“Standard Exceeded Expectations”

Ranked #10 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Rhode Island, USA
“Standard Exceeded Expectations”
Reviewed 13 January 2009

My wife and I stayed one night at the Standard before our cruise, and it was everything it promised to be. Their "communal spa" was perfect, especially the hammam and mud lounge. Clean, relaxing, and mostly free. The pool area was beautiful with a great view of Biscayne Bay. The staff was friendly and helpful. The restaurants were a little pricey, but our food was great. While the rooms aren't necessarily "luxury", they are chic and comfortable and more than adaquate for a Miami base. A highly reccommended alternative to a pricier Ocean Drive location.

• Liked — spa, view
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 November 2008

This was our 2nd visit to the hotel paid for by our client. The hotel has a chic vibe and cozy and small comfortable rooms. The pool is beautiful and has great views. Although I have never actually paid myself the room rate does seem a bit high for what you get and the level of service.

One thing you should net expect at this hotel is service; it is almost non-existent. Don’t waste you time at the restaurant, you will grow old waiting for mediocre food in an unapologetic environment. Our group waited 2 1/2 hours for our dinner to be served by an uncaring and snooty waitress. Service in the rest of the hotel is ok at best.

• Liked — chic atmosphere
  • Disliked — bad service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank tgh60660
Manchester
Reviewed 13 November 2008

Brilliant hotel for its spa specialities. Good location with an excellent pool. The view from the pool is very relaxing and I would say is worth staying at the hotel for. I understand what people are saying about it being motel like. This is because the entrance to your room is to the outside and the layout is motel like. The rooms are far from it. Thay have an iHome dock station for i pods. A large shower was in our room along with a fridge and snacks at extremely high prices. tip, go to the garage for nuts and crisps and water just incase you are tempted for snacks. The bed was comfortable and the theme was similar to luxury tent type, very airy and with wicker finishings and wooden blinds. It also had a voile curtain at the foot of the bed which was a nice touch.

Each room has a robe for which you feel comfortable walking to the spa area and outside area in. The outside pool is for complimentry usage along with indoor sauna, haman and steam room and waterfall type showers. This is a quiet hotel where not using mobiles phones is encouraged. Massage and treatment facilities are available if wanted also.

The outdoor pool area is the main attraction. It has a hot outdoor waterfall pool and also a cooler plundge pool. The main heated infinity pool was a treat! Swimming in it whilst looking to the ocean. Cocktails and bar food are served by the pool also. The pool area looks over downtown and had the odd small boat passing. The only parking option is valet parking which we were not told about the price until it was handed to us on checkout. We were also not given an option of where to park and as we were not clued up on the area we just went with valet at $25.

We didnt have much to do with the immediate surrounding area but it was $8 in a cab to main south beach. Breakfast was included in our plan. I rang reception prior to going down for breakfast just to clarify. We got to reception and were told inclusive breakfast stopped last week. I advised the waiter of our booking and it was ceared with the mnager that our bill was taken care of. This was all done politely and was rectified perfectly. We had a 'standard' breakfast which was brill. Danish, bagel, toast, the lot all presented lovely. I do think the hotel was a bit pricey however it is Miami. If you are to use the facilities to its full potential and spend the maximum time there then it is a good stay. Don't book it of you want a posh lush room with a great view although perfect for romantic getaway and pure relaxation.

• Liked — outdoor pool area!!!!!
  • Disliked — perhaps the price of in room snack, and perhaps the high room price
1 Thank P.L.sparkle
Los Angeles
Reviewed 8 November 2008

My friend recomend me to try Standard miami on my trip to Miami for the photo shoot. It was my first time, but, trust me, not the last. This Hotel is absolutely amazing. All other travelers who complain about this Hotel, have no concept of what Beautque hotel is about. Sure, this is not Four Season or Ritz Carlton, but who wants to stay there??? This hotel is for young, or want to stay young , people. The hotel is hip, sexy, Pool is a definetely a sceen place, if you have something to show. Shore Club and Delano used to be the pool to be seen, not anymore, photographers, young designers, good looking people - all now at the Standard. And because this is an adult hotel, you can enjoy sun topless. Staff is not only good looking, but also professioanal and accomodating. Dinner at the Sunset, in Deck restaurant worth million bucks. but like every hotel, something always happend, and important part is how the managment is going about. I lost my expensive D&G flp flopps and was devasted, honestly thinking that someone stole it. I called Front desk, very upset and tell them that I want to speak to General Manager.
Believe it or not, she (General Manager) called me in 5 minutes, stating that she is not in Hotel, but will be in next day on Sunday!!! and will personaly handle my situation. That was a nice touch, but I did not believe it. Later that night, young server came to my rome with a bottle of Wine and appology letter from Helen Blatt, GM. Next morning, as i was enjoying the pool, bold men approached me saying that he is very sorry about lost flip flopps and that everyone is looking for them. I was more then surprised and Wowed that entire staff is aware of my problem and do something about. Around noon, as I was enjoying my mozarella panini, beaitfuly european woman approached my table, introducting herself as General Manager. Well, what can I say, not only she had my lost flip flopps in her hands, she also joined me for a lunch, picked up a tab, and now I have her cell number and email, and will contact her directly when next time in Miami. Dear travelers, every hotel has bad and good sides, but the Hotel you want to stay, is the one that makes you feel like home, when you know , that GM will personaly speak to you, you can call her/his cell, everyone cares for you. And with that, you can forgive little mistakes. I truly enjoyed the Standard Miami, love Helen and her team. Please dont consider nasty comments, try and see for yourself.

• Liked — personal attention by the General Manager and Hotel overall look
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank LosAngelesActress
London
Reviewed 31 October 2008

I think the negative reviews are a little unfair. No, this isn't high octane glamour, but then The Standard doesn't profess to be anything other than a very quirky, revamped motel. Ok, the staff are trendy and young, but they are all very polite and helpful. The setting is absolutely stunning. If you don't mind a $10 taxi to Ocean Drive, then I would highly recommend this hotel. There is something quaint and off beat about it - kind of like an art house movie. The pool area is stunning and the mud lounge, where you can cover yourself in 3 different types of mud and bake in the sun - is fun. The rooms aren't huge, but they are comfortable and relaxing. There is a Swedish simplicity to it all. If you like mass produced hotels then this isn't for you. If you want something different, trendy, cool and comfortable - book The Standard.

1 Thank Dinkygirl
The_Cloonster
Reviewed 20 October 2008

We were promised luxury, we paid luxury prices but we got something very average and in-between. We loved the pool area and the food was good however the rooms were on the small side and our first room was not clean. To the hotel's credit they changed this immediately and offered us a discount on food. The hotel is not near the beach or indeed, the liveliest part of town - Ocean Drive. The main thing I would complain about is the staff - aloof, trendy and on occasions lazy (poolside particularly). We stayed at four other Florida hotels during our stay and were treated like kings - that's what holidays are for...It was all slightly disappointing.

• Liked — The Spa and pool area
  • Disliked — Aloof staff and small rooms
fort lauderdale, Fl
Reviewed 30 September 2008

There are pros and cons to this hotel but the cons far outweigh
the good so I will start with those.

CONS

1)They have their hand in your pocket the minute you walk in the door.
2) They charge $25 per day to park your car. This would not be so bad but when I went to pick up my car they told me to read my ticket.
There was a 25 minute wait to get the car. This is written on my ticket. So basically they charge you 25 minutes to keep your car hostage. Car is parked many blocks away.

2A) A simple cocktail is $12 plus tax. Totalling $15.

3) The hotel keys don't work. I have to have my hotel key changed at least 5 times in two days.
4) I asked them to remove the snacks from the room so that I wouldn't be tempted. They are in a basket. They told me that there was a $50 fee to remove the snacks. Then they said they would waive the fee. The snacks never let the room.
5) The snacks in the room cost $6 for a 79 Cent bag of M and M's
6) Massages for an hour cost a pricey $130.
7) When I checked in I was dying to use the gym. It was closed for a paint job.
8) When I came back to my hotel room one night, the sign in the elevator said out of order, So i patiently waited for the other one. while i was waiting, they made sure I had a key and was a guest.
This was fine. Then I waited another 5 minutes for the elevator that never showed. It turns out they were both out of order. Don't you think the security guy should have told me?
9) Rooms are motel style. This would make a very nice motel. Not really a hotel .
10) The lobby is hot and not air conditioned
11) Spa is very pricey
12) Looks much nicer on the website.
13) They assured me that there was a shuttle service to the Raleigh Hotel on the Beach. (I did no want to book this hotel because it was not on the beach) Iwaited for the shuttle service on MOnday only to be told "the shuttle service only runs on weekends."
14) It' s difficult to relax and unwind with all this mismanagement and pocket picking going on negating the true spa experience.

Pros
The spa is nice and worth a day trip. ( but not fantastic)
Massage was excellent
Would recommmend the spa for a day; not the hotel
attracts a young hip crowd.

pool area is nice

If you are staying in MIami, opt for a hotel on this beach. This was a substandard experience in almost every way.

• Liked — the spa
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo