“Great hotel, low-key atmosphere”

Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Ranked #99 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Miami Beach
“Great hotel, low-key atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Great service and low-key atmosphere without bother. Easy to go to gym, pool, beach at no charge and without hassle. Great location. Low Key. Fantastic room and tub in bathroom. Beach area is also awesome.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Samuel H
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
I am so glad we were able to offer you the experience that you were looking for in South Beach. Many people comment on the relaxed atmosphere while only being steps away form the fun and excitement of Ocean Blvd and Lincoln Rd. I hope you will return again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

The James Royal Palm is extremely comfortable, well maintained, and surprisingly. While we stay there while our new condo is being renovated and so don't have time to use most amenities, they appear to be top notch. Both restaurants (Florida Cookery and Catch) are worth a try. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank nsf_33304
Thank you for the lovely endorsement. I am so happy you chose to stay with us while your new residence is being finished. I hope that you will return to use the amenities when you have more time to enjoy yourself. Thank you again and I hope you enjoy your new home!
Winnipeg, Manitoba
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

There were positives and negatives to my stay at the James. First, the good:

- The lobby and restaurant area are beautifully done, really lovely.

- Florida Cookery serves some really delicious food. The Lee Shrager burger is fabulous if you're looking for a bit of a guilty indulgence.

- Location can't be beat, on the beach, walking distance to Lincoln Road, near other restaurants, etc.

- Room (I had an oceanfront with balcony) was very quiet, didn't hear any noise from the hallway or outside, which made for a good sleep.

And a bit of the not-so-good:

- I noticed that some guests around the pool got little baskets of goodies. Apparently everyone gets one, but the person bringing them around skipped me and a few others.

- I got someone else's order in the restaurant, had to wait for them to remake my dinner. The restaurant wasn't even half-full, but the waitress didn't notice that I had been seated for about 15 minutes. I thought they might offer some sort of adjustment on the bill since they had been delayed in serving me, and then brought the wrong meal, but nada. Hmm.

- The room was not terribly clean. There were little brown stains on the sofa, brown splash marks on the wall and vanity, hair pins on the balcony. It was a skeevy sort of start to my stay to enter that room.

Generally, I liked the hotel and the atmosphere. It wouldn't be my first choice when I come back, but I wouldn't rule it out, either. Middle of the road!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
thank you for the review and for your feedback. It is nice to read that you enjoyed our location and Florida Cookery. I apologize that you were overlooked while at the pool and did not receive your James Basket. that is certainly not something that we want to ever hear. I hope you will return and try us again in the future.
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed at the James this past weekend for a 3 night stay and it was excellent! The location was great right on Collins a block away from the beach, close to ocean drive and licoln. The room was nice, it was modern and clean. The size of the property was nice, I really felt as if I was on a resort, very different from the usual miami boutique hotels. I stayed at the z ocean a few months ago on my last visit and it was nice, however this was much better! All staff was attentive and was there to help with anything I asked. I really enjoyed the free bike rental, I used it for a quick ride down ocean drive. We checked in early on Thursday and were provided with a room without waiting and we had a late checkout on Sunday and they held our bags without a problem. I really liked the poolside and beach side service, the pool area was nice. Gratuity is included in everything, but that happens all
Over south beach so no suprise. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay and would definitely return! I'm sure I'll be back in a few months.

• Stayed December 2013
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
So happy to read that you had a lovely stay with us! Thank you for sharing with us and others the details about your visit. I am excited that you will be back to visit with us in a few months.
Garden City, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Although some may view The James as being a little pricey, you do get what you pay for. It is a great hotel, food is great, service is great, and I love the security of no one being able to get upstairs to the rooms without a key! Access to the beach and all other SoBe shopping, restaurants (i.e. Lincoln Rd, Ocean Drive, Clubs...if that is your thing) is excellent, you can pretty much walk to them all. My only issue was finding out about the $150 per day incidentals hold that is placed on your credit card (especially with 2 rooms), but the issue was promptly rectified by being charged for one room only, to include a room upgrade - just keep this in mind when booking; the resort fee will be indicated, but ensure to play for the $150 per day incidentals hold (it is released after you check out, minus any charges you made to your room). Also, a ocean view (partial ocean view) is a VERY good one, so think about that before paying a little more for the ocean front view). Also, the beds and pillows are soooo comfortable, I dreaded going home to my bed!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the lovely comments regarding your stay. Your positive remarks are very appreciated and we certainly hope you will return and stay with us in the future.
Miami Beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had a perfect stay here. The staff went out of there way to accommodate us and the room was very clean. It wasn't the quietest place in the world but that's to be expected. We did ask for a quiet room and it was generally quiet. Loved the vibe!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

So glad to hear that you had a perfect stay with us! I hope that you will come and stay with us again on your next birthday celebration!
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

First off.. This hotel has tons of potential to get 5 circles. The rooms are very nice, amenities are all here (pool, beach, location, bars) and the hotel is very clean.

It loses 2 circles for service, or lack thereof. The staff tries real hard, are friendly and want to do a good job. I just don't think there is enough of them. Pool service is slow as slow can be, I could brew my own beers in the amount of time it takes to get one. The orders go in, and I just think the bar is very slow. If you think the pool is bad the beach is even worse.. Over an hour for drinks and food. You price everything at a premium, you need to provide premium service!

Housekeeping was completely unacceptable. Twice my room was not made up. The second time, I left the hotel at 10 and returned at 5:30p. I was told housekeeping goes til 6, so they could be on the way.. Really? I don't think so. You had ur chance the past 7 hours.

Overall, a nice property, but don't expect high end or mid level service, you're not going to find it here. Choose another hotel in the area if you expect good service. I know I will next time.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for telling us about your stay at The James Royal Palm. I was sorry to hear that some of your orders did not come in a timely manner. I am reviewing that with our F&B department and will certainly work to ensure that future guests do not experience the delays. Thank you again for telling us about your stay and I do hope you will try us again on your next visit.