“I can't decide how I feel about this hostel...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Posh South Beach Hostel

Posh South Beach Hostel
Sydney, Australia
“I can't decide how I feel about this hostel...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very mixed opinion. On the good side, the location is great, the pool and happy hour and laundry facilities are excellent. The hostel is very clean and brand new, the bed was comfortable and the showers were awesome.

On the bad side, I felt uncomfortable for most of my (very short - 2 days) stay because of how over-strict the staff and rules are. It seems they can't make up their mind on what they want the place to be - it's advertised as a hostel, but then they want you to treat it as an exclusive hotel. I found most of the staff to be surly and impolite, as if your very being there is annoying. You are handed a two page list of extensive, extremely anal and condescending rules when checking in, reminding guests what they can't do, and written as you would write rules for naughty schoolchildren. Managers snoop around at night to check on guests while they're sleeping: a couple I befriended in my room were threatened with being thrown out at 3am because they were - very quietly and respectfully - sleeping in the same bed. The manager had come into the room with a torch to discover this......?! The toilets are also absolutely tiny, if you need to sit down, your knees and legs poke out the front of the cubicle.

Overall an interesting experience, but I would advise the staff there to stop advertising the place as a hostel if they don't plan to allow any hostel-like behaviour. Hostels should be relaxed and enjoyable, whilst respecting everyone else around you. This place felt like you were staying with the Gestapo. They should treat guests as customers, not necessary evils that they wish to have obsessive control over. I'll let others make up their own minds...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank greekdan1987
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh South Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Good Evening geekdan1987,

We value all of our guests feedback, and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us. We are located in the heart of South Beach, just blocks from all the action! Our team work hard to make sure that the hotel is well kept. We do have to maintain strict rules here at Posh. We want to make sure that everyone is safe, and that everyone is able to enjoy their time spent with us. We have had incidents happen in the past, so we just want to make sure they don't happen again! We hope that all guests understand that the rules are for their best interest and for ours as well.

Katrine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed here for three nights during a weekend and I must say I did enjoy my stay. I'm kinda moving on from the whole hostel-scene so I was worried that I wouldn't get a lot of sleep but was I wrong!

This hostel is very modern and offers an on site pool area, design kitchen and good showers. The only downsides are the ridiculously large rooms(put up some cheap drywall to separate?) and the cramped toilets(needed to open the door to pull up my pants ;) ).

Overall I would recommend this motel for the facilities and the almost hotel-like service you get here. Everyone is friendly from cleaning ladies to front desk to waiters downstairs. Don't stay here If you plan on partying all night, stay here for a quite time to explore Miami.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MaartenVL
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh South Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Good Day MaartenVL,

We appreciate the time that you took to share your feedback with us, and all of our future guests! We are so glad to read that your time spent with us was a great one! We have a lovely rooftop pool for all of our guests to enjoy. We hope that you would come and stay with us again in the future!

Mamaroneck, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I just came back from 6 nights in Posh South Beach hostel. It was my first experience in a hostel and overall it was a good one.
The shuttle that picks you up from the airport is free, which is nice. The driver was very rude and he didn't drop us off at the hostel but at the street behind the hostel. The entrance of the hostel is very hard to find, some signs might make this hostel easier to find.
I got a top bed in the room with only 8 people. This is nice because it has an extra door to close so you have less noise from the other rooms and from the bathroom. The only noise there came from the loud music in the bar just outside the room. Not so nice if you want to go to bed early.
The drawer to put your belongings is big enough to fit tons of stuff, which is nice. Room and bathroom are also very very clean! The pool area is a very nice place to spend the day. Only annoying thing is that there's no shower to rinse off outside and no restrooms so you always have to go inside and downstairs to use the bathroom.
It's also nice that there's a fridge to put food in, so you can save on eating out if you want. I feel like a table or 2 outside might be nice. Breakfast is included (white and brown bread, jam, cream cheese and cereals) and there is enough for everyone! I feel like oatmeal might be a nice addition to the breakfast and not hard (just get the instant one).
A couple other improvements that could be made are:
- Reading light is not bright enough to actually read or see anything for that matter.
- If you're in the top bed there's no power outlet close to you, so hard to charge phone at night.
- There's also no space to put anything on the top bed (I like to have water, earplugs and my phone with me at night), so make sure your stuff doesn't fall off at night.

In general a good hostel that I would recommend, that could be even better with those few improvements.

Room Tip: Ask the small room (with only 8 beds).
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Good Afternoon Laura1947954,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! We offer a complimentary shuttle service from MIA. Unfortunately since there is construction going on Collins Ave, we are not allowed to load or unload guests on this street. The City of Miami Beach has set strict regulations that we must follow. We offer ear plugs for those guests who aren't heavy sleepers. We offer a complimentary continental breakfast for all of our guests. We also have a huge beautiful kitchen where you can cook your favorite home cooked meals.

Pinamar, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Thank you for everything. Pool is nice and also breakfast. I wasnt happy at first time taking a shower 'cause water was too cold but they fix that inmediatly. Bring your own shower stuff. Shampoo conditoner... george is amazing so funny and polite as much as juan they both were nice to me. The place is so clean i loved that. Its so quiet at night so you can sleep without any problem. They turn off lights at 10 pm thats nice. I was so lucky to stay there cause the other hostels i saw were too noisy so if you want a quite place go to posh.. i highly recommend this hostel

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank nadiacamposano
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh South Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Good Evening nadiacampsano,

There is nothing that we love to read more then wonderful 5 star feedback! We are delighted to read that you had such a great time here at Posh Hostel. Our rooftop pool is such a lovely place to kick back and enjoy the Florida sun! George is lovely and all of our guests love him! I will make sure that he is aware of your kind praise! Please come back and stay with us again soon! We would love to have you!

Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I would recommend this hostel to my friends because it had a nice location, it was clean, the staff was helpful if you ask for help or directions. You get what you see in the pictures. When you get there ask to stay in the area with just 4 bunk beds (8 beds) it is more quiet, less people. My bunk beds neighbors where guys and I didn't have a problem with that. If you want to have a nice breakfast then you have to be in the kitchen from 8 to 9 am so you get to eat everything. They only pour orange juice once. They were very strict. I saw when they kicked out a couple of people for breaking the rules. You feel sorry for them but you know you are safe and you are in a nice place not in a crazy or wild environment. If you follow the rules you will be okay. I think I got a lot for my money. I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Bunk beds on area with only 4 bunk beds (8 beds) are the best. Ask to stay there, that area is quiet...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh South Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Good Day Debiribu,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us. We are located in the heart of South Beach just blocks away from all the action. Our staff is always hard at work to make sure that everyone is having a great time here with us. We like to keep things safe here at Posh Hostel, so some of our rules seem strict but it's for everyone best interest. Please come back and stay with us again soon!

Mandeville, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Embarrassed us because of one dirty white sheet, and made us pay $30, something that could have been fixed with chlorine. The way they approached it was bad. They go through your sheets in a public area to see if you pooped on it while sleeping? Not nice, such a lack of respect.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Mariposina85
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh South Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Good Evening Mariposina85,

We value all of our guests feedback and we are terribly sorry that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! We strive on providing our guests with outstanding service. When we have tried to clean the sheets and the stains don't come out, we must charge the guests as we have to replace them. We do everything that we can to remove stains with heavy duty cleaners.

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Everything was fantastic as facility, cleanness, location, airport service, lovely staffs and more. It was one of best time I ever had. I felt like in a private apartment but it is cheap like a hostel. Would definitely recommend to someone visiting Miami because the price is also fairly low compared to other hostels. I would like to say thank them, especially manager George. He made my stay.

Room Tip: They give us pretty pool bag in a front when we go for beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh South Beach Hostel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Good Day miumiuyumi,

We absolutely love to read our guests wonderful 5 star feedback! Thank you for taking your time to share it with us! We are extremely glad to know that you enjoyed everything that we have to offer here at Posh Hostel! Our team is always hard at work making sure that the facility is spotless, and that our guests are having a great time! George is great and I will make sure that he is aware of your kind praise! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!