“Nice, new small hotel, great location- 1/2 the price of the big name hotels”
Review of Gale South Beach

Gale South Beach
Ranked #52 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Just came back from a trip to South Beach with friends. The Gale is a new small hotel right on Collins Avenue -- just one block from Lincoln road and one block from the beach -- located across the street from the Delano for those familiar with South Beach. The Gale is associated with the Shelburne hotel that's on the beach and about 1/2 block down so guests have beach chair/cushion/towel access which is extremely convenient. Excellent service. Nice restaurant coffee bar and bar. Hotel has a cute restaurant which we didn't use so I can't properly rate this. One strange thing is that if you enter from the back side of the hotel (where the valet parking is), the name on the hotel building is the Regent. This can be a little confusing for those looking for the valet parking service.

The ceiling 'rain shower' is very nice, BUT, know that the bathroom shower and sink area don't have a separate door separating them from the hotel room. (Though the toilet is in a private area). They are partially blocked by the sink and window, but for anyone sharing a room that wants to shower in privacy, be aware of this. Unless you are very comfortable with your roommate I wouldn't recommend sharing a room for this reason. The rooms is comfortable, new and clean. Very nicely stocked mini-bar. Hotel also offers guests umbrellas to borrow which I thought was unique and convenient. My only complaints: Room does not have any sort of drawers or a countertop to put things (though there is a hanging closet above the mini bar), which leaves you living out of your suitcase for items that would go in a drawer, and while the mini bar is stocked with every sort of drink imaginable, there was no coffee in the room and no complimentary coffee in the lobby. If I were on a longer trip, the lack of drawer space might have bothered me a little more. Lobby coffee shop doesn't open until 7 so for those early risers, you'll have to go outside the hotel for coffee. As with probably many hotels in this area with late nightlife, it can also be a little noisy for rooms in the lower levels -- if this is a problem for you the hotel will offer earplugs or you can ask for a room on an upper level. The window coverings do a great job of completely blocking out all of the sunlight and darkening the room for those that need a dark room to sleep.

Another small complaint is that our room wasn't ready until about 4:45 pm. Had we arrived much earlier in the day this might have been a real bother. One last thing - the hotel charges a 'resort fee' which I believe they credit back when you have a drink at the bar/restaurant; however, the check in folks never explained this to us so we didn't fully take advantage of the credit -- be sure to ask about how this works.

Overall, I'd recommend it and I'd stay here again for the price, location,service, beach access and comfort/cleanliness of the rooms but I can't quite give it a 5 rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper levels if noise is a problem for you.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Gale South Beach

Reviewed 9 February 2013

The hotel is really nice and the rooms are beautiful! The service was great and Andres the bellman is by far the best employee! I would love to see him again the next time i come back, he always gives you his full attention! I will definitely stay in this hotel again... Amazing experience!

• Stayed: January 2013
Anamaria T, Manager at Gale South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Dear jeaneteeg,
Thank you for taking the time to recognize Andres! He is truly an asset of the Gale Team and I will make sure to pass the recognition on to him. Please contact us at galeguest@meninhotels.com to book your beautiful room for the next trip down to Miami Beach!

Reviewed 9 February 2013

Jjust back from a five night stay at The Gale Hotel. There are so many things to say about this hotel so I'll start with the good:
The refurbishment is a great success and the designer has created a real feeling of deco glamour. The rooms are chic and the beds extremely comfortable. Everything feels new and clean. The restaurant is an absolute winner, delicious Italian food and an excellent wine list. The hotel staff are warm and friendly, always trying to help and ready to listen.
So, a thoroughly enjoyable experience? Yes, bar one thing - the NOISE. Even though I had requested a quiet room on a high floor I was given a room very close to the bar on the ground floor. I cannot even begin to explain how noisy it was. I was in Miami on business and very jet lagged, but I don't think I got more than four hours sleep a night during my stay. The bar was so loud that I may as well have been in the same room- I could hear every conversation, every word of each Motown song sometimes until as late as 3am. My room seemed to throb and hum with the beat. It was so frustrating but there was nothing I could do except wear earplugs and stuff a pillow over my head.
Would i stay at The Gale again? Well, perhaps if i were in Miami to party i wouldn't find the noise as bothersome. As I checked out I was assured that the owners of the hotel were about to spend $30,000 on extra soundproofing. The owners need to decide whether they are concentrating on being a club, or a hotel, as they are putting their lovely hotel staff in a very difficult position having to listen to the constant complaints. In the meantime, if you are travelling to Miami on business, insist on a room on a high floor, or make sure you have a very good pair of earplugs.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Helen M
Reviewed 4 February 2013

This hotel is absolutely beautiful and reminded us a lot of an amazing boutique hotel we love in Paris. The property is a mix of dark wood, white marble, and sumptuous lighting -- from the lobby, bars, and pool deck to the guest rooms. The proximity to the sister property is across the street and one black away, and we were given access to the beach club, which was great (food and drink service, along with beach chairs, towels, umbrellas, etc.) Great location, and easy to access shops, restaurants and clubs.

FAVORITES: The best part of the experience was the service we received. The bartenders in the lobby restaurant and the pool bar make amazing drinks, and were incredibly friendly and hospitable. Demitri at the pool bar and the Pool Attendant (forget his name) were particularly wonderful. The beds, pillows, and linens are also incredibly comfortable!

CON: Like many European hotels, however, it did lack the storage space one grows accustomed to in American properties. There is very small closet above the mini-fridge, and there's no dresser. We were on the third floor and could faintly hear the basement club from the hallway, but no in our room. Our friends who arrived a day earlier had to be moved form the 1st to 3rd floors because the club was so loud.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 3rd or 4th floors -- the nightclub in the basement is audible from 1st floo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Riley B,
Thank you for your most rewarding feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that the hotel décor was to your liking and the staff met your expectations particularly in our service delivery. We regret you were slightly inconvenienced by the size of the dresser as we would have been more than happy to provide you with extra clothing racks. We hope to see you back at the Gale!

Reviewed 3 February 2013

I am a frequent visitor of Miami Beach, and this time was in town for a conference at a nearby hotel that is much too large and sandals-esque for my taste. Gale was running a special as part of their opening and despite some concerning reviews on Trip Advisor I thought I’d give it a try for a Thursday – Sunday stay. What a gem. The hotel is fabulously decorated and spotless. It really embodies the charm of the classic SoBE boutique hotel while still providing all the perks of a larger chain. I called ahead to let them know I was in town for a meeting and as such would have early mornings and needed a quiet room. I also had presentation posters shipped to them (which arrived as scheduled and were secured, cared for and retrieved without a hitch). My check-in was seamless and the front desk staff was professional and courteous. The room (402) was much larger than expected based on prior reviews, and I was taken up by a lovely pair of young men who helped me settle in and showed me how all the nuances of the room worked. I slept like a baby, and although I could hear the faint hum of music from below at night it was certainly nowhere near what I would consider disruptive. I never tried out the club or restaurant, but each evening after my meeting and obligatory work dinners were over I stopped at the front bar for a nightcap. The bartenders were Armani and Dennis, and they were a fantastic team. The drinks were delicious and their service was impeccable. The bar was quite the scene in the evenings, yet they seemed to somehow be able to distinguish between hotel guests and the rest of the flock, and in such I was always offered a seat at the bar, some friendly conversation and truly exceptional service. The roof top pool is amazing, and again, spotless. The view is amazing and the water is the perfect temperature so that even on a chilly 70 degree day you can enjoy a comfortable swim. They have great beach accommodations as well, but honestly I couldn’t drag myself from the pool. It gets sun all day, but was never crowded-even on a sunny Saturday afternoon. After countless trips down here and trying out many other hotels in the area, I can honestly say that I can’t wait for my next trip down so I can again stay at what is certainly now, but won’t be for long, SoBE’s best kept secret.

Room Tip: if you're looking for quiet nights, the higher the better
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Dear lisamm23,
Wow! SoBE’s best kept secret indeed! We are delighted you had a memorable stay and that the hotel’s amenities and staff catered to your every need. Our rooftop pool is definitely a great spot for relaxing and fun times while enjoying a delicious drink and admiring the breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. We are looking forward to your next trip too as we would love to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 3 February 2013

Recently spent 2 nights at the Gale. Perfect location. Beautiful inside and out. Staff was very friendly. Enjoyed the rooftop pool and the beach chairs at the sister hotel across the street. Only a few minor complaints. We did not have cell service in our room and internet was spotty. Be aware that the showers are part of the room...great for honeymooner's, but not for those sharing a room on a business trip. The restaurant needs some improvement. If you are going to charge $7 for yogurt and fruit, don't put it in a plastic cup. Also, the manager shouldn't yell at a waiter for being late in front of guests. These are minor things..we wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Gale during our next trip to Miami.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear keeptraveling88,
Thank you sincerely for posting this valuable feedback, it is always great to hear from our guests. I regret your restaurant experience were not up to our standards and assure you we have addressed your comments with the restaurant manager to prevent further guest dissatisfaction. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

Professional guest services and terrific location makes the Gale the ideal getaway.
Very nice rooms with upgraded accessories. It did lack a dresser for clothes. They can improve on their "green efforts."
Lots of positive comments about the Gale within the current popular properties.
The staff was very accomodating during a busy weekend.
It was a nice touch to have access to the beach through the Shelbourne.
The front desk staff was thorough ensuring guest satisfaction. I will definitely look to the Gale for future getaways.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear hassj24,
Gale Team is happy to know you consider our hotel as the ideal getaway! We take pride in ensuring our Guests’ experience is seamless and are truly proud to have achieved this with you. Feel free to contact us at galeguest@meninhotels.com to book your room for your future South Beach getaway!