“Good base of operation - Not For Families”
Review of Dorset Hotel

Dorset Hotel
Ranked #159 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Highland Village, Texas
“Good base of operation - Not For Families”
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I stayed at the Dorset (Hotel Catalina) for three nights in Feb 2010. It sits just across the street from the Hotel Delano and other 700/night properties. It is a very artsy, hip, place with a European flair. The hotel is divided into the Catalina and the Dorset (two different buildings). The Dorset is an upgrade and is where the Kung Fu Kitchen is as well as a great bar. The night life is very decent here with 20 and 30 somethings dressed very chic sampling sushi and other great food. When you walk in and out of your room, you basically walk through the restaurant and bar to get to Collins.

This hotel is not on the beach but is right across the street. They have a beach operation in that you can reserve chairs and umbrellas etc. Service is pretty good but not great. Staff was full of lots of pretty 20 year olds that were fairly well trained but more interested in the "scene' than anything else. All told, anything I write here will pale in comparison to the location. This place is freaking dead on located right where you want across from the Delano but you are paying 275-300 vs. 700+ just across the street.

Don't expect to sleep alot and the wireless was hit and miss. The Kung Fu Kitchen rocks until 1am so ask for a room towards the back of the hotel and the sound won't be a problem. Gratuity is included on all restaurant and bar bills so look at your bill carefully so you don't over tip.

If you are a hip, swinging couple, a solo, or gay this is your hotel. If you are AARP members and can't speak hip, don't stay here, these whipper snappers won't be your cup of tea. If you're a big time business traveler and need a full scale business hotel, pass on this one. If you aren't sure and are adventurous, give this a try, I thought it was fun and near the action.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank travelerman12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
DC
Reviewed 21 October 2009

This hotel reminded me of the industries decribed in the book 'Gomorra.' Customer service is completely lacking, bartenders keep barking at customers to 'remember' them. Staff stated that many had been recently and morale was plummeting. Brunch included many substitutions, like Aunt Jemima syrup instead of honey, raisins instead of cherries as described on the menu...then $6 was charged for milk to add to the granola.

Room service showed charges for items I never touched or consumed, the amount still on my credit card. Towels were frequently not replaced.

Holes in the shower tiles looked like it had been kicked in, the A/C sounded like a jet engine. The 'view' from the small window was of a dark, grey alley where kitchen staff and drunks urinate. Wallpaper was peeling and showed signs of wear, particularly where the bed's headboard had rubbed against the wall from so much use.

The area is rundown, several vacant and rotting properties surround the Catalina. I had to walk over a homeless, strung-out woman to get to my car, parked just around the block. The hotel charges over $30 for valet/day.

They also extort hotel fees from guests that have inflated to three times the amounts described in recent reviews. The fees aren't outlined clearly on any sites including priceline where I booked because the rate was competitive before these insane fees were added.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank ShrewdTraveler

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Vermont
Reviewed 26 March 2008

Very dark hallways, even in the middle of the day. No place for sunglasses!
Room was clean, sparsley furnished but quite dark.
Lounge stays open until 4 and is very loud.
Not impressed with the pools at any of their 3 hotels. Wouldn't even consider using them.
Food and drinks more expensive than many places in town.
Probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank goochave
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 December 2007

MINuSES: No one tells you until you arrive: THIS is not a regular hotel. You CAN and must check-in ONLY at the hotel next door. That was OK for me except that it was raining and I didn't want to pull my luggage from building to building and back again.

Many inconveniences:
1) No one at my hotel on-site to deal with problems.
2) I booked with Hotwire (All inclusive of taxes, etc.) BUT then was charged AGAIN for ALL room fees 482.00 PLUS a separate RESORT FEE, 15Per day . Two months later I'm still fighting this double charge. I'm glad I paid with AMEX.
3) The hotel is supposed to be "Three Star": I think NOT; shower handles come off in your hand, hooks on the wall are unattached, (I stayed for 5 days and neither problem was fixed), TOO MANY PROBLEMS TO MENTION, these are a few: no paper and pen by the phone, light bulbs were burnt out and not replaced, the dark wood floor was sticky with soap scum. My room was a darkened cave...EVEN WITH ALL lights on. I guess the few lights were only meant for "ambiance".
4) Everything about the room was "IKEA tech, sleek, and chi-chi" BUT it was not quality NOR was it functional. In addition, the shower water pressure was like being pee'd upon.
5) No one at the "main desk" knew how to connect me with their wireless internet; I found out I was charged 15USD PER DAY for the use. Next day when I complained about no ability to access the internet, I WAS THEN TOLD "you are in the 'Business Hotel' so your internet usage is FREE", and THEN was given the correct password.

PLUSES: "Kung Fu Chu's" Chinese/Japanese Sushi/Dim Sum Bar is GREAT food (expensive, but so is everything in SOBE) The restaurant/bar is the front lobby of the hotel. The Lobby and front area is VERY SOBE: LOUD MUSIC with lots of people because this group of three Hotels called, "Catalina Group" is owned by well-connected Miami people.

I WOULD go to eat and drink at Kung Fu Chu's but I'd NEVER stay at this hotel again even though all the staff were very friendly. TOO MANY PROBLEMS with the rooms.

Stayed November 2007
Brooklyn
Reviewed 5 October 2007

The hotel was fine. Rooms were sparse but clean, and the bed was great. Location can't be beat. Watch out for the "free" club passes. We were told that we would have a choice of clubs each night, but this was not the case. The worst part was that when you get to the club they tell you that, whoops it's not actually free, just a little discount. Front desk was unhelpful. Free drinks happy hour from 7-8 was fun, go next door to the Maxine (also owned by Catalina) for a slightly cooler vibe.

• Liked — Temper-pedic mattress, location, free happy hour
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
Phoenix
Reviewed 25 September 2007

I had a great time at the Dorset. I was there for Winter Music Conference. The staff was very courteous and helpful with my many requests. They gave us a corner room on the first floor so that we wouldn't disturb the other guests. The rooms were clean and simply decorated. The breakfast was sufficient, it wasn't the embassy suites but it was enough to stiffle a hang over. Definately a good deal for the money, I think we paid around $220 per night.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — i wish the bathroom had a bigger sink
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
chicago,illinois
Reviewed 24 September 2007

I went to the Dorset with my boyfriend and we had an enjoyable stay. The room was nice and clean. I believe they are remodeling the Dorset since it is now becoming the Catalina Hotel. So even though we paid for the Dorset, we got the same perks as paying for the Catalina which was a plus. There is no carpet in the rooms which was also a plus since we didn't have to guess what we were stepping on:) The bathroom is TINY! Because of this, I would not recommend this if it will just be women in the room....unless you are a no frills kinda person. The workers are very helpful. I forgot a piece of jewelry in my room. They found it and mailed it to me with no extra charge:) The location is half a block from the beach...perfect location! I really don't have any complaints about this hotel. Remember, the Catalina charges $5 a day.....its a mystery charge that is stated on the wall by the receptionist.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Tiny bathroom
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple