“Great hotel, good location, horrible service.”

Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach
Ranked #64 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Orlando, Florida
“Great hotel, good location, horrible service.”
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I will start with the positives...

The location is ideal. It is just far enough from the hustle and bustle of South Beach to be quiet but close enough to walk to heart of the night life. Nikki Beach is great for happy hour so it is great that it is just next door. I never had any issues with the music from Nikki Beach being loud but our friends who also stayed there could hear it all night long. We were on the opposite side of the building so maybe that is why we did not hear it. Prime 112 and Devito are across the street and excellent dining choices. The hotel is beautiful. Rooms are nice. A little small by a general hotel room standard but big by South Beach standard. The pool is small but there is nice patio area surrounding it. Lots of lounge chairs and out door sofa type things to lay around on. The restaurant by the pool does a decent breakfast. It is free if you are a diamond member. Although you do have to pay $6 to upgrade to hot food (eggs, sausages and potatoes). It is nice to eat breakfast by the pool. The beach is great. It seems to be a private beach surrounded by two public beaches so there was less of a crowd for that little area. For $17 a day you get up to four beach chairs, two umbrellas, internet service and free bike rentals. Although I never saw any bikes. The chairs on the beach are nice and you take the umbrella up and down as you please. But be sure you sign up for this when you check in. You have to have the voucher in hand when you get to the beach. The beach guys don't speak enough English to do anything more than take your voucher and have you pick out a spot.

And not the not positives...

Valet parking is $35 a day (24 hours). And you have no choice but to valet.

There are two buildings, 10 floors each. One on the beach and one behind that one. So very few rooms have an ocean view.

The service is horrible We are diamond members. They did not even care. We get free internet access, upgrades and newspapers with our diamond status. They said they don't do that at this hotel. I have stayed in much nicer Hilton's than this one in South Africa, London, Paris and Hawaii and we always got our diamond services. What makes this one so special. We were first given a standard room that faced the other building on the 10th floor. They did not even attempt to upgrade us and we treated us poorly at check in. Eventually my husband talked to a manager and we got upgraded to a small suite with a corner ocean view the second night. That was much better. The manager, Kelvin, really went out of his way to help us out. He even left us a bottle of wine and a room full of roses as an anniversary gift. But only after we complained about the service.

Our friends had even more issues. They requested turn down service 3 times and never got it. They also had to call 5 times to get the room cleaned. And after it was clean they were left with no hand towels.

There is no ice machine. If you want ice be prepared to wait an hour to get it or go down to the bar with a cooler and they will fill it up.

At check out they had charged us for a bottle of water from the mini bar. We never touched the water. We were rudely told that they do inventory every day and the a bottle was missing. There was no way the maid who has not high school diploma and does not speak English could have miscounted. We were told that we had to have taken it. At this Hilton the customer is always wrong. They restocked our fridge after we put the stuff we brought with us in it. We had some Heineken Light that the maid thought was there and she restocked the fridge with our beer!!! They don't even serve Heineken Light...only Heineken. So it was obviously ours. I just left it because I knew they would charge us for and it was not worth arguing over. Then they charged us for a pina coloda at the pool bar at 7:28 pm on Saturday night. They showed be a receipt where they wrote our room number and name and it had no signature. Funny thing....we left the hotel at 6pm for the Fontainebleau and did not return until 11pm but yet we charged a drink to the room from the pool bar at 7:28pm. We were so rudely told they would remove it from the bill for now until the investigate it. Are you kidding me??? You really think I am lying over a $12 tab???? I think the front desk guy's name is Adam. He treated our friends bad too. They are supposed to be talking to the GM today and we are calling the diamond desk to complain. This guy has to go.

This place is nice but not worth putting up with the bad service. If you do stay here don't expect an upgrade, don't even open the refrigerator, but you will be charged for something, try to avoid the front desk at all costs and if you need anything go directly to the manager.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mako2002

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
redmond, wa
Reviewed 13 June 2009

A very nice property there wasn't any construction noise when we there for 5 nights. Beach access is convenient. Everyone was really nice. Only little complaint is that it is $7-8 cab ride to the clubs and dining. But still really enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
HiltonBentley, Manager at Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach, responded to this review, 15 June 2009
Hello!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the all-suite Hilton Bentley. Your feedback offers valuable insight as to how are valued customers perceive our hotel.

Our location on the southern tip of Ocean Drive is within a two block radius of South Beach's finest restaurants and clubs including Prime 112, Joe's Stone Crabs, Devitos, Nikki Beach, and more, and only a 5-15 minute walk to everything hot on South Beach.

I was happy to hear you enjoyed our Bentley Beach Club, the premiere beach club on South Beach, exclusively serviced for our guests.

Please come back soon!

John Laclé
Director of Sales
Baltimore
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Just returned from a stay at the Bentley Beach Hotel. My husband and I had a nice stay on Hilton points. The hotel was very clean and the room was nicely appointed. The doormen were extremely helpful. Just a couple improvements would greatly improve the hotel from a customer standpoint. As a gold member, I was disappointed not to get an upgrade, as many other travel advisor forum members had noted. Admittably, we were on a points stay, but the hotel was rather empty, so I'm sure upgraded rooms were available. We did, however, have an OK view on the fourth floor - we overlooked the spa and hot tub area (but, a partial ocean view would have been better!).
The rooms definitely need soundproofing, but for a quick fix, suggest management spend a minimal amount of money to put cushions (or felt) on the bottom of the chairs. One night, the folks in the room above us seemed to be moving furniture for the better part of two hours. Each time they moved one of the chairs on the tile floors, the noise was extremely loud (even louder than our TV).
Not sure why the hotel only uses valet parking -- no self parking. The service was excellent and speedy, but quite expensive.
The location was a bit out of the way, but not a long walk to get to the busier part of South Beach. Appreciated the proximity to Joe's Stone Crab restaurant.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DonnaStram
south beach
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Extremely unprofessional, untrained and unintelligent staff, especially the management. Few rooms exist as pictured on the internet, many are very small and overlook a building 20 feet away. EXTREMELY noisy area, nikki beach blasting music all night next door, Prime 112 across the street with tons of noisy, rude valet cars clogging the street. Pool is super tiny with no sun, not one you would want to spend more than a quick swim in, no pool atmosphere. Tiny Gym. Extremely expensive restaurants. Far from main area of south beach. Only things walking distance are expensive restaurants and beach. I would only stay here if company paid for it and no better options. Raleigh, The Standard, The Delano, The Ritz all far better choices-closer to shopping/energy of South Beach and a vibrant pool atmosphere."

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smmiami
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 14 April 2009

The first night we arrived was at midnight on April 4th. We had our room booked for 6 nights. When we checked in the guy at the front desk, asked for the name. We told them the name, he looked it up and told us we must have the wrong hotel and told us to leave , that there might be another bentley hotel down the street. We stood there for about a half an hour before he confirmed that we indeed had a room. We also weren't told of hotel amenities that were available to us. Each time we left the hotel passing by the desk, we heard them telling other guests of the amenities but not us. Besides the hotel staff, except for the helpful doormen, the hotel room was great and so was the beach, I will definitely choose another hotel next time.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 April 2009

I travel to Miami for both work and pleasure over 5 times a year. I have stayed at many hotels, but none as nice as the Bentley. The hotel is a nice, quite, botique hotel, a few blocks from the main spots in south beach. The location might not be as centralized as the Lowes, but is is a nice quite neigborhood, only a few blocks from the main spots on ocean drive and close to a lot of good restaurants (Prime 112, Joes, etc.). It costs about $5 cab to Lincoln Road Mall or you can walk in about 15-20 minutes. The hotel itself is beautiful. The room was one of the nicest rooms I have ever stayed in at any hote. I had a one bedroom suite with an ocean view and beautiful balcony. The room was amazing. Very large, especially for South Beach standards. It was very large and had a nice kitchenette, living room, and dining area. I could live in the hotel room permanently. The bathroom was large and nice. The bathroom had a shower and bathtub (think all rooms in hotel are like this). The hotel is busy, but still seems as it is quite. Very nice relaxing hotel. The pool area is a little small, but still nice. The beach is great. The hotel has service at the Beach which is nice. They will bring you food and drinks. I think hotel suits the right person. It won't be perfect for the young people who come down to Miami strictly to party. This hotel is perfect for business travel or for somebody who wants to spend a nice vacation in a beautiful exclusive botique hotel in South Beach. Like I have said earlier I have stayed at many hotels in South Beach, including Surfcomber, Lowes, Delanos, and others and enjoyed my past stay (business trip) here so much I am going back next week (vacation)...Can't Wait.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Dublin, OH
Reviewed 1 April 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Bentley Beach hotel on Hilton points this past Sun-Tues (3-29-09 through 3-31-09), and I wanted to take the time to clarify some information I've read in reviews.

Overall, It was a very nice and clean hotel, but I doubt I'd pay the retail price for the regular rooms in the future. I asked for (in advance, several times) and received an upgrade to a partial ocean view room (605B) that I wouldn't consider a real suite, as there was no extra furniture besides a desk and bed. The fridge and microwave was great, though-- just run down to the Portofino liquor store a few blocks south and stock up. I tried to get us the rooms everyone talks about (407, 1001, 937 etc) but was told they were all booked. Definitely try for a room with an east-facing balcony or something that ends in -07, as these have the best views. Be careful with the people at the front desk-- our guy made a big show about giving us an "awesome" upgrade to a room with a "wraparound corner balcony" that provided both city and ocean views-- he even claimed that the room was one of his favorites and he had to run the upgrade past the manager b/c it was such an expensive room. Of course, once we got upstairs, the room did NOT have a wraparound balcony and you couldn't see the beach unless you craned around the side of the buliding or sat practically on the railing... but we were too tired to ask for anything different That being said, the balcony was roomy and we sat out there a lot having drinks before heading to dinner. The bathroom seemed mostly clean but was very small, poorly lit, and the grout in the shower (no tub) appeared old and dingy. The hanging space in the closet was small but didn't seem to be an issue for us. I can see it not being large enough for hanging clothes for a week-long trip.

The $10 resort fee that previous reviewers mentioned is no longer. Now, you either pay for the beach chairs ($7 each) and umbrellas ($10) or buy a special "beach package" at the front desk for $26 a day that included two chairs, one umbrellas, towels, DVD movies, and use of the hotel's bikes. Watch out, b/c no one offered us this package at check-in and you can't even get towels at the beach w/o buying it. I thought the pool area was very nice, and you can actually get a towel there w/o paying. There's also a small area on the fourth floor with a mini pool and hot tub-- watch out, b/c this is BY FAR the hottest hot tub I have ever experienced. It had to be over 110 degrees, no one did much besides stick their feet in it.

We didn't have an issue with any staff being rude-- everyone we met was very cordial, including the spa manager who introduced himself and gave us a short tour of the facility (very small and expensive but nice enough.) Ask, they'll give you discounts if you're interested in a service. Good luck getting a late check out-- even with several calls, they only allowed us in the room one hour longer than normal b/c apparently the condo owners were checking in that day. Yep, it seems like over half the hotel is privately owned and the rooms are managed by Hilton. Kind of strange.

If anyone is interested, we're very much foodies so dining was hugely important to us. There was no included buffet breakfast for concierge level floors or Hilton Gold members like some reviews claimed so we just picked up food at the CVS on 5th and wine/cheese/crackers at the Portofino market and had nice breakfasts and lunches on the balcony of our room. We read a ton of reviews and decided to eat at Blue Door (Delano), Prime 112, and China Grill for dinners and they were all very, very good. Prime 112 was even better than our meal there last year. Ask around, b/c all the restaurants owned by the China Grill folks are still offering the Miami Spice menu. It's supposed to end on 3/31 but our server told us they were thinking of extending it.

Overall, it was a very nice and relaxing trip... I'm just not sure I'd shell out the $500 a night for the room we stayed in. I really do like the SoFi area though, so I might look into renting one of the larger suites from an owner.

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple