“Dog Friendly! Great Value, Lovely Staff!”

Sanctuary South Beach
Ranked #150 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

Checked in for a 2 night stay March 2012 and was nicely surprised. Valet is across the street but they brought all of our bags in immediately. My miniature pinscher Ms. Moneypenny also felt right at home. Spacious rooms with modern living area and kitchen made it easy to enjoy an in room martini. Mp escaped into the dining room one night but everyone was very understanding. Lol fantastic restaurant by the way right in hotel. At least 5 different types of ceviche. Beds were comfy. Bathtub very deep took a while to fill but really enjoyed it after some hard shopping. Nice quiet street felt safe for walking Mp at any time. Great location, just few minutes to everything we wanted. Continental breakfast was included, good selection! Also came few min late to breakfast one day and lovely staff person made me a tray to take to our room! Bar delivered drinks and snacks to rooftop pool for happy hour no problem. That day we had it all to ourselves. Love this place! Will return in future. Thank you Sanctuary!!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Binla
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback from your recent stay at the Sanctuary South Beach. We appreciate all feedback so we can continue to improve our guest's experiences. I am glad our staff was accommodating and that you were able to take advantage of our prime location in south beach. We look forward to having you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

My initial reaction to this hotel was positive. Yes, it is a little quirky that you enter through the restaurant, but the location is great (close to Delano, Shore Club, etc) and on a quiet street. While the entrance to the hotel area is a little dark and a tad grungy (a trend that continues throughout), the room itself is quite large. I liked that it one large flat screen TV (though no HD programming) and other smaller TV in the bedroom. The living area also included a fairly functions mini kitchen where we were able to keep our drinks cold.

What you will quickly notice upon inspecting the rooms (and property throughout) is that this hotel is not just dated but tired - - clearly in need of TLC. The grout in the bathrooms are moldy, the windows are covered in paint spatter, the TP holder was hanging on for dear life and the list goes on.

A few things that really moved this hotel form "Questionable" to "Avoid" were:

- Our hotel room was skipped by room service. Upon check-out, the Ast. Manager suggested that maybe we had told them not to clear or had put the DND signup. Total BS.
- The pillow was over stuffed and hard, too much so for me to sleep on and I actually just slept with my head on the mattress. My request for a replacement was never addressed, not even a phone call to let me know there were no other options.
- Service: While one Ast. GM really did try to help, was apologetic and did try to compensate us for our problems, our experience with the rest of the statf was anything but helpful / friendly.
- When checking out, another couple came down to complain of a "massive leak" (it was a rainstorm). The Ast. GM immediately offered to discount one of their nights, as they had done with us. It became clear that this hotel's M.O. is to provide a discount when things go wrong (which I can assume is frequent) as opposed to just dealing with the root problems.

Overall: This hotel could be a fantastic destination hotel with some TLC and staff training/replacements. But, under the current circumstances, I suggest avoiding this one.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BrentLooney
omartorell, General Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Thank you Brent for your recent review of Sanctuary South Beach. We apologies for some of the issues you had concerning your request and your room, I have brought of these issues with the corresponding departments in order to avoid this again. As for the leak, this was an isolated incident, though this has now been fixed and will no longer effect operations. I hope you will join us again in the future; in fact, we would love to extend a preferred rate as a repeat guest. Please contact me directly at omartorell@meninhotels.com.

Regards,
Oscar

Reviewed 1 May 2012

We got a suit for just over 120/night, which was good, the room was clean and lots of space. It was handy to have a small kitchen and sitting area. The shower was clean and everything worked. It was somewhat strange the set up of the hotel, all the doors to the hall way are glass so it doesn't feel as private as I would have liked and too many people staying there left their blinds open yuck. The resturant looked nice although we didn't eat there. The roof top pool is not really welcoming as they offer pool side dinning, so didn't really want to jump into the pool while a table of 8 was enjoying their meal. The location was nice and although there is a lot of construction going on around the hotel it was quite and we felt safe. I would stay and recommand to friends, but warn them.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We went down to SOBE for a girls trip, thinking that we'd get a bargain hotel for the low price. We arrived to find a swanky boutique hotel that offered us a spacious clean suite. Only a block away from the beach and two blocks from shopping, what a perfect location.

I went down to get breakfast, and wanted to bring some back up to the room. Without having to ask, I was offered a tray and the clerk jumped up to get the elevator for me. The breakfast was what I'd expect for continental. Coffee, juice, pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc. All of it was very fresh.

On our second night, we called down to get a taxi and not only were we taken care of on that front, we were given tips on where to go off the beach area. Ivan even made sure (two days in advance) that we'd have a ride to the airport when we left.

When the time came to head home, our ride was there right on schedule, didn't even have to call.

Definitely felt like we got the VIP treatment without the VIP price. I will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: The couch folds down to a comfortable twin sized bed.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

Juan Gomez & the rest of the staff were very helpful, the location is great, the food was excellent & the suites are perfect to rest, relax, do work! I will stay there as long as they have vacancies!

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. Our staff is trained to go above and beyond to accommodate our guests. I'm glad you were satisfied with your stay and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed at the The Sanctuary Feb. 19 - 21, 2012. It faired as well as all the negative reviews that I had read. We had "the room" (or one of many) with the broken bathroom door handle. The location was awesome. The absolute worse thing was the odor! The whole place stunk. I thought it was a sewar smell or dead animal smell but my husband thought it was dampness and mold. Either way it was awful. There was a constant noise overhead in our room as well, we were on the top floor. It sounded like a washer machine in it's spin cycle when the clothes are not centered and it bangs and clashes. It was loud and kept me awake, smelling the awful smell. We did eat at the restaurant but only because we could get a table outside, away from the smell. The restaurant for an evening dinner was very good. Bottom line, we saved about $100.00 per night over the other places I was looking at - It was not worth it! I'll definitely spend more next time.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan210662
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I went with a group of friends and family to South Beach. We initially stayed at the Richmond and then my husband and I extended our stay and for the remainder of the days we stayed at the Sanctuary. This is a newly renovated property. The room itself was great. We had a small kitchenette which had a beverage fridge and microwave, sink and cupboards. There was a leather-ish couch in the sitting area that converts to a futon. This was handy when I had my cousin stay with us for 1 night. Plus, we were happy to bring in our own snacks and drinks. There were little things that reminded me that it is an older property....the hot water took a really long time on a couple of occasions to warm up. The balcony from our bedroom had chairs on which were pretty much destroyed, but because it faced another building, we never went out there. And the a/c unit roared like an airplane taking off every time it went on.
I was a little disappointed with the pool area. From the pictures its looked like a decent sized pool. When we got there and went exploring the pool and pool area, it was actually very small. In fact it was only 2 1/2 feet at the deepest. So we only spent a couple hours there one night and there was only one other couple.
The service at the hotel was fantastic! Juan was amazing! He checked us in as soon as he could and helped us on the day we left (which was very early) to get a cab and some breakfast to go.
The restaurant OLA was incredible! Possibly one of the best Ive eaten at in SOBE. The Peruvian Ceviche is to die for. Dont miss the opportunity to dine here - the service is very good as well!
The location of the hotel is ideal. Walking distance to Lincoln Rd and Ocean Drive.
The only thing I was missing was being on the beach. Unfortunatley, we didnt hear until the second last day that we have access to the Shelborne which is right on the beach because they are owned by the same company. It would have been great if we were told this in the beginning. We did go to the Shelborne and use their facilities one day. We had access to lounge chairs, umbrellas and waiter service right on the beach - it was great!
All in all it was a great place to stay if youre not fussy travellers. We were comfortable and liked the modern, minimalistic feel. The little hiccups wont deter us from coming back here again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor. It can get quite noisy from the Ola crowd. Plus the restaurant patro...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
omartorell, General Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear Guest, thank your review. Indeed our staff is what makes our hotel such a unique property, as we are a boutique property we are able to treat every guest like family with the individual attention you deserve. As for your experience at Ola, I could not agree with you more, I have been addicted since my first meal with no end to this addiction in sight. I will be sure to pass on your point about access to our sister property at the Shelborne to our staff, I apologize for this as it should have been relayed to you at check in. We would love to have you back again in the near future. Do not hesitate to reach out to me so I may handle your reservation personally. omartorell@meninhotels.com

Warm regards,