“Great American Italian Fare, but very expensive…..”
Review of Macaluso's

Macaluso's
Ranked #528 of 1,090 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner
Spokane, Washington
“Great American Italian Fare, but very expensive…..”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

To me, "Italian Food" means American-Italian-red sauce-old school-mafia-Frank Sinatra-spaghetti and meatballs type fare, not the "Italy-Italian" food that has become more prominent as I get older. I live part of the year in South Beach and this is my favorite restaurant almost anywhere but every time I leave I can't believe how expensive it is. I don't mind paying top dollar but my only beef with this restaurant is the prices aren't listed anywhere. No menu. Very good service. The wait staff verbally give you the menu without prices. (You may not even know that it is cheaper to get Chianti by the glass than buy one of the expensive bottles of wine on the menu…there is almost no affordable wines by the bottle). Now that my complaints are over I can tell you the rest of the place is awesome.

The service is great. The owner obviously comes from an Italian American grandma gave me these awesome recipes and he is true to them. Meatballs are as good as anywhere. Shrimp Sinatra is delicious (don't get it if you don't like spicy). Salads delicious. Buffalo Mozzarella with Tomato appetizer was delicious (but 21 dollars for it!!!) Side of Marinara with my entree (extra 6 dollars!)

The tray of pasta with various entrees (truly all are amazing)…..Lobster tail in nice pieces with pasta, peas and marinara…..Sausage and Peppers…..home made ravioli…..baked rigatoni with Chicken Parmesan……what you can be guaranteed of is that every dish is time and true tested and very tasty.

The only surprise of the meal is at the end when the prices are finally revealed. This is a place you can go to if someone else is paying. But to be a regular at this place means going several times and trying to figure out how not to spend 100.00 per person before tip.

I will be back when my craving for marinara, meatball and spice returns and when I can afford to eat there again…...

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank HeyScottWA

powell
“Amazing service, great food”
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Hidden gem in a strip mall next to a dry cleaner.
No menu- server describes everything. Pretty expensive for Italian, but worth it! Just a really cool experience and some of the best Italian we've ever had, and we go to Italy 5-6 times a year.

Visited January 2014
miami
“Rude staff!!!”
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Would not put two tables together for a party of seven.
Owner woyld not even come out of the kitchen to discuss this..we walked out!!

9 Thank alexbis1
Miami, Florida
“Market side for lunch”
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

This place has great meatballs. We prefer the lunch time at the market next door to the Resturant. Downsized menu but has many of the popular items on the lunch menu. I have never eaten in the Resturant side so I don't know how to compare Again it's good for us and lunch time.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Feels like home”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We arrived around 7pm, and there were a few tables inside. As we waited for our appetizer (delicious meatballs and Malcaluso salad) a few more people came in. It seemed like they were regulars because they seemed to know one another. You can always tell a place is good when the locals eat there!
After our appetizer we each had an entree which consisted of Veal Parm, Chicken Parm, Handmade Cheese Ravioli and their lobster pasta special. Everything was delicious.
We chose this restaurant because of a family recommendation, but above all the Facebook photos of the SPOTLESS kitchen really sold the place. (As well as the other stellar recommendations). Job well done. We had a great time. Our server Dennis was great as well. Thanks for a great meal! It really felt like home where we operate our own Italian restaurant in Virginia. We will be back with the whole family next time!

• Visited August 2013