“Beautiful setting, really terrible service”

The Standard, Miami
Ranked #11 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 30 March 2010

The vibe is pretty lively and fun. We were in for a bachelor party, and liked the setting quite a bit. The service was totally bizarre for the 500 bucks a night we spent to stay there. First, my mobile phone went missing from my room, and when I talked to the management about it, they didn't really care. Second, friends not staying with us sent a bottle of scotch over to us, and it never made it to the room. Valet service was childish. It was like management (not the waitstaff, and actual people doing the work), were so impressed with themselves and too cool to be helpful. I would have tolerated that at 22. Not as an adult. I will never stay at another Standard Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Standard, Miami

Reviewed 25 March 2010

Totally not what I expected but i think thats why we liked it so much! My wife and I traveled with friends to attend the SOBE Food network Food and Wine Fest. We had a friend who told us to stay at the Standard. Having stayed at the one in LA, i kinda pictured the one in Miami to be a thriving trendy hot spot where when you walk in the parties are off the hook! This Standard Miami was totally the opposite. Its a spa! People come here to relax and use their spa voices. Included with your room rate are some really nice ammenities like the steam room, sauna and bath tubs as well as the pool and hot tub. Im not really the spend the day at the spa kinda guy so the steam room and hottub were well above my needs.

The rooms are tiny, but cozy and there wasnt any noise at all in our room from other guests. The hotel is old and they arent trying to hide that, but i think it goes well with SOBEs art deco kinda vibe anyway. We even drove past it a few times becuase an old hotel logo is still on the outside of the building.

You arent really walking distance to any of the famous south beach landmarks but the most i paid for a cab fare was 7 bucks to ocean drive all weekend. The hotel manager ( Matt i beleive) was super cool. He got our names on a couple of cool swanky bars and clubs guestlists and told us all the hot spots to hit while we were there.

The food at the hotel was insane! The breakfast sandwhich was very good and lunch by the pool was killer too! Pricing wasnt bad considering you are in Miami.

But i think the best part of the whole weekend was screaming at super chef Bobby Flay while he was passing through the pool area then 30 minutes later crashing his party he had on the private patio behind the hotel! LOL! Shhhhh.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shaunm000
Reviewed 18 March 2010

This was a strange hotel.

Standard--where the service takes holiday, while you are at it: The staff was cordial and meant well in every way I thought, at least it appeared to be, but there's no real service because they seemed out of it. They were nice, but they just didn't know what's going on at all. It seemed like the entire place is operated by a bunch of incompetent, ditzy, no real hotel service experience under the belt 20 something kids who believed that this is the industry standard. Ironically the name is Standard and they print it upside down. Look out for the automatic 18 to 20% gratuity added to the bills after the mediocre service, but as mentioned earlier most of the staff is nice.

Room: They wanted the setting to exude hip and minimalism vibes, but it merely meant inconvenience. Some side tables besides the bed instead of the random picnic baskets, a mirror, a coffee pot, a real ironing board, some counter spaces in the bathroom would have made our stay more comfortable. Stuff you take for granted at normal hotels were unseen at this hotel room. The housekeeping did not understand the guest's need of the wash clothes. They didn't exist and what I got from the front desk disappeared the next day. I've never seen them again.

Ground: Most of the guests stayed at the hotel I thought were the liked minded people--who wanted to be away from the south beach craziness looking for the serene, zen like spa experience with health conscious programs like yoga, well being workshops and organic diet. It turned out that one can take people out of the South Beach party scene, but can't take the party out of the people: It was noisy. No phone's allowed, but the guy below us was shouting on the phone outside at midnight; no smoking's allowed, and yet cigarettes were lit anywhere outdoor; at 3 in the morning the patrons return drunk and have a full on conversation outside of the room very loudly. And at this hotel with no sound proof whatsoever,because of the oblivious people, I woke up in the middle of the night fumbling around for the ear plugs, the very things I thought I could avoid when I left NYC.

Spa, pool and classes: Spa is okay, it has some wears, but it didn't bother me much; the pool is beautiful and the service at the pool is good, actually; massage I got was good, but nothing extraordinary; the yoga class was small and the instructor was very attentive for each individual's needs.

In general the hotel was clean, the food was okay, the pool's beautiful, the location was ideal, spa kept the cloudy day bearable, the ground was noisy at times, it's more expensive than it should be, and the service had many opportunities. I would recommend this hotel to a friend who wants to go to South Beach but there'd be plenty of "heads up".

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wshlew
Reviewed 7 March 2010

This is a cool, hip hotel in a great location..
Dont expect 5 stars, thats all.
Its my favorite hotel in the world.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2010

The service was absolutely awful. From the moment we walked in to the moment we checked out. Valet was inept and even brought us the wrong car once. the restaurant had great food, but nobody ever ate there. You would call the front desk for items, and they would never come. I ordered a pot of coffee from room service one morning and it took 75 minutes. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank sarahprny
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I was at the Standard about 3 years ago and have always wanted to go back since I enjoyed my first trip so much. Things have changed for the worse. Last time free Smartwaters were given after spa treatments not anymore. Our room minibar had nothing in it so we called front desk for bottles of water. Hotel worker showed up at room with 2 bottles and a bill for $22, when they were $6 from minibar. Worker got snippy when we said it was ridiculous. It seems they nickle and dime you on everything now.

While I was tring to relax on the hamaman in the spa a yoga insturctor from the hotel was in there talking nonstop on phone and to another person. Seems like the hotel instructor would have understood this area was for relaxing (a sign on door as you enter says no phones and low voices).
I raved and loved this hotel last time but will not stay again and it's upsetting they let it go down hill. Staff seemed bother to wait on you except 1 guy that helped with luggage after I waited 5 hours for my room when they said we'd get the next available one.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I have stayed at this hotel quite a few time through my company's choice. It is an average hotel and I can't say I would recommend it to anyone unless they had a ton of money to spend on spa treatments and just wanted to hang out by the pool all day because those are the only 2 things about this hotel that are any good.

PROS:
- The pool is prob the best in Miami
- The spa gives amazing treatments and is top notch

CONS:
- The prices are INSANE! (I was paying $500 a night for a basic room)
- The location is on a bridge, there is no way to walk to South Beach unless you have 45 minutes to kill
- Since the curtains are white your room will be Bright first thing in the morning, so no sleeping in
- Noisy cleaning staff wakes you up in the morning thanks to the thin walls
- You have to valet your car

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business