“Atmospheric restaurant”

A Fish Called Avalon
Reserve with OpenTable
A Fish Called Avalon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 1,139 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Price range: US$21 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Cross street: 7th
Description: Overlooking Ocean Drive from the veranda of the Avalon Hotel is the 25 year old, acclaimed restaurant, A fish Called Avalon. Cuisine features local seafood prepared with a sensuous, tropical flair. An extensive wine reserve and full service bar naturally compliment our great food.
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Recommeded by our concierge. Walking distancec from The Hotel. We ate inside as it was cooler. Good menus. We shared a starter of scallops, followed by mains of risotto and snapper with a bottle of rose wine. All cooked and presented well. Quite expensive, ($140) but this is Miami!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,587)

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I loved the food and service. Our waiter was really good. The food isn't cheap but well worth it. Fish was excellent. We sat inside. Very romantic. I would go back.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Lobster bisque was excellent and not too heavy. Seat outside if possible to capture the Miami Beach scene.

Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

I did some research before deciding where we should have dinner while vacationing in South Beach. We decided on A Fish Called Avalon one night. Even though we knew we were headed here, we appreciated not being stalked with their menu as we approached the restaurant (unlike the rest of the restaurants on the strip). We arrived without a reservation and were seated instantly at an outdoor dining table (which we wanted).

Our server was Orlando and he was excellent. He had tons of personality, was polite and friendly, kept our drinks full and was patient was we looked over the menu. We decided to split an appetizer, a salad and an entree. He offered to split everything on separate plates for us which was fantastic so we didn't have to ration it out once it arrived at the table.

First of all, they serve warm, toasty bread with butter and fresh hummus. The butter was melty from the heat so it spread on the bread nice and evenly! The hummus was some of the best I've ever had. Delicious!

Appetizer: Bang Bang Shrimp- I was expecting something similar to Bonefish Grill's shrimp. It was nothing like theirs but it was very delicious. Only three shrimp are served, however.

Salad: Chopped Greek Salad. Again, very yummy! Nice dressing to salad ratio. Fresh feta. Lots of peppers. Yum.

Entree: Two Whole Lobsters. This is where the train went off the track. I guess we should have known that two whole lobsters for $42.00 was too good to be true. I am not exaggerating when I say it was gross. The worst lobster we've ever had in our lives. And we are lobster girls! It was so bad that we don't know if we'll ever be compelled to eat lobster again. The melted butter couldn't even save it...and that wasn't a tasty dipping sauce, either. I couldn't even order seafood for the rest of the trip because I was so grossed out. I feel bad being so harsh because it was one of the better meals we had on our trip (aside from the lobster) but it was just so, so bad. I feel like maybe it wasn't fresh or just simply wasn't good anymore and shouldn't have been served. The server didn't even notice we hated it because we had two other people taking care of us while he was at a large table that was just seated. (Not his fault, I just think maybe he would have noticed or commented when he saw we didn't eat any of it).

Dessert: I needed dessert IMMEDIATELY to get the nasty ocean taste out of my mouth. We split the key lime pie. It was good. Very tart. Nice combination with a raspberry sauce that accompanied it.

Overall I enjoyed this restaurant. Like I said, I believe that it's the best, classiest restaurant on the strip...a shining star amongst a bunch of tourist traps. It still had a prime spot for people watching but had better ambiance and better food. There was great team work and when our server was busy, other people helped us so we weren't waiting. I would definitely return, I would just stay far away from the lobster!

1  Thank Lovezubrus
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Please tell your staff to let people take their time to finish their drinks before removing as well as the food. We were completely rushed through the entire meal, people (albeit smiling and very nice) constantly at the table picking up things---I felt like I was in a circus or on a swirling dance floor. I looked over at one point to my friend as a waiter had her mojito in his hand and she was still drinking from the straw--not kidding and I so wish I were; I wanted this to be a great place and was so excited to dine here. I am hesitant to write a negative review, but feel compelled to say something. The food was adequate, and with entrees for 4, one side, with one starter of an order of 12 oysters, a not expensive bottle of wine with 2 mojitos, our bill was well over $400.