“Pretty Good Experience”
Review of SoBe Hostel

SoBe Hostel
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Spring Break stay:
Pros: Great location near beach/nightlife, good for partiers, nice staff
Cons: tiny cramped rooms, small bathrooms (but its a hostel so you get what you pay for)
-Hostel organizes club events... Good for the most part, but promoter named Maddy is VERY rude!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,347)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was my first real experience at a hostel. I wasn't expecting much for around $35 a day but I believe I got my money's worth. The staff was overall pretty good. Jerry (I believe that was his name) was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were small and there was no place to put my giant suitcase except for near the door. There were lockers under the bunk beds (but I didn't really need it). The location was awesome because it was only a few blocks from the beach and all the bars. The only downside was probably the breakfast (a lousy bagel, fruit and some kind of powdered OJ). I came down at 9:50 (breakfast ends at 10) and the guy didn't want to serve me. The other problem I and a couple other people had, was checking in with a state ID. I don't have a license or state ID, I just use my passport for everything. The hostel said they "needed proof that I was returning home," which made no sense to me but luckily I had my plane ticket receipt so I used that. Also be prepared to hear music bumping until around 4am. The best part was my awesome roommates. I traveled alone but I made the most amazing friends from all over the world. I was surprised we all got along very well. To sum it up I would definitely stay her again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I found sobe hostel a nice place.. Very confortable... But the rooms are too small... 5 minutes from the beach... Amazing!! There are buses to go everywhere.. Many shops and restaurants... I liked!!!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Staff was great, location was pretty good and very safe. It was very close to the ocean and a short distance from restaurants and bars/clubs. It was about a 1.5 mile hike to get to Lincoln street where the best shopping was. The beds weren't the best and it was kind of loud if you wanted to go to bed before 12 am. This was my first hostel experience and I can honestly say it was awesome. We are already planning out trip back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed here with a group of friends for a couple of nights - the communal lounge area, checkin area and bar are a modern facade (and admittedly pretty decent) to what are aging rooms. The rooms are cramped with no storage (just a few hooks) - also the air conditioning is not controlled from within the room so temperature can change from evening to evening.

This hostel is by no measures terrible, but when compared to other hotels I have stayed around the world (for cheaper) it compares as poor - I think it does just enough to get by.

Wifi is unreliable and the breakfast isn't worth getting up for.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank rozzerr
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We are old timers and wanted a cheaper South Beach experience. SOBE Hostel was just fine for us and we found the staff welcoming in spite of our ancient ages! Our room was towards the back and we were not bothered by noise at all. We slept fine and enjoyed breakfast at the NewsCafe which we walked to. Then we went strolling on the promenade and had fun looking at all the beautiful people and sights. We returned to the hostel about 11:45 for noon check out. We were thrilled to find that they would keep our luggage in the luggage room for the rest of the day free of charge! The only thing a bit inconvenient was that we got up at 8:00 and found the bathroom being cleaned (women's), but the cleaning woman let us in to go! Great over all experience.

Room Tip: If you don't want noise just get a room towards the back.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights, here are the pros and cons:

Pros: friendly staff, clean sheets,blanket, and towels whenever you want to change them out, free breakfast(although it was slightly dry bagels, toppings, banana, and oranges and coffee every day), excellent location if you want to go to the beach (literally 3 blocks), not loud (I am a light sleeper and the noise wasn't bad, occasional people talking in the halls but no yelling or anything. They also provide free earplugs), clean kitchen, shuttle service is $15 (or they can call you a cab to the airport, they say you get a special rate of $34 if you get it thru them), the cleaning staff was nice, and emptied room trash every day.

The water in the showers was hot if you didn't take it during peak times (morning basically). Each room has an air conditioner.

And, I felt very safe. As a woman traveling solo, I liked that you need a key card to get into the bathroom as well as the dorm area, as well as your room. It felt like a safe area to be at night as there were a ton if tourists walking around and a fair amount of police.

And it seemed like all the staff spoke Spanish very well. AND ITS RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO AMAZING FISH TACOS: My Ceviche is literally right next to it and has buy one get one tacos on weekdays btwn 4-6pm. So good.

Cons: the beds were extremely uncomfortable. I could feel springs thru the fabric of the mattress. I thought I maybe needed to turn it over, but it's the same on the other side. I could not sleep very well on them at all. It was kind of the same with the pillows- not very comfy. Sobe hostel, you are so awesome, but PLEASE CHANGE YOUR MATTRESSES!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014