“A top hotel at the "foot" of South Beach!”

Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach
Ranked #63 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Santa Monica, California
“A top hotel at the "foot" of South Beach!”
Reviewed 5 April 2011

My wife and I recently spent four nights at the Hilton Bentley Hotel in South Beach, Miami, Florida. We really liked this hotel and will stay there again for certain. The location is near the southern tip of Miami Beach which means it is in a quieter area than other hotels further north. That was a real blessing since we were in Miami during college spring break - by staying here we avoided most spring breakers and almost all of the break-time noise! The rooms are grand with great ocean or city views - quiet, clean and roomy. The restaurant is fine and it sits right by the pool and private sunning area.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toledo, OH
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I wanted to get away for a few days this past weekend to a warmer climate and wanted to try South Beach. The room rates were over $625 a night when I booked the trip and had a free night certificate from a promo with hilton last year and burned 100K for the other two nights so I got a great rate of the Q3FN certirficate and points. The hotel was great for free, but not sure if it worth $625+ a night or not (and there were a couple conventions going on, spring break time for some so it is possible the other SOBE hotels were that expensive and didn't check).

I checked in around 7 p.m. Thursday and there was no wait and the clerk was very friendly and had my breakfast vouchers already printed. When I booked the room, originally only an accessible room was available on points for my final night, and hilton had to split the reservation, but he told me he would be able to keep me in the same room all three nights and explained I would still get two portfolios and would have to check in saturday morning to get a voucher for sunday and to have them recode my room key card. The other girl that was working the front desk had a great memory and addressed me by name every time I walked past the desk.

I got to my room and it was nice. I love the balcony (was great to sit out on at night), it has a mini bar with fridge you can put outside items in and the room is pretty good size. One the counter there was an envelope with a letter welcoming me as a hilton diamond member along with 2 bottles of water (the expensive stuff in glass bottles with a bottle top) and a bottle of red wine, which I thought was great.

The beach access is great. And you can charge beach chairs to your room and they have attendants that will come and take food orders and beverage service. I thought the service there was a little slow, but to be fair to them they had to take the orders and go back to the hotel and return. The pool is also very nice but the pool service I feel wasn't very good as far as keeping out towels and changing chair covers.

They offer HHonors members free mojitos on fridays from 5 to 6 in their bar along with free appetizers, all of which was good. The breakfast buffett I would rate as just average, but they did have an omellette chef, and had quite a few ingrediants on the omlette bar and it was cool dining poolside if you wanted and they serve breakfast until 11 every day. I ate breakfast there the first two mornings and my last day I wanted something different and decided to try sunday brunch at one of the places on ocean, there are plenty of great places for breakfast on weekends if you don't want to eat at the hotel.

The location is great if you don't mind walking. There are plenty of bars and restaraunts up ocean and I love to walk and liked the walk to the Lincoln shopping area, but if you don't like to walk you can just walk over 2 short blocks to washington and for only 25 cents take the local shuttle.

They would only give me a checkout until noon, but they were totally booked, so that was understanable and they held my luggage and allowed me pool access until I had to leave for my flight and gave me a key to the gym so I could shower and change.

The internet was very good and worked at the pool

A couple minor things that I didn't like but that wouldn't stop me from giving the hotel 5 stars.

1. No ice machines on the floor. Luckilly the rooms have fridges but my ice tray was empty so it was a minor incovenience but I am sure i could have gone down to the bar and gotten more ice.

2. As another poster mentioned the shower doors don't latch and I ended up with a lot of water on my floor so be sure to get extra towels because you will have a puddle of water on your floor. I am 6'1 so this wasn't a big deal, but there is only one small shelf in the shower and it was up to my nose, so for someone that is shorter, I could see this being a problem. While the shower pressure was good, there is no control over the pressure of the water and the shower head also isn't available to be used as a hand held which would be nice for rinsing off shoes, etc after the beach.

3. The pool is only open until 7. It would have been nice if it was open a little later.

There were a couple items though that prevented me from giving this review a 5 instead of a 4 :

1. The pool service isn't that great. The bartender was friendly but the service of the "pool butlers" was TOO slow. On my first day I ordered a drink from the bar and one of the pool butlers asked me in the future to order directly from them. That would be fine except they don't come around very often and are hard to find. Saturday night I decided to go for a swim around 5. They are awful about replacing the chair covers and the pool towels. None of the free chairs had pool towels on them or covers. I really didn't care about a cover since I wasn't going to be using the chair but wanted a towel and asked an employee working as a pool butler for one and she said she would bring me one and put it on a chair. I stepped out of the pool later for a few minutes to grab a drink of water and no towel and asked another employee. I finished my swim and still no towel so I just went to the bar aned asked for one. The person I asked couldn't find a twowel and ended up giving my a pool chair cover to dry off with.

2. I had AWFUL service in the bar Thursday night when I first arrived and this issue along with the issue at the pool are the only two things stopping me from giving this hotel a 5 instead of a 4. I was dining alone and decided to just eat at the bar since I had great things about the place and wanted cuban food. I sat down and the bar wasn't busy at all that night and the bartender was texting away on his cell phone and another employee saw me waiting and told the bartender he had a customer. He came over and asked me if I wanted anything to drink and I asked for a menu. The menu looked good but was a little overpriced but a lot of hotel restaraunts are, especially in a place like SOBE. I found something that looked good to drink and also eat and and put down the menu and he was at the other end of the bar texting again and didn't even notice I was ready to order. I really didn't want to shout to him and didn't feel I should have to get up to get his attention and after 5 minutes I just walked out.

I mentioned something to the front desk clerk and asked for area recomendations, and she was very understanding and offered to call into the restraraunt, but I just wanted to eat and was in the mood to enjoy the weather.. I found a lot of place down on ocean and just ate at the news cafe on ocean and 8th (would recomend it to anyone staying there and it was where versace had his last meal at).

In all fairness to the bar on Friday night when they had the free mojitos and appetizers I stopped back in and the staff was GREAT at the bar. The staff working breakfast there the two mornings I ate there were also good and the omlette chef working friday breakfast was especially friendly.

If I return to Miami and can use points again, or if the hotel prices are in line with other similar hotels in the area, I wouldn't have a problem staying there again and recomend the property.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Jamesteroh
HiltonBentley, Director of Sales at Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach, responded to this review, 1 April 2011
Hello,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to describe your experience with us in great detail. We very much appreciate the sincere feedback. I have shared your comments with our team.

As you had experienced, we appreciate our loyal HHonors Diamond Members. It is especially gratifying to learn the overall service given by the hotel met your expectations.

Thank you for your feedback regarding ice machines and shower doors. Both issues are being addressed.

Thank you for your constructive feedback on our slow pool service and unacceptable service at our bar. Both of these issues have been addressed.

Again, thank you very much for your time. We hope to welcome you back to South Beach soon.

Warm regards, John
Hilton Bentley Leadership Team
Lambertville
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I usually rent a condo in SoFI for a month stay but since it was a quick getaway decided to stay here since visiting it last year. From the moment we were greeted by Gillian at the front desk you knew it was a 5 Star Hotel/Condo. Everyone went out of there way to be kind and professional. The room(800 sq ft.) had a spectacular view. It is also very DOG FRIENDLY. My 6 lb pooch felt at home. The only noise was if someone slammed a door. Restaurant staff for breakfast was amazing. Beach Butlers Jeniffer and her manager were also outstanding. The concierge was so sweet to print our boarding tickets. Nothing was a problem.
My one suggestion would be to get better pillows for the bed.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your gracious feedback. We are proud of our beautiful hotel and especially take pride in the service we provide to our guests. I have shared your feedback with Jennifer and Gillian.

Warm regards,
John Laclé, Hilton Bentley Leadership Team
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 15 March 2011

I thought this was a very nice Hilton, I've stayed in some very poor Hiltons, and this is not one of them. Keep in mind 18% gratuity is included on everything, but that's customary for South Beach.

columbus
Reviewed 13 March 2011

My wife and I returned for our 4th stay at the Hilton Bentley, and were not disappointed. The staff was very attentive and always willing to help. As a Diamond Member, we were given a beautiful suite overlooking the ocean, that was extremely large and well decorated. They have a new cuban restaurant on site now, that we ate at daily and loved, especially the mojitos and the chocolate cigar. Being at the bottom of South Beach is quieter, and we like that fact, yet are still close to the action.

Great Hotel. We will go back again.

1 Thank winetraveler73
St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We stayed here for one night in March. This is a small boutique hotel and absolutely beautiful. Our room was considered a studio, but was a nice size. Full kitchen set up, great bed and large deck with view of the ocean. It has a small pool and beverage/food service to the pool and on the beach. Service was very good at the pool (didn't order anything at the beach).

There is one restaurant at the hotel, which is Cuban. We had the standard breakfast buffet there, which was okay - nothing special.

This hotel is in a prime location - not only right on the beach, but right in the middle of everything. There are tons of shopping options within two blocks of the hotel. There is also a trolley or bus that can take you up to Lincoln Street, which I'd highly recommend for shopping or eating as well.

I loved this hotel, because it was intimate and quiet, but you could be in the midst of tons of action with 2 minutes. I'd highly recommend and will definitely be back.

1 Thank MinnesotaAngie
Park Ridge, Il
Reviewed 3 March 2011

We have stayed at the Bentley Hilton 3 times and love the hotel and location. The first time we booked through the hotel and had a beautiful suite overlooking the ocean. Second time booked through owner and had a small unit upper floor with tiny balcony. This stay we decided to book through a unitowner again and had a lovely unit (417) which had a wrap around balcony and in front of the balcony was a common area balcony which was nice. The problem we ran into was that they decided to do some repair work on the balcony during our stay which lasted 5 days and orinally were told it would be a 1 day 3 hr job. The construction disrrupted our enjoyment of the use of the balcony and also each day the balcony floor was crusted with cement debris. Had to contact Management to have cleaning staff come up to clean balcony floor so that we would not track dust into unit while going in and out. Also inconvenient to have workers walking back and forth past our unit. Contacted owner and Management and no satisfaction from either.Their response was they could stop work and continue at a later date. The work should not have been done while unit was rented out and they should have waited until it was empty. All in all we had a great time in South Beach, enjoyed the Restaurants, especially DeVito's but we were not impressed by the Cuban Restaurant Rodriguez..

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple