“Good Design, Great Service at a Nice Price”

Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Ranked #97 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed at the james for a week, I was traveling alone, and it was an excellent place to be. The room was smartly designed with plenty of amenities - robes, slippers, room service, bottled water (eco-friendly- a glass bottle of triple filtered water, refilled daily), good TV, modern clean bathroom and plenty of closet space,-- and the decor was modern without being precious, and charming,with small design details that gave it some flair. The staff were all quite friendly and helpful. The pool area is comfortable and contemporary without being a scene (which South Beach can have too much of), and service for the ocean front chairs was terrific. When you sat down (at pool or ocean) you were given a little wicker basket with two tangerines, bottles of water and and the menu. Perfect. I usually stay at more costly hotels like the Raleigh, and was tired of feeling a bit ripped off. The James was great value for the money and I will certainly stay here again. The reason it isn't getting an "excellent" rating is that I save that for truly outstanding (and usually super expensive hotels), but this hotel did it's job extremely well. And one more thing -its location is terrific; on the ocean and just blocks from Lincoln Road.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,617)

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Management was very friendly. Everyone knew about my birthday and send a complimentary bottle of champagne to the room, which all six of us polished off. The room was great, spacious enough for that kind of party. The staff made check-out easy for me. By the time I got to reception, my cab was waiting to take me to the airport. All this was handled at warp speed and very impressive.

Other service items are in dire need of improvement. Both staff and other guests said this was probably due to the hotel being refurbished and barely open several months and this was the high season on top of that. When I checked in, I had to ask for a room change, as my top floor room was under the hotel air conditioning unit, emitting a steady hum that drove me crazy. When I called, they sent up a man within minutes who showed me an alternative room. When I OK'd the room, he told me to wait until he brought me the key card. I waited and waited and waited. Finally, I went to reception and got the key card. I took all my luggage down with me. She said she sent someone up there. I told her he appeared the first time to show me the room, was going to return with the key card but never did.

I had to call twice times to get extra champagne glasses for the party. Guest services wanted a particular time and so I pulled 4:30PM off the top of my head. By 6:00 they had not arrived. I called again. Fortunately, when we got back from dinner, they were there.

The hotel has a rather rigid and inefficient policy for housekeeping. When my room had not been serviced by 4:30PM, reception told me that the hours are from some time in the morning until 5:00 in the afternoon. Many hotels have this policy. However, other hotels are more flexible if you need your room serviced earlier. The last night I was in town we were having an early dinner. Therefore, I did not want housekeeping coming in at 4:30 when I was getting dressed. I called guest services at 2:30PM that day and asked if it would be possible to have someone come by my room at 3:00 and service it. I was assured this was no problem at all. At 3:45 when I returned from the pool and needed to shower and dress, nobody had come. I called guest services and tried to be polite. I said I did not like being told confidently that something would be done and not have it done. This had been happening for three days now and I was really losing it. At 4:00 housekeeping knocked and I told the woman to come in. I said so in Spanish. Taking a look at her, I could tell that if her IQ were any lower, the hotel would have to water her three times per day. She said "no problem" and promptly disappeared. I called guest services again who told me she probably misunderstood. I don't know what there was to misunderstand when I waved her in. Then there was another knock on the door. I thought it was housekeeping. It was someone who wanted to check the minibar. I was on the phone with guest services and promptly slammed the door in the poor woman's face.

By the end of the trip I was to aggravated to keep being polite in the face of being told things would get done and not have them done until I pushed. Given that the "worker bee" staff seems to know what the problem is and given that other guests are being patient because the hotel in its current situation is relatively new, I will give it another chance. The location is great. The pool area is super. The breakfast is great.

I was also confused about the resort fee. I almost waived it, but I had the impression that the receptionist would not check me in without it. She said it was for use of the pool, business center and work out room. The whole three days I was there nobody checked on my use of any of these, so why the resort fee?

The only thing that seems to be lacking is managerial oversight. One can be patient with a new venture for only so long. Let's hope this place gets its act together.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 17th floor. The air conditioning unit for the entire hotel is on the 17th floor...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We had a great stay at the James Royal Palm in South Beach. The place had a cool vibe! Our room was finished nicely and was well maintained. On site valet was great (just a little pricey). Thye pool area and beach access were great. The staff was very attentive.

Room Tip: request an upgrade
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We spent ten days this April at the James Royal Palm in South Beach. Centrally located, and one block from the beautiful beaches there, the Royal Palm was quiet, clean, modern, well-equipped (Wi-Fi, big flat screen TV, etc.) and had some of the nicest, most generous and friendliest service we've ever experienced. The hotel staff were consistently helpful, from the concierge, to the front desk and including the pool and private beach staff! Everyone seemed happy to be there and made our stay that much more enjoyable.
I also recommend the James because of its location. Turn left out of the hotel and you come to Espanola Way, which turns into a pedestrian-only mix of restaurants and shops. Turn right and go up one block and you come to Lincoln Road. Lincoln Road also becomes pedestrian after a block and is loaded with restaurants of evey kind. Behind the James is a lovely pool area, and then you come to the beach, which is well maintained and where you could easily spend all day, relaxing and enjoying the very friendly service and tasty food on offer.
All in all, we loved it and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Get a ocean view if you can, but the rooms are nice no matter where you are.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

McCauley H-

Thank you for the kind review of The James Royal Palm! I really appreciate the positive feedback and am thrilled to read about your experience with our team. With our Guest Centric approach to hiring, training and operating, we aim to provide an environment where our team can be themselves and take the time to get to know our customers in an effort to be the nicest, most generous and friendliest team in South Beach. Proud that you got the opportunity to experience it.

Thank you again and look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I've been coming to Miami Beach twice a year for years, and I've stayed at almost every hotel in the area. Now that I've experienced the James Royal Palm, I won't be staying anywhere else. Why? Because this hotel is the perfect mix of South Beach cool and upscale resort. The rooms are beautifully designed and comfortable. The restaurants are high-end quality establishments. The three bars are perfect. The service is perfect. The beach is perfect.

If you need a loud, hip crowd in the lobby of the place you stay, the James isn't for you. If you are the type of person who needs to claim their chairs by the pool at 9am, this place isn't for you. However, if you want a hotel that doesn't feel crowded and hectic, even when it is at 100% capacity, I couldn't recommend this place any more.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

zanderreps-

Perfect review. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back twice a year for years to come!

See you soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2013

Our stay at The James Royal Palm was lovely. The room was immaculately clean, beautiful, modern and unique with a great sea view and some thoughtful touches. Although, described as having a balcony it should perhaps be made clear that the balconies are very small and unfurnished. We did have a bad noise issue in our room as the air conditioning units were on the roof directly above (we were on the 16th Floor) and were so loud as to cause the room to actually vibrate a little ! We ended up having to move into a different room at 12.30pm, leaving all of our luggage behind until the next morning, this was a real pain but the hotel staff did deal with the situation pretty quickly and were kind enough to offer us a late check out the following day (5pm) at no charge which certainly made up for this. The location on Collins Avenue, steps away from Ocean Drive is perfect. The beautiful pool area (2 pools and a lovely Jacuzzi) couldn't really accommodate all of the guests while we were there, however the hotel has a large section of beach which had an endless supply of beach beds and umbrellas and a friendly, efficient food and beverage service. We ate lunch at the poolside bar/restaurant which was excellent too.Overall I would describe the hotel as modern, beautiful and fashionable and it certainly attracts a crowd to match. However the laid back atmosphere created by the largely wonderful staff made us feel welcome and relaxed and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to all kinds of travelers looking for a high end hotel in a perfect South Beach location.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

elaine-nicki,

Thank you for the fantastic review of The James Royal Palm. I appreciate your kind words about the design, thoughtful touches, location, pool/beach service and gracious recovery by the team to noise issue in your room and apologize for the late night move. We will certainly check on the issue and correct.

Thank you for recommending us and I look forward to your next visit!

General Manager.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

I would just like to thank the management and staff for the best experience I've had in Miami! My husband and I stayed at the James in April and we couldn't be more pleased with the service, beauty and excellence at the James. From the smiles welcoming us to the hotel to the service poolside, beachside and room, we loved every aspect of the welcoming nature!

We live in Washington, DC and have decided that we want to make frequent getaways to Miami, and the James will definitely be our go-to hotel. Just wanted to reiterate my thanks for such a pleasant experience and keep up the good work!

Hoda H-

Thanks for the smile today! Loved your review and pleased to read about the performance of our team. We are thrilled to be your "go-to" hotel and look forward to a long and happy relationship!

Hope to see you back soon.