“Stressful Experience (Lies and More Lies)”
Review of Hotel Victor

Hotel Victor
Ranked #79 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Ortley Beach, New Jersey
“Stressful Experience (Lies and More Lies)”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel itself was nice enough, however when we arrived we were greeted with the realization that half the things we paid for were not available because the hotel had "changed policies," among other excuses.

First, we paid extra to have a room with a balcony. When we received our room number and went into the room, there was no balcony whatsoever. We went down to request a room with a balcony (since we paid extra for it) and were met with excuse after excuse. It was an exasperating battle with the front desk person (who denied our request to speak with a supervisor) just to get the room we paid for. I finally said I would accept the no-balcony room if they charged us the lower price, and they refused. Finally, after a drawn-out debate and my threat to contact the hotel's parent company, the front desk woman relented and gave us a room with a balcony.

When it came time to go to the beach on our first day in Miami, the folks at the hotel told us their policy on providing chairs and umbrellas had changed in the six or so weeks between when we booked our room and when we arrived. This led us to choose between buying our own chairs and umbrellas at the beach or paying the outrageous price of $45 per day for chair/umbrella rentals through a company at the beachfront. The hotel's excuse was that they now serve breakfast (a very small buffet) instead.

Finally, after we got home, I noticed a charge of $38 on my credit card. I called the hotel up and they claimed we consumed a number of items from the room's mini bar such as Johnny Walker, ginger ale and others. If there is one liquor I absolutely hate, it's Scotch! We used one single bottle of cranberry juice during our stay and that was it! I was told by the front desk people that they would leave a message with their account office and I would get a call back. It's a day later and I've received no call and nobody answers in their accounting department. As I write this, I'm on hold with my credit card company to dispute the charge.

AVOID THIS HOTEL as they will do everything they can to rip you off!

Room Tip: Make sure you get the room you actually paid for!
3 Thank TurboDan609
Danni T, Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback and observations, it is very important to us. I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your visit with us. It is not our practice to frustrate or deceive our valued guests. We did change our policy in regards to beach chairs nearly six months ago. We provide a full buffet breakfast instead of beach chairs. I would like to speak with you about the minibar charges incurred at checkout. Please reach out to us at info@hotelvictorsouthbeach.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sonthofen, Germany
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Everything was perfect in this hotel: the service, the rooms, the cleanliness, the kindliness of the employees... you can also rent bikes for free, that´s fantastic. The pool area is so nice, it is great to lie there and watch the sea.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Danni T, Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for your review, it was great having you here with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit with us; we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed at Victor for 6 nights. Our first room was dark and in the corner and the window faced the balcony for the room beside. Asked the friendly staff if it was possible to change the room. Singe at the front desk got us a better room with balcony and nicer view. The room was comfortable. The staff at Victor was always friendly. The two thing that really drag down the impression is the lack of cleaning. Our room was not clean for two days. The complimentary was randomly distributed (for 3 days in a row it was totally absent). The breakfast was too basic. A wider selection of fruit, jam and bread would make a difference.

At our departure we where allowed to use the pool and the spa for showering after check out. This was a really nice gesture.

Overall: With a minimum this hotel can be really great. Lovely staff.

Room Tip: Get a room with balcony
Danni T, Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for your review and observations. It was great having you here with us, I am glad that Signe was able to take care of you. I have shared your review with the appropriate department; your feedback will help us to improve. We hope that you will return to us, on your next visit to South Beach.
Buffalo New York
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed at the hotel for three nights in April. Front desk service was awful. We stayed on the 2nd floor (pool level) and it took two people to open the sliding glass door and it was difficult to lock. Janitor claimed that he could not fix it and that all of the doors need to be replaced--great. Service and food at the restaurant was of poor quality and there is a mandatory 18% tip for the pleasure. After check-out our credit card was charged $73.00 for potato chips and candy from the mini-bar which we never took. Called the hotel to dispute the charge and was totally blown-off. I will let the credit card company deals with these clowns. Since you are not provided and initial inventory list they can claim just about anything they want. There are a lot of other hotels to choose from and I suggest that you do.

Room Tip: I can not recommend any hotel that treats their clients so poorly.
2 Thank vecchio49
Danni T, Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for your review and observations. I would like to personally apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your visit with us. We are making great efforts to prepare our associates to provide our guests with a great experience, from beginning to end. I am sad to learn that you had billing issues after departure that were not resolved. Please reach out to me directly; I would like to speak with you. cree@hotelvictorsouthbeach.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
London
Reviewed 21 April 2014

There's something about Hotel Victor that makes me predisposed to like it; we've visited a couple of times, and enjoyed it. I'm not sure if it's the relaxed ambience in the middle of the madness that is SoBe, the comfortable rooms, or simply the fact that (for SoBe) it seems great value. Perhaps it's the terrific location in the middle of Ocean Drive overlooking the beach. Perhaps the key thing is that its pavement bar and restaurant is just a great place to people-watch with a cocktail. Is everything perfect? No - the breakfast quality should be better, and room service is not 24 hours, but overall we stayed five nights and had a great time. Recommended.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms and suites at the front of the hotel which are affected by bar noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Danni T, Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for visiting with us, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay; we hope you return again soon!
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Great design, lovely rooms, nice little pool, and if you got a room at pool level, where you can walk directly INTO the pool, you will be happiest ever.
The hotel is directly in the heart of Deco District at the Ocean Drive where all the action is based. But when you enter the hotel the noise of all the parties are left behind. You can enjoy a little pool and look down at the ocean drive and ocean too.
This is a perfect stay if you want to sleep at night, even if you open your window.
We have been there with a little child, ist was perfect for her too. Unfortunately we had to move out couse we had the reservation for just three days (what we planned in advance). But we came back just after one night, because this the best place if you want to stay at south beach. And the very friendly receptionist Cree gave us even the same room at the pool level. So we enjoyed the rest of our stay in Miami Beach and never would go anyhwere else. Thanks to Hotel Victor, very nice staff, great restaurant, good breakfast buffet with all you need, from eggs every kind, sausages to juices and cereals if you want. Only the staff at the restaurant could be more polite - but located at Ocean Drive maybe this is not necessary.
Still to mention that the night we were out of the hotel we were invited to spend the time at the pool and having breakfast. Again thanks to the lovely staff at the front desk, Cree and her collegue.

Room Tip: View at the pool. best would be at pool level.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Danni T, Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel and taking the time to write a review. It was great having you and your family here. I am glad that our associates made your stay a great and memorable one. I will be sure to share your review with them. We hope to see you on your next visit to South Beach.
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed 17 April 2014

How I wish I could have stayed at the Hotel Victor. It looked like a really great hotel. Even after I arrived it looked like a really great place. However, even thought I booked my room well in advance of my stay, I was not chosen to stay there. I was walked to their "sister" property without an explanation and ended up in a adequate place however near an extremely loud, obnoxious bar. It was not the hotel I expected. I should have been more vocal in my disappointment, however I never had an experience like this in all my years of travel.

The staff at the "Sister" hotel ,the Breakwater, were very accommodating and nice giving us the most "quiet" room they had available to their credit.

I am still not sure what happened as an e-mail to the Hotel Victor about the situation has been ignored.

If you book this hotel, be advised you may not actually stay there actually stay there. If you are up to taking chances on your accommodations, then it is a go for you.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank annsouth
Danni T, Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for your review and feedback, it is important to us. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your visit with us. We have experienced an unfortunate situation that resulted in overbooking. While we were able to accommodate those affected at our sister property, we do understand your frustrations. Would you be so kind and reach out to me directly, I am very interested in speaking with you. cree@hotelvictorsouth.com. I look forward to hearing from you.