“Relaxed vibe, Top-notch specialty drinks in a hidden paradise”
Review of Broken Shaker Bar

Broken Shaker Bar
Ranked #2 of 99 Nightlife in Miami Beach
Reviewed 22 October 2013

On 6 occasions, I have visited this little hidden gem - Every experience has been delightful. I heard about the place from a friend of a friend of a sailor man, and was pleasantly surprised to experience the quality of drinks I received. The bar itself is located in the outdoor courtyard of the old Indian Creek Hotel, recently renovated into the Freehand Miami hostel. If you ever find yourself in the area, it's definitely a spot worth checking out...parking is a little tough, but it IS Miami Beach. Enjoy!

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I've been here about 6 different weekends (including yesterday) over the past two months, and my experience is always pleasant. Two areas of mention:

VIBE:
The bar is part of an art deco building turned Sobe Hostel (great rates btw if you can get them), with a relaxed vibe. The mix of people here is stunning - road trippers/ backpackers, UM students, and very trendy 30-somethings. Past 10pm the dresses get a lot shorter and the heels get a lot higher, but it's not trashy. The music never gets too loud. The outdoor area has cushioned patio chairs surrounding the pool, and white lights drape in a canopy style all throughout the brick-laid patio. Ladies, I'd advise against wearing stilettos, as heel will get caught in the space between the bricks. There's tiki torches sprinkled throughout. Most of the staff are happy to take multiple pictures of you too.

DRINKS;

Tasty. Unique. Goes down way too easy. And they're HEAVY with alcohol. The menu rotates - Don't get upset when you see the "artisan" drink menu is only 7 or 8 deep. Trust me, you don't need any more. Try the WHISKEY PUNCH. It's definitely punch, but it will get you VERY drunk. Careful. Men, ask for the old fashioned - they chip you an ice block right in front of you instead of using ice cubes. Love it. I'm a fan of the whiskey punch, rum punch, the key lime pie drink, and the one they have with gin. It's very strong.

You'll leave remembering the drinks were good, people were beautiful, and that's about it. Great starting point for the night and, considering it's South Beach and you're hard pressed to find a Vodka Cran for less than $15, this is a great place to enjoy some damn good concoctions.

P.S. If you arrive after 10pm note that your best best for parking is at/around 23rd street, and the Broken Shaker / Indian Creek Hotel is at 27th St. It's about a ten minute walk.

2  Thank msmit549
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Went here on a Friday night. The location is off the main strip of South Beach. As a local, I generally avoid the tourist areas on South Beach on the weekends like a zombie plague. The parking situation is not great here. There is street parking, but that fills up very quickly. There is also a parking lot a few blocks away, but same situation. The bar itself is cool. The outdoor seating around the pool is nice. The cocktails are excellent! I will give them that. The food is decent for a bar. Service is horrible. The night I was there, it seemed like there were two waitresses for the entire place but like 10 bus boys running around cleaning up. The ratio seems to be a bit off in that respect. I only saw the waitress around 3 times the entire night and I was there for several hours. I ended up just going to the bar to get drinks. All in all this place is a nice place to hang out, but they really need to step up their game if they want to make it on the beach.

1  Thank watermonkey305
Reviewed 17 July 2013

First, the positives. This bar is located in the courtyard of a hostel, formerly the Indian Creek Hotel, and its sprawling patio has the feel of old Miami Beach, with original coral pavers, and very tall Royal Palms.
The interior bar, though tiny, is dimly lit and combines both a tropical-Tiki bar and a speakeasy in feel, and it was ably staffed by two women bartenders shaking custom craft cocktails to a constant crush of hipsters on line. The negatives are that the drinks are very overpriced ( avg. $15) although they did have a couple of half priced specials, but the one I ordered was mainly fruit juices, bitters, and ice with just a little rum as far as I could tell. It is also a bit confusing table service vs. self service. I recommend it for people in their mid 20's to early 30's as an alternate, relaxing "chill" scene at the north end of South Beach.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

This is a review of the Broken Shaker bar at the Freehand Miami

I really wish I could give this place five stars. It's a cool place with a great vibe and you'll never get drinks like these anywhere else on the planet. You'll see several reviews with lots of great things about this place and they're all true. I'd really LOVE to give this place five stars.

I'd give my two interactions with Owner Gabriel Orta zero stars.
_____________
While I use this person's full name, I am referring to a service provider who is commonly identified by his full name on the bar's website, Facebook page, and several reviews by major media outlets.
_____________

My girl requested a "Long Island Iced Tea" type drink, so she was really excited to taste their creation, thinking she'd have a unique drink nothing like any regular Long Island anywhere else . We figured we'd tell them what she likes and let them work their magic.

I got up to the bar and Gabriel took my order. We knew he was one of the owners so I was looking forward to bringing back something special from a "master" drink maker. I ordered my beer and told Gabriel, "My girl likes Long Islands but she's leaving it all up to you." Gabriel answered, "We don't do Long Islands." I told him that's fine, that's the general taste of drinks she likes and she's trusting his skills. I was giving him free reign to make whatever he thought she'd like.

Based on every other drink we'd had from every other bartender there, that should have been all the information he'd need to make a fantastic cocktail. For whatever reason, Gabriel made the choice not to help me and made the process as difficult as possible.

He rolled his eyes and said, "What does she like, Vodka? Gin? What?" I tell him a vodka drink would be fine, and as far as the specifics go I'd leave them up to him. I mistakenly figured someone as skilled as Gabriel would appreciate the latitude to make a piece of liquid art but I was wrong. Annoyed, he says, "What? Vodka Cranberry?"

At this point it became clear to me that he had no interest in my satisfaction as a customer. I just wanted this horrible interaction to be over so I told him that was fine, he made the drink, and could see I was visibly displeased. He said, "What? I made it strong." as if somehow that would appease me.

I brought her drink back and YES she was disappointed. Did she get a strong drink? Yep. Just like you can get at any other bar any time. Could she have gotten an amazing concoction poured by the master himself? Yep.

WSVN Miami did a piece on the Broken Shaker in which Belkys Nerey wrote, "No generic drinks allowed here, mixologists Gabe and Elad have been stirring up drinks on Sobe for years and these two are serious about their craft."

True, unless Orta decides not to help you. I was a polite, paying customer, but for whatever reason (My clothes? My hair?) Gabriel Orta decided not to help me that night. A huge disappointment.

3  Thank Brian C