Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Ranked #97 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at the James Royal Palm for two nights to attend a wedding, so did not take advantage of all its features, but we were impressed by the location, the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff; the modernist design of the lobby, restaurants, and rooms; the comfort of the bed; and the quality of the bath products. That said, our sleep was interrupted by the loud noise of our neighbors' showers and toilets (which sounded like they were in our room), the clicking of heels on the uncarpeted floor above us, and the nightclub associated with the hotel, which apparently stays open until 4 or 5 a.m. There is definitely not enough soundproofing in the walls, floors, or windows of the hotel. Our only other issue was the housekeeping, which was somewhat spotty -- there was a dead plant in the bathroom that had clearly been there awhile, the windows were dirty, and used dishes were not removed when the room was serviced.

Room Tip: Unless you like a vibrating floor, do not choose a room in the tower above the nightclub (although w...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,655)

Reviewed 8 April 2013

My family and I traveled to South Beach for nine days during spring break. We had heard great things about the The James Royal Palm, but our personal experience exceeded our expectations. Upon arrival, we were greeted by professional and friendly bellmen. Their attire as with the attire of the hotel staff was casual, yet on trend. We were immediately provided with our rooms and were extremely pleased with the architecture and efficiency of the layout. The hotel restaurants, lounge and bar areas are all beautiful! The pool area is chic, but the service is what makes it special. Each morning, our lounge chairs would be prepared with plush covers and towels. Michael, the pool concierge would come by often with cold fresh fruit and liquor drenched fruit for the adults. The beach attendants provided the same luxury service. It was a very nice touch! Again, the staff really makes this hotel! Star was a pool/beach attendant and our whole party fell in love with her warm personality and great activity suggestions. The high level of service and accommodations the staff provides make a great experience, perfection! This hotel gets service right. They are attentive, yet allow you breathing room to enjoy and relax. Since we were there during the Easter holiday, we woke up Easter Sunday to a beautifully decorated pool area and an easter egg hunt with nearly 1000 easter eggs hidden along the beach. My nine year old twins got their faces painted, a clown prepared beautiful balloon art and we painted holiday cookies. As with everything at this hotel, every component of The James Royal Palm is what you would expect from a luxury hotel only elevated to a new level. We dined at Catch and the Florida Cookery and I only have great things to say about each restaurant. This hotel is amazing! The gym is well equipped and open 24hours as are the pools. This is a plus! The location is great as well because it is walking distance to shopping, dining and nightlife. There is so much to do around this location. The only place I did not explore was the spa. We were so busy enjoying the warm weather that I did not want to miss it. Next time! We stayed at The James Royal Palm at a time when the hotel was at 99% capacity, yet you would never know it given the impressive staff performance. After nine days, our vacation came to an end and we were so sad to say goodbye! Now that's what I call a resort experience! Job well done! See ya soon, Royal Palm!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Brynee B
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at The James for four days the week before easter. The hotel was pritty full, but the service was still very good. Everyone from the front desk to the poolgirls were always smiling and serviceminded. Our room was however a small disapointment. We had a king bedroom with partial oceanwiev, which we thougt had a balcony. It did not, but our friends room had one, and it was so small you can hardly call it a balcony. As to the rooms, we find ti a bit overpriced, but I guess the perfect location justifies the price. I can definately recomende The James, and stay there again, but If I do, I will stay in a cheaper room. By the way, the bed was amazing.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I'm a James Chicago regular and I truly like that hotel. I was intrigued to see if the James formula translated to sobe and so, rather than booking my usual sobe escape down the road from the James, decided to try the newly renovated and opened James in sobe. I have been traveling to miami beach for over 20 years and have seen many changes, including the original demolition and re-building the original royal palm hotel.

Things to know historically - the complex contains one original historic building, the ShoreCrest, which has been converted by the James group to Catch restaurant and SL Miami nightclub. This building fronts Collins Ave. The entrance to the lobby and hotel proper is through the rebuilt Royal Palm hotel, a small art deco building rebuilt to the exact specifications of the original building that once stood here. There are two (large) modern towers that were built during the first renovation by a local architecture/design firm.

There were a few things that did not meet my expectations. I won't dwell on design details etc that may not matter to other potential guests but there is one big thing that deserves comment.

This is a large hotel complex in a relatively small space. The two modern towers house many many rooms. Why is this a big deal? Because the outdoor space is now at a premium relative to the amount of guests occupying the hotel. The outdoor pool area is just too small to accomodate the number of guests comfortably, let alone with any feeling of luxury or relaxation. The footprint is just not there. The pool does not appear much larger than some suburban home pool.

The beach area was way overcrowded. Chairs were packed like sardines. Umbrellas were not available to everyone. There was, at times, a wait list to get a chair at the beach and pool. This was not "luxury liberated". I stress this because there is no easy way to fix this problem when the hotel is near occupancy - expect to be uncomfortable and packed. We gave up on several days and walked over to another hotel to obtain day passes to get some much needed R&R.

To me, much of the sobe/miami beach experience is the pool and beach culture. On this front the James just cannot deliver because of decisions made during the renovation.

There are positives here, including two outstanding onsite restaurants (Catch and Florida Cookery), outstanding staff who take pride in their work and go the extra mile, nicely decorated rooms with very comfortable beds/bed linens and nicely appointed bathrooms. I also really appreciated the eco-friendly initiatives in the rooms.

Bottom line - good for business and corporate events at the convention center. Not so great if you are looking for just beach/pool-centric rest and relaxation.

Room Tip: we had both a partial view king and three bedroom apt - both were very good.
2  Thank m0rrissey
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from a vacation in South Beach, and I wanted to be sure to write a review for the Royal Palm, particularly the staff. They were friendly and helpful and never seemed to get ruffled. Early in the trip, there was a mix up on an appointment for me at the spa. The concierge sent strawberries and sparkling wine to apologize. It was a very nice treat!

The pools were very pretty, the restaurant was good, as were the rooms. We read a lot about the "paper-thin walls," so we paid for an upgrade. Didn't hear a sound. I think my only complaint was that we felt a little nickel and dimed. I don't mind paying for good food or service, but $5 for coffee? For 8 oz of Coke? That's just a bit too far.

Reviewed 6 April 2013

Myself ( katrina edwards) and 4 girlfriends stayed here for 8 days march 27th- april 4th 2013, for a bacholerette week, and will be returning! ebookers messed up our booking, but on arrival the reception staff were amazing, the german male staff member (forgot his name) was only interested in ensuring we were happy! there was no negotiation in fixing the room predicament (ebookers messed up) it was resolved immediately, and the attitude of him was an excellent one! very polite and well mannered, perfect person to be working front desk! all the reception staff were clearly dedicated to customer care! and you could see by their faces, they genuinly enjoyed their job! something you don't get in other hotels. every staff member we came across was amazing!!! always smling! always wanting to help, and so polite! well spoken, and clearly very well chosen by the hotel manager! Matthew, the manager personally made our stay memorable and we will always be thankful for his kindness and generosity, he upgraded our standard rooms ( x2) to a 3 bed apartment or the last 3 days pf our stay! and gave complimetary champagne and spa treatments to my best friend ( bride to be). the valets, were great, and t felt like family! their efforts and hard work have to be respected and appreciated, because they do a great job! love this hotel. and i will endorse to anyone to stay there! this hotel is at least 5* plus some! I have stayed in botels all over the world, and not one come close this one, smly because the staff made it perfect!!! again!!! I THANK MATTHEW (The Manager) FOR HIS COMMITMENT TO SEEING THIS HOTEL STANDS ABOVE THE REST!!!!!!!! IT DOES!!!!! THANKYOU ALL AT JAMES ROYAL PALM. Katrina Edwards (Room 924 & 1207/1209)

Room Tip: All the rooms are very boutique in design, extremely clean and the beds are crazy comfortable!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed here with my family over Easter weekend. We had two rooms. First off - the rooms are so small! But I am not going to write my review that way. Let me just tell you first what was good..

Pros:
Location
Beach access and beach amenities
Pool was not over crowded
Restaurant was good
Staff was nice
Great TVs for watch NCAA tournament

Cons:
Cleanliness - maybe they are working on this, but my room was always tidy but there was always sand on tables tops and supplies never replenished. Shabby for a hotel at this level.
Thin Walls - this can not be over looked. I could hear my neighbors conversations every morning at 6am and every evening/morning at 2am. They were not being loud or inconsiderate, this hotel just has all hard flat surfaces - their isn't much in the rooms to absorb sounds - and thin walls.
Room size - My husband and I had a room together and we were fine sharing but my sons, both over 6ft, really felt cramped. Bathroom was pretty nice though.

I would not stay here again. For the price I'm sure there are comparable properties with better housekeeping and quieter rooms. Noise was the big turn off for me! I think the hotel was probably full, so the issues I am describing may not be a factor when the hotel is only partially full. But, do you want to take a chance?

Bring ear plugs if you want to have a relaxing sleep!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank BiancaPhilly