanish complaining to him about his attitude (I understand Spanish) so it wasn't just me.

--------
I will end on a lighter note. There is a manager there named Ben who helped out on some of these instances but it was not enough. I am glad to be leaving this hotel. I am from South Florida originally and it is a shame that they hire people who don't know customer service as well as Ben does.

As for the valet guy who stared me down, good luck to him and to you if you upset him.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank AAMurillo
ISMiami, General Manager at The Standard, Miami, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Dear AAMurillo,
I am saddened to hear about your recent experience at The Standard Miami. We always listen and value our guest’s feedback as we strive to learn and improve each day. I would like to sincerely apologize for the caterpillars found in your room, I assure you we inspect our rooms thoroughly and these critters are not often found in our rooms. I would also like to apologize for the level of service you received from the valet and front desk team. We will address accordingly and hope you will visit in the future.