“Great hotel in South Beach”

Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Ranked #99 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Canada
“Great hotel in South Beach”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I just came back today from a 4 days getaway at the James Royal Palm with 2 friends. Overall I'm very happy we picked this hotel, however I cannot give it a perfect rating for a few reasons.

I will start by saying that the room was great.
The decoration was nice, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was clean and spacious. We had booked an ocean view room..Let s just say we did not really see the ocean from our room. In order to see the ocean we had to go on the balcony and look between two buildings to see the water. If you want a ocean view, that might not be what you will be getting. We didnt mind that much, but just felt that we would not have paid the extra amount to get an ocean view room, had we known that that s what we would be getting.

The service at the hotel was truly exceptional. Everyone was extremely friendly.Everyone at the beach and at the pool were really helpful, even though we were there during a very busy weekend. I would give the service a 10/10, with one exception. One of the concierge...I do not remember his name, but I do not know how he got a job as a concierge. We asked him if there would be anything interesting going on in South Beach during Labor day weekend, and he answered: "Not really anything is going on this weekend" I really have a hard time believing that. Then we asked him about the opening hours of a mall, and he simply told us that he didnt know...Anything we would ask him, he wouldnt be able to give us an answer.

We had breakfeast at the hotel everyday during our stay. Breakfast was always really good, and we really enjoyed the view from the upstairs dining room.

The grounds and restaurants of the hotel were great also. There s a cool and relaxed vibe that we really appreciated and I would definitely consider staying there again during my next stay in South Beach if I would be able to make sure to get an ocean view room next time.

Room Tip: The room we were in, 902, you could hear the music from the club downstairs. If you are a light slee...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thanks for detailing your stay. While we are glad to hear that most elements of your visit met your expectations, it is disappointing to hear that the view and one of our concierges did not. I hope that you will come back to stay with us next time you are traveling in South Beach again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I truly enjoyed my 4 day stay. Staff retrieved our bags, and gave us a refreshing drink upon arrival. Check in was smooth. The room was perfect. I saw on the site beforehand that renovation was taking place and we lost power twice but it was only for a matter of minutes. The cabanas and the pool are beautiful. I would definitely recommend this hotel to future travelers.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank BahamianCapricorn
So glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us. I certainly apologize for the power outages during your stay. Unfortunately they affected much of South Beach but only for a few minutes each time. I hope you will visit us again in the near future.
Santa Monica
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have stayed at The James in NYC and now Miami. Service is unparalleled, especially at this price point. All staff are super helpful and management goes above and beyond. We were in Miami for our 3rd anniversary and hotel management provided us with a fantastic upgraded room and a great bottle of prosecco. As someone who travels frequently, I wish The James Hotels were in every city. Simply the best!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for telling us about your stay. It is great to hear that we hit it out of the ballpark! We hope you will have great memories to share with family and friends and that you will definitely tell them to come see us when they visit Florida!
Miami Beach
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel is in a great location which is in close walking distance to everything you will need. Very clean and the service is very good. I have already booked for our next visit in January and are looking forward to it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We are excited to welcome you back for your next trip in January! Thanks for letting us know how we did and hurry back.
Florida
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Disappointed in several areas...
This was our 30th anniversary and after contacting the hotel a few times to arrange champagne and something special set up in our room it never happened. I was not looking for a hand out and was willing to pay for this but they missed it completely. Not even a "Happy Anniversary".

The room had several issues: Toilet kept running, wet hole in bathroom ceiling, bath exhaust fan very loud and the A/C did not cool effectively. This is why I could not give this hotel a higher rating. Staff needs to be trained to report problems to engineering and what to look for.
We switched rooms late the second night after a few trips to the front desk and several emails.
The new room was nicer but to be critical still had maintenance issues. For example the marble floor at the toilet had a gross stain coming from under the toilet.
Room was not ready at 4pm check in time.

Double check your bill and save receipts. There are a lot of hidden fees not explained. For example the beach chairs are $13 each and an umbrella at $10. Should be $36. But there must be taxes and additional service fees. To bring it near. $48. Also he same with beach food. A salad had a lot of extra fees on it not explained. Also we were charged for an honor bar purchase that we never used.
Heads up for travelers not familiar with the Miami area, parking and resort fees are extra unless you have a special package. Approximately $39.00 to valet. Near by parking is available if you don't mind a short walk.
Other maintenance problem. Room key did not work. It took 3 trips to the front desk. Finally they sent the bellman up with me to let me in and he contacted engineering.
Kudos to Anthony he is extremely professional and helpful.

Pros:
Hotel location, staff general friendly and professional, special attention at the beach and pool with fresh fruit delivered. Even a man going around with a watering pail to rinse sandy feet. I think is name is Michael. He is also very professional.
Continental Breakfast is limited but good. They provide you with excellent service and provide mini coffee containers at the table. Best service for a continental Breakfast.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are quieter. The lower rooms can have more street noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
I was so disappointed to hear about the experiences with your room and also that we missed the opportunity to make your Anniversary something special for both of you. We always try to give our guests great memories to take home with them and it certainly looks like we missed the mark during your stay with us. I apologize for the issues you experienced as well as the fees that you were not made aware of in advance. It is never our intention to surprise you with any of the costs. I hope that you will give us another try if your travels bring you down to the Miami Beach area in the future.
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My wife and I have stayed at a number of places in South Beach over the years and we even got married there. We always look for deals on nice hotels and try to stay somewhere differnet every time. For this trip, we decided on the James Royal Palm, since we knew that they had just been through a pretty extensive renovation. Enjoyed the hotel very much and the service was excellent. They have a great set up at the beach and can get you set up with chairs and an umbrella, as long as you are not coming to the beach too late in the day. Pleanty of people around to help you with whatever you need and the Florida Cookery is a great place to have lunch by the pool. When we arrived, we had reserved a City View Room (cheapest we could book online) and were happy that we were upgraded to a Lanai room by the pool. Room was very nice, but there were a few marks on the white tile floors. Asked housekeeping to come by and clean the floor. They did, but it was not that much better. Not much that they could do about it. My only complaint about the hotel was that on Saturday afternoon, they put a bean bag toss game (some know it at corn hole) out by the pool for everyone to play with. On both Saturday and Sunday nights, when drunk people would come back from the clubs, they woudl play the game right outside of our room. I called the front desk a number of times to complain and they never really did anything. I had to keep getitng out of bed and scream at the drunk idiots. Finally, I just put in some ear plugs and turned up the AC to try and drown out the noise. It kind of worked. We like the James Royal Palm a lot, but I just wish that the front desk/management would have thougth about putting that stupid game away in the evenings, so that we could get some sleep.

Room Tip: Third floor Lanai room is probabaly the best. Make sure to steal the bean bags before you go to sle...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to detail your stay. I am so sorry that we were not proactive in removing the game from the breezeway and that it disturbed your sleep. That issue has been rectified and hopefully you will give us another try. We look forward to having you as our guest again.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I have to say that returning to this hotel after renovation was thus far my best choice in south beach miami. Renovation, service and employees completely blew me away! My stay was from August 7-12. room 1447 ocean view!! thank you!!! Loved the service of my room attendant Cristina, the waitress at Florida cookery ( Irene) who haves us great recommendations on the food. I can't believe I dare to taste fried green tomatoes and best white sangria..It was just simply delicious! thanks to irene. Great menu, delicious food. The only thing i have to comment.. mojitos are not very well made. i had to return them for extra club soda or sugar with a couple of bartenders, different times.The beach boys were very helpful for accommodations at the beach, Lester was having conversations with all the guests including myself while waiting for our chairs and umbrella which I thought it was great way engage with the guests. Loveeeddd The amenities - the bikes which We rode to ocean drive, the James basket at the beach and the amenity on my bedroom, the cookies- and it was all complimentary! Wow! I had in room dining breakfast and a couple massage! highly recommend! the girls at the spa were amazing!! I highly recommended this hotel to all my friends from NYC! Coming back to the James! Soon!

Room Tip: Take a corner ocean view room! Sunrise and sunset are just breathtaking!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks so much for telling us about your stay. It is great to hear that we helped you to make some wonderful memories. I will certainly tell Christina, Irene and Lester that they were instrumental in making your stay that much more special. We will definitely work on our Mojitos for your next visit. Come back soon!