“Nice staff, clean, but uncomfy beds”
Review of SoBe Hostel

SoBe Hostel
Spring, Texas
“Nice staff, clean, but uncomfy beds”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights, here are the pros and cons:

Pros: friendly staff, clean sheets,blanket, and towels whenever you want to change them out, free breakfast(although it was slightly dry bagels, toppings, banana, and oranges and coffee every day), excellent location if you want to go to the beach (literally 3 blocks), not loud (I am a light sleeper and the noise wasn't bad, occasional people talking in the halls but no yelling or anything. They also provide free earplugs), clean kitchen, shuttle service is $15 (or they can call you a cab to the airport, they say you get a special rate of $34 if you get it thru them), the cleaning staff was nice, and emptied room trash every day.

The water in the showers was hot if you didn't take it during peak times (morning basically). Each room has an air conditioner.

And, I felt very safe. As a woman traveling solo, I liked that you need a key card to get into the bathroom as well as the dorm area, as well as your room. It felt like a safe area to be at night as there were a ton if tourists walking around and a fair amount of police.

And it seemed like all the staff spoke Spanish very well. AND ITS RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO AMAZING FISH TACOS: My Ceviche is literally right next to it and has buy one get one tacos on weekdays btwn 4-6pm. So good.

Cons: the beds were extremely uncomfortable. I could feel springs thru the fabric of the mattress. I thought I maybe needed to turn it over, but it's the same on the other side. I could not sleep very well on them at all. It was kind of the same with the pillows- not very comfy. Sobe hostel, you are so awesome, but PLEASE CHANGE YOUR MATTRESSES!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Sgni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I've stayed in many a hostel from Santiago to Frankfurt. I like SoBe. Great location on the bus line, friendly staff, and respectful guests. The airport express bus drops you off in front of the hostel and only costs 2.65. Return to the airport is the same. I'll stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Nice staff. Great Location,South Of Fifth (Street), SOBE. I wish they would change the front foyer back like it was, where the middle had stairs down to the Bar, giving it an Larger appearance with greater appeal to the front, but now the black wall is the first thing you see when you walk in, and first impression I would say, is important. However, SOBE, overall, is very worth the stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The staff was friendly and helpful and the hostel is in a very good location. South Beach is the artsy, downtownish area of Miami. Clubs and restaurants are a 5min walk away and so is the beach. The hostel is nicely situated since it's not right in the middle of the hubbub, but it's close enough to be very convenient. The hostel itself is typical, nothing fancy and I'd recommend they update not only their bathrooms but their mattresses as well. That said, it's great to have AC and lockers. While it's not a 4-star hotel, it's not disgusting either. For the location and basic amenities normally to be expected, it's a decent deal.

Room Tip: Miami is a bit of a weird city and the customers of hostels generally tend to be a little mixed. Unl...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Lahti, Finland
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks in February. Staff is very nice, location is great, atmosphere is good! Rooms and toilets are a bit small though but you can live with that. Breakfast is ok.

I would recommend this hostel!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Worst Hostel Ever! First we booked 7 days and then we changed it from 7 to 2 days before 48 houre (actually 4 days before) when you can do it without get charged. They took the 10 % deposit money from my card for the 7 days booking and then for the 2 days booking too, and then we payd a lot more. Our rommates were two 80+ married couple, who where in the room all the time, it was only two bankbad,we had to sleep above them, the bads were mooving like a ship not mention it was so uncomfortable, they where in the room all the time,we had to stay quiet most of the time because they were sleeping. So everything was just bed, and we were looking forward to move out, and we were so glad we didn't have to stay all 7 days it would have been a nightmare.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dORA k
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I had a booking for one night at the South Beach Hostel on the day of the snow storm in Washington DC. When I arrived at the airport that morning I discovered that the airport was closed and that my flight to Miami had been cancelled. I immediately notified the hostel (this was early in the morning) so that they could sell my bed that night to someone else but at the time received no response. I ended up sleeping horribly on the floor of an airport that night, but just to add insult to injury I found out a few days later that the hostel had charged my credit card for the accommodation which I never used due to circumstances completely beyond my control. There is absolutely nothing more I could have done in this situation.

If I ever do go back to Miami I will NOT be staying with a hostel which is so concerned with making a profit at the expense of showing a little bit of compassion and understanding towards their guests.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo