The Standard Spa is kind of like camp for adults. It's casually and sparsely decorated, with small 1st floor rooms and fun common areas to "play" in. But unfortuantely it's not a camp I would return to.
First off, it is a beautiful property. The location is excellent and I loved the pool and common areas. I would consider staying again for that reason alone. Some of the staff were very friendly, too. Even the maintenance techs said hello (nice touch- I appreciated that).
The disaster all started when I arrived (around 3pm) to discover that the suite I had reserved weeks in advance was “not available”. I specifically stayed at the Standard Spa so I could rent that suite. My boyfriend had seen it in a travel magazine and we’d dreamed of one day staying there. As a surprise for our anniversary, I booked the suite and was beyond excited to show him our room. The explanation that we couldn’t stay in it “because it was too dirty and needed more than 24 hours to be cleaned” makes no sense to me. I hear horror stories about what guests do to hotel rooms, but more than 24 hours to clean? Really? I can’t imagine (especially because no detailed explanation was offered). After that hiccup, I was given a slightly discounted standard room.
Once we got settled in the room, we decided to shower. We took a short shower (10 minutes), but because the shower has no basin and the drain was apparently clogged, the bathroom was flooded with several inches of water. We tried to mop it up with towels, but there was way too much water to get it up. We called the front desk on our way out to dinner and informed them of the flood. They said they’d have it cleaned up by the time we returned. Several hours later when we returned, the flood was still there. No one had been to our room. So, for the remainder of our stay, we stood in 2 inches of water when we walked in the restroom. It was beyond annoying and impractical.
We decided to end our stay with a couples massage at the spa. We made an appointment for 9am and arrived on time at 8:55. We were told to wait in the spa waiting room for 5-10 minutes - The spa waiting room is a bizarre co-ed spa area. I appreciate avant garde design, but this was bizarre. Some aspects were nice (the heated stone platforms to rest on), but it was very dark and there was a strange group shower area that looked liek something out of a prison movie. Don't expect relaxing "spa colors" and candlelight. This was a concrete underground prison with a few bathtubs in it. At 9:20, we hadn’t been called, so we inquired with the front desk and they said it wouldn’t be much longer. They had a “slight delay”. We had breakfast plans at 11am, so we started to get worried, but trusted the front desk that it wouldn’t be much longer. At 9:40 we were still waiting, so we went to the front desk and again asked what the problem was. They said that one of the therapists had not arrived yet and wouldn’t be in until 10:15, so we would have to wait. Obviously that wasn’t going to work for us, so we said we would have to cancel. They said one of us could get a massage (with no discount), so my boyfriend was kind enough to let me go in without him. The massage was great (one of the best I've ever had), but the staff and the way the situation was handled was horrible. Why were we not informed that the therapist wouldn’t be in until 10:15? Were we just supposed to wait for 1.5 hours without even an explanation from someone?? The staff was hardly apologetic, too, which only made the whole situation worse.
Honestly the whole experience was laughably horrendous. I have always had good experiences at Standard Hotels, so this surprised me. I'm sure that many people have lovely experiences here, as the property is truly beautiful, but beware of the service issues.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on tiny Belle Isle in Biscayne Bay, The Standard, Miami is an indoor and outdoor hydrotherapy playground that fosters stress-free socializing in a tropical, contemporary setting. With a minimalist design, the holistic hydrotherapy spa hotel provides a stylish yet intimate ambience just blocks from the glitz of South Beach's nightlife and celebrity crowd. Owned by hotelier Andre Balazs, the hotel, winner of Conde Nast Traveler's Readers' Favorite Spa Hotel award, features a one-acre garden with do-it-yourself hydrotherapy-based scrubs, plunges, open-air mud baths, and stunning amenities that include a 103° F Roman Waterfall Hot Tub, a 50° F Arctic Plunge, and a 12-foot Falling Water Column. The 12,500-square-foot spa boasts one of the largest hammams in North America, in addition to an exceptional treatment menu of bodywork, massage, facials, and complementary health alternatives. More than 40 fitness classes are available weekly (including eight types of yoga), and the hotel's restaurants offer healthful Mediterranean coastal cuisine and al fresco dining. The modest guest capacity (a mere 100 rooms) complements the hotel's communal setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Standard, Miami reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Standard Miami Hotel Miami Beach
- Standard Miami Beach
- Standard Miami Hotel Beach
- Standard Hotel Miami Beach
- The Standard, Miami Miami Beach, Florida