“Beautiful Property, Horrible Service”

The Standard, Miami
Ranked #10 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Laguna Beach, CA
“Beautiful Property, Horrible Service”
Reviewed 5 June 2010

The Standard Spa is kind of like camp for adults. It's casually and sparsely decorated, with small 1st floor rooms and fun common areas to "play" in. But unfortuantely it's not a camp I would return to.

First off, it is a beautiful property. The location is excellent and I loved the pool and common areas. I would consider staying again for that reason alone. Some of the staff were very friendly, too. Even the maintenance techs said hello (nice touch- I appreciated that).

The disaster all started when I arrived (around 3pm) to discover that the suite I had reserved weeks in advance was “not available”. I specifically stayed at the Standard Spa so I could rent that suite. My boyfriend had seen it in a travel magazine and we’d dreamed of one day staying there. As a surprise for our anniversary, I booked the suite and was beyond excited to show him our room. The explanation that we couldn’t stay in it “because it was too dirty and needed more than 24 hours to be cleaned” makes no sense to me. I hear horror stories about what guests do to hotel rooms, but more than 24 hours to clean? Really? I can’t imagine (especially because no detailed explanation was offered). After that hiccup, I was given a slightly discounted standard room.

Once we got settled in the room, we decided to shower. We took a short shower (10 minutes), but because the shower has no basin and the drain was apparently clogged, the bathroom was flooded with several inches of water. We tried to mop it up with towels, but there was way too much water to get it up. We called the front desk on our way out to dinner and informed them of the flood. They said they’d have it cleaned up by the time we returned. Several hours later when we returned, the flood was still there. No one had been to our room. So, for the remainder of our stay, we stood in 2 inches of water when we walked in the restroom. It was beyond annoying and impractical.

We decided to end our stay with a couples massage at the spa. We made an appointment for 9am and arrived on time at 8:55. We were told to wait in the spa waiting room for 5-10 minutes - The spa waiting room is a bizarre co-ed spa area. I appreciate avant garde design, but this was bizarre. Some aspects were nice (the heated stone platforms to rest on), but it was very dark and there was a strange group shower area that looked liek something out of a prison movie. Don't expect relaxing "spa colors" and candlelight. This was a concrete underground prison with a few bathtubs in it. At 9:20, we hadn’t been called, so we inquired with the front desk and they said it wouldn’t be much longer. They had a “slight delay”. We had breakfast plans at 11am, so we started to get worried, but trusted the front desk that it wouldn’t be much longer. At 9:40 we were still waiting, so we went to the front desk and again asked what the problem was. They said that one of the therapists had not arrived yet and wouldn’t be in until 10:15, so we would have to wait. Obviously that wasn’t going to work for us, so we said we would have to cancel. They said one of us could get a massage (with no discount), so my boyfriend was kind enough to let me go in without him. The massage was great (one of the best I've ever had), but the staff and the way the situation was handled was horrible. Why were we not informed that the therapist wouldn’t be in until 10:15? Were we just supposed to wait for 1.5 hours without even an explanation from someone?? The staff was hardly apologetic, too, which only made the whole situation worse.

Honestly the whole experience was laughably horrendous. I have always had good experiences at Standard Hotels, so this surprised me. I'm sure that many people have lovely experiences here, as the property is truly beautiful, but beware of the service issues.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tally714

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 May 2010

This hotel is super trendy, it has a beautiful pool (no kids allowed) and spa. The location is perfect because it is apart from all the noise from South Beach, yet is walking distance from shops and restaurants.

When we arrived, the lobby was like the set from "That 70 Show." Our room had a plunge pool that was incredibly dirty. We called housekeeping and they cleaned it right away. The rooms are tiny but the beds are comfy. The spa is incredible! They also offer yoga classes.

The restaurant is beautiful, but the food is average. The "mussels a la plancha" are good, but dont ask for the "mediterranean flat bread," is just terrible.

This hotel is great if you are looking for a great and relaxing time with your spouse/partner.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Etho68
Worcester England
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Loved every minute despite the rain and having car towed away from outside ! Beware of that . Lovely location, fab facilities , loads to discover , discreet. I thought that the staff were great . Planning to go to The Standard in NY to visit the Burlesque Festival later in the year.

• Stayed November 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 27 April 2010

First of all, this is the second time my husband and I have stayed at the Standard in Miami. We love the pool and outdoor atmosphere and the location. It is close enough to the hustle and bustle of SoBe without being directly in the middle of it. We also spend a great deal of time in the Design District and it is literally a 5 minute drive from this part of town. The spa offers many nice services and the yoga classes are taught by wonderful staff. The rooms are spartan but clean and have everything you really need.

There are some drawbacks. First, do not stay in Room 37 as it has the air conditioner for the entire building above it and you will not get a good night's sleep. Also, ask to be put in a room that if on the outside of the buildings as I was woken up throughout the night by staff dragging garbage cans during clean up and by staff setting up the outdoor seating area for breakfast each morning. Honestly, for a hotel to boast a tranquil, relaxing stay, this was a disappointment. Also, due to the nightmare of parking in SoBe, make sure that if you want to take your car out, you call numerous times (and early) to get your car from the valet. Otherwise, you may wait an hour like we, and other guests, did. Staff are pleasant but slow. It almost feels that you are on island time.

1 Thank rrpjrp
Montclair, NJ
Reviewed 27 April 2010

My husband and I have stayed at the Standard in Miami three times over the past couple of years. We keep coming back for the beautiful pool, great hammam, low-key attitude and relative quiet of this hotel compared to the party places on Collins, which are often akin to sleeping in a disco.

Face it, no matter where you stay in Miami, service is generally bad, since hiring criteria in the Miami hotel market seem to put looks high up on the list. As a result, most hotels are staffed by self-involved pretty people who are more worried about their next audition than your comfort or convenience. If you accept this, and make an attempt to be nice, it's really not a problem. We are not young, or famous, or gorgeous (ok, maybe we're gorgeous :)) but we nevertheless are treated just fine at the Standard.

If anything, the state of the hammam is better now than a couple of years ago (and was never that bad), and we found the complimentary continental breakfast extremely generous (note to the previous reviewer: you can substitute yogurt with fruit and granola for that all-carb Continental if you want!) and tasty.

Abandon a few preconceptions (perhaps even those those relating to wearing clothing!) and you will have a wonderful time at the Standard!

New York, NY
Reviewed 22 April 2010

When I'm in Miami, I usually stay at the Shore Club, but decided to try this place 'cause it's in the same price range. At first it very much compared unfavorably, with I-could-care-less-about-you attitude from the front desk at check-in, which continued throughout the stay. And I have to say that was odd considering the wait staff in the restaurant, the spa staff, housekeeping and the valet could not have been more friendly and accommodating. But the front desk acted like they were in a dentists chair and you were the dentist every time you asked them a question. Also, the rooms are smaller than Shore Club. And while the spa is larger, it's oddly and inconveniently laid out. Also the "Continental" breakfast which was included in my package was a pile of bread. It was ridiculous. (Shore Club gives you fruit.) So I'd hope they reconsider that. Its silly: who eats a croissant, a chocolate croissant, 2 pieces of coffee cake and like 6 places of bread for breakfast?

But then the advantages started to sink in. It's quiet. I slept well. I could party with the riff-raff on the beach and then retreat to my hideaway. The pool is tremendous. The warm waterfall is great. The 'clothing-optional' mudbath was sensational. Great feeling soaking naked in a giant bathtub on the water's edge! (and I'm not even close to being a nudist!!!)

The indoor facilities not bad either. The Hammam was very relaxing and the steam room was good.

So by the time I left I felt it was far better than the Shore Club and I would definitely stay here again and would choose it over Shore Club from now on all things being equal.

Finally, a tip if you want to avoid the $40 a day parking fee: there's free street parking all around the hotel...only problem is it's only good during the day--at night you need a residential parking permit. But go over one bridge toward the beach to Purdy Ave. and there are 8 hour meters which are not in effect from midnight-9 a.m. So, if you park there at night, and then you can move the car by 9 a.m. to a free spot right in front of the hotel. Sounds like a lot of work but $2 or so vs. $40?

New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I stayed here for one night with my guy before heading out for some sailing.
I was able to check in a bit earlier than the normal check-in which was great since the hotel was pretty busy. And let me say, all of the staff I encountered was very attractive lol.
Getting to the poolside rooms on the second floor are a bit tricky but the exterior hallways are great - wonderful views of the pool and water. The problem is, however, theres music and a pretty much non-stop party going on by the pool. That, coupled with paper thin walls, made for a sleepless night. I understand this is quite a party hotel but the loud noises, loud chatter, music in courtyard/poolside are unavoidable. on the plus side, the bed is comfortable!
The bathroom is tiny and only had two bath towels and one hand towel. a narrow shelf for toiletries sloped a little so things just rolled off... and it was right above the toilet.
The room service menu for dinner is pretty interesting and we only ordered apps but they were tasty. The server carried it in on a tray and put it on the folded table mounted on the wall... so there was no place to eat; we had the plates in our laps
The TV is small (i know, i know... its Miami - we should have been out!) but helps pass the time on sleepless nights when your neighbors partying way late.
if i was in Miami to party at night or relax at the spa/poolside, i would definitely stay here again. but for the purpose of this trip - just a place to chill and sleep before embarking on a sailing trip at a nearby marina, this was not at all a good choice

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple