I am just back from a five-night stay at The Standard; this is a preferred hotel for my company and I was there with two colleagues for a work project. After my first night in a basic room, surrounded by loud spring breakers, I asked for the quietest room available and was informed that for $60 more per night I could upgrade to a "Wet" room...room was the same size but larger private patios with an outdoor tub do offer more privacy, but beware that the rooms numbered in the 60's and 70's are on the side of the hotel adjacent to a major construction project, so there's noise during the day.
Overall, very pretty location. Beautiful grounds, very cool pool scene with gorgeous bay views...rooms are VERY basic with reasonably comfortable beds. It feels like, and may have been, a converted motel. And the spa is quite nice.
There is virtually no service...if you're accustomed to sitting at a restaurant and expecting a server to greet you in a timely manner, forget it. Anything relating to food and beverage is poorly managed and understaffed. We ate at the outside restaurant (there's an indoor one, but it's in an undefined/unwelcoming space and usually unattended) one night and waited over 20 minutes after being seated by the host before anyone came over to us. Food arrived cold, though our poor waitress was only one of two servers on duty for a huge area.
On another night we sat near the (unattended) indoor bar and finally had to ask the front desk attendant to get us a waiter so we could order a drink...Pinot Grigio somehow translated as Pinot Noir...so half an hour later we finally got our drinks (comped, to be fair)...
Good luck getting a taxi (despite what others have said, The Standard IS far away from everything)...these requests either don't get processed or are handled at their leisure.
This lax attitude towards service seems to permeate at all levels - a friend told us his calls to The Standard's special event office to inquire about hosting a reception at the hotel were unreturned.
The price is right, but we'd rather stay someplace where service is more of a priority and pay more...this is really a staffing issue, which was very uneven (sometimes there were people opening the front door, a concierge at the desk...and other times there was absolutely nobody in the lobby save for a lone soul behind the desk. It's difficult to understand who's running things! Definitely NOT equipped for business travelers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on tiny Belle Isle in Biscayne Bay, The Standard, Miami is an indoor and outdoor hydrotherapy playground that fosters stress-free socializing in a tropical, contemporary setting. With a minimalist design, the holistic hydrotherapy spa hotel provides a stylish yet intimate ambience just blocks from the glitz of South Beach's nightlife and celebrity crowd. Owned by hotelier Andre Balazs, the hotel, winner of Conde Nast Traveler's Readers' Favorite Spa Hotel award, features a one-acre garden with do-it-yourself hydrotherapy-based scrubs, plunges, open-air mud baths, and stunning amenities that include a 103° F Roman Waterfall Hot Tub, a 50° F Arctic Plunge, and a 12-foot Falling Water Column. The 12,500-square-foot spa boasts one of the largest hammams in North America, in addition to an exceptional treatment menu of bodywork, massage, facials, and complementary health alternatives. More than 40 fitness classes are available weekly (including eight types of yoga), and the hotel's restaurants offer healthful Mediterranean coastal cuisine and al fresco dining. The modest guest capacity (a mere 100 rooms) complements the hotel's communal setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Standard, Miami reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Standard Miami Hotel Miami Beach
- Standard Miami Beach
- Standard Miami Hotel Beach
- Standard Hotel Miami Beach
- The Standard, Miami Miami Beach, Florida