“Not Pleased At All”

Ranked #10 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Not Pleased At All”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I spent the afternoon beginning with a facial at the spa, which I have to say was very relaxing. I am happy with the spa service although I cannot say the same for our mid-day meal.

The restaurant service was very poor. We had to ask for everything, from utensils, napkins, plates, condiments to pouring our own wine. The food arrived cold. It’s not because the restaurant was busy actually it was very quiet. And that should neither be a reason.

In addition, the line to submit our ticket to valet took over 30 minutes. The front desk assists check-ins, checkouts, including submitting your valet ticket! And only one employee is working at the front desk. The Standard hotel was under staffed especially for a Friday night.

Honestly the spa is very expensive, restaurant and valet. I spent over $300.00 and was not felt special. The Standard needs their clients and the employees should be more attentive to their clients. I will try out other spas and definitely not return to The Standard.

P.S. My friend felt the same and agrees with this review.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Qbrit
ISMiami, General Manager at The Standard, Miami, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
We appreciate the time you took to give us your feedback. While we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your treatment at the spa, I am disappointed to learn that you had such an unpleasant experience otherwise. I assure you the service you received is not what The Standard culture is about, and your experience was an isolated incident. However, we take all feedback seriously and will address with our team members as we continue to strive to improve each and every day. We look forward to welcoming you back and turning your experience around.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My stay at The Standard was unbelievably amazing. It started with the warm smile from the attendant who welcomed us with open doors at The Standard, followed by Frank Zapata’s continuous efforts to ascertain that my girlfriends and I had everything we needed to enjoy our stay. We were greeted with a bottle of champagne and a note ensuring us that we would be taken care of by the staff at The Standard. Mr. Zapata made it a point to check on my girlfriends and I as promised and made sure we were enjoying ourselves. This same attitude was shared among all staff that we encountered during our stay, from the waiters and waitresses at the pool area, the staff by the juice bar, and the staff who made sure our beds were made, towels changed, and room cleaned. The ambiance had a hint of being set in some secluded tropical island with palm trees that gave way to privacy and curious little areas for a bonfire or a night out on a cushioned swing. The pool area was beautiful with an awesome view of the bay and 24 hour access to a midnight swim. Interested in a mud wrap under the sun? The spa provided different types of mud for your choice conveniently set next to a lounging chair and access to tubs for rinsing off. The staff at The Standard was very professional, absolutely accommodating and attentive to our needs. I can’t say enough about the food other than there was never a poor meal, needless to say the food was absolutely delicious. My next trip to Miami would definitely call for another stay at The Standard. Thank you all for making it a memorable stay!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
memphis
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Standard for 4 nights and it was amazing. It's is very different that what the typical SoBe hotel will be but that is why you want to book a stay.

The pool was amazing, clean and free of trash. It was a great to spend all day there, with no regret. You have the option of the swimming pool, cold pool, waterfall hot tub or hopping in the bay. Make sure you try the sliders and garlic aioli. Having a great pool is an advantage with all the jelly fish we encountered at the beach. It is the focal point of a very nice hotel.

The 3rd floor spa was excellent, I did not use any of the services but the gym sauna, steam room where all top notch.

One thing I did not realize was the 25 cent shuttle bus that will take you to south beach. The station is right in front of the hotel. There is a publix that is about 10 mins and is a great place to get alcohol and snacks. The numerous complaints of outrageously priced drinks is alleviated by getting what you need there. There is also a whole foods nearby also.

Bad:
The rooms are spartan and dated. Whether this is done on purpose I'm not sure. I did see plenty of landscaping and and crew on the grounds.

The fridge in the room is also very small so you cannot use it to store more than one or two large food items and you will have to take out all of the sodas and drinks. Also there is no microwave so plan accordingly

Pool service was not to my expectations. The one time a drink order was placed, we were asked twice if we were guests and and we both had on our robes. After that, going directly to the bar proved the best way to get drinks and water.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed at The Standard 2 long week-ends this october.
The pool and deck area are THE place to be. The Spa is very nice with a good variety of treatments and yoga classes. The staff was very helpfull and friendly , which made me feel at home. Would have loved to stay longer. Will definitely stay there on my next visit to Miami.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sabine N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The Standard is a beguiling mix of everything (restrained, Scandi, grungy, happening, healthy, relaxing, welcoming, flamboyant...?!), packed into a small island package. For us, the Lido pool and deck areas were by far and away the main draw, maximising sun and fresh air when everyone back in the UK was entering hibernation. The breakfast/lunch/dinner menus are well-crafted, healthy and excellent quality, so it's easy to stay for every meal, enjoying the waterside settings (whilst casually running up a large bill). But it's only a short scamper over the Ventian Causeway to Lincoln Mall and all its attractions if you must tear yourself away from ultimate relaxation. The weekend brings a cool local crowd and things can get quite hectic, but there are always professional senior staff on hand to keep a handle on it and still make you feel welcome. The room rates are quite considerable, given their compactness and lack of views and complete peace but I appreciate this is a unique hotel and the demand certainly seems to be there! The bed was indeed exceptionally comfy and linen fresher than fresh. Anyhow, Frank Zapata, Jacob and Yessi were the stars for us. Thanks for everything.

Room Tip: Bath terrace large if you have long haul luggage.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Derfield Fl
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The rooms are clean and spare; housekeeping staff is charming and very helpful, The staff was friendly, helpful, knowledgeable - from the front desk to the housekeeping supervisor (Maggie), thanks for helping me with the door. Hotel has the best Hammam's anywhere, nice spa and gym,
this hotel took me out of the box of a regular hotel, I felt I was in an island with the best staff to accommodate me, I'll be back for more.... Try the new juice café ....the juice are fresh and the salads too...

Room Tip: Try the BXL , next to the pool
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My husband and I treated my sister to an overnight and spa day for her 30th birthday. What a treat. When we arrived, we were notified our room had been upgraded - awesome! We spent the following day in an AMAZING yoga class, followed by massages, a delicious lunch at the Lido, a mud mask and bath in the outdoor clothing-free portion of the resort, which you wash off in beautiful outdoor claw-foot tubs. Wrap it up with a past-life regression and juice tasting - what a day!
The negative: holy cow, it's SOOOO EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms are small.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple