“I loved this cruise!!! Most relaxing vacation I've ever had!”

Cruise & Tours Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Cruise & Tours is one of South Florida's largest Tour companies, located in the heart of South Beach, we offer City tours, Everglades Tours, Key West Tours, as well as day trip to the Bahamas.
mandeville, la
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“I loved this cruise!!! Most relaxing vacation I've ever had!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was my first cruise since my children were small, so I think I really enjoyed just being able to relax and do what I want. We usually take two-week long driving vacations and really never just relax. I loved the ship. The staff was wonderful. I never felt like a second-class citizen to the Haven people. I felt like I paid a very decent price for what I got.

I loved the shows, but wish there would have been more. We really got involved in the game shows and other little fun things that the cruise director and his staff led. It really made a difference, I think. The parties outside on the deck were fabulous and fun. I haven't stayed up that late or danced so much in a long time!

We sons did not do the water slides after the first day because the seams hurt them. The other kids seemed to like them because the lines were always pretty long. My youngest son (16) did love the ropes course. The mini golf was just okay.

Our biggest problem was the pool situation. Our 16 yr old could not spend the days at the pool with the rest of us, which messed up our trip since this is where we spent the most time. There wasn't really any lounge chairs by the kids pool and no music or activities, so he never swam or laid out the entire week. We adults loved the pool entertainment and atmosphere. The pina coladas from the pool bar were delicious!

The food was not that great. Some was good, some was bad but none of it was delicious except the prime rib. The good thing about it was that if you didn't like your meal in the restaurants, you could usually go find something decent in the Garden Cafe Buffet later. The variety was good. Overall I was very disappointed. I remember the food on the Carnival cruise I took about 15 yrs ago being much better (of course that was a long time ago, so maybe all cruise food has changed).

I loved our balcony cabin. Although small, the four of us did not feel too cramped the entire 7 days. I think having the balcony made all the difference in the world. I really enjoyed reading on the balcony and also ordering coffee and croissants early in the morning to eat out there!

Our steward was wonderful but we too were a little bothered by the fact that these workers work on the ship for 9 months before they get 2 months off to go home to see their families. I know they probably make a much better living doing this, but I just can't imagine going that long without seeing my spouse and children.

I loved the islands we visited and was well-pleased with the ease of getting on and off the ship and finding our excursions. I loved the cold towels and drinks the crew handed out on our way back - much appreciated. They really made each shore day a festive occasion.

I will definately do another Norwegian cruise and would recommend this one to anyone. Like I said, I had some complaints and comments, but was extremely pleased based on the reasonable price I paid!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank katrinabrain

Salt Lake City, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“"Cruise Like a Norwegian" on the Getaway, No Thanks.....”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I didn’t know how to “Cruise like a Norwegian” before boarding the Getaway. We have been on many, many different cruises of different companies Royal, Celebrity, Princess, and Carnival. If my first experience was “Cruising like a Norwegian”, then NCL has made a bad first impression.
Ahhhhh… were to start?

Boarding process was fairly well organized. Once aboard, we went to our cabin to unpack and then explore the ship before the rest of the family arrived. I was surprised at the small size of the balcony cabin. Not much balcony space and the furniture layout could have been better thought out. Two outlets per room in this day and age, is not enough. The bed was comfortable and our room steward was very friendly and attentive to our needs. The cabin was livable for four people for seven days.

We decided to go to the Garden Café for lunch. The first thing that I noticed was how narrow the walking aisles were around the buffet. The kitchen was in the center of a large horse shoe walkway. I was thinking it was more like a horseshoe trough. You constantly had to dodge people going all different directions to get your food and find a table. Not designed for five thousand clients. An open buffet venue would have been much more appeasing and logical. The selections of food items repeated themselves every 50 feet. The coffee was terrible in the Garden Café. We only ate in there for breakfast. I have to mention this. Every once in a while my wife and I got this scent wondering around the buffet that was absolutely putrid. I don’t know if it was a cross scent of a multitude of different food stuffs or if it was something that was spoiled. I truly did not want to eat anything after smelling that. This has never happened on any of the other cruises I have been on.

The Tropicana dining room was average overall. The restaurant waiters were not very friendly at times. I suppose it is different now because of the fact that they are not serving the same parties every night for a gratuity and they want you to go to the specialty restaurants instead. They did however make an effort to bring my daughters a graduation cake on the last night of the cruise which was a nice touch. We tried “The Oceans” specialty restaurant one night. The service was excellent and the food was above average. The main course was how I remembered the main dining room meals used to be on cruises past.

Let’s go outside now. Let me try to describe the deck situation for everyone on the “at sea” days. If you did not wake up at the crack of O’dark thirty in the morning and save a chair, good luck finding one. They were not only hard to find, but placed so close together that you had to crawl on to them from the bottom to get in them (Not very easy for our senior folks on the cruise). The pools were small. One pool for the four thousand adults that were three deep around the pool, and one pool for the five hundred kids. Not very good for those of us who just want to relax in a sun chair and get in the pool to cool off every now and then unless you wanted to pay extra for the spa area at $45 each per day. No thanks….

The rope course and water slides were fun and a new twist venue for the first two days at sea and then the kids were bored of them. But a nice design none the less. Well done NCL!

The shows were very entertaining. We all loved the “Burn the Floor” show. The dancers were very talented and made the show go by very fast. NCL directors created and made a great selection of music, actors, and choreography. Legally Blonde was a great show with great actors and actresses. We loved every minute of both of these productions. The Illusionarium was an OK show from what I saw of it. My father in law paid for premium seating for all in our party. When we arrived they put us in front of the Kitchen door way on the side of the stage. The kids could not see what was going on because the actors were focused on the front of the room and there was a table in front of us. When the kids got up to move to a spot to see what was going on in the show, the restaurant staffers told them to go sit down. We were also told to arrive at 5:30. Most of the people were already eating when we arrived and all the “premium” tables were gone to the Haven folks. That was sad. It was a very Disney like venue. I am sure it was very entertaining to those that could see the show and the video enhanced dome above the stage.

What I noticed is that NCL has decided to create their own little kingdom on board creating the peasant and upper class areas on board in the creation of the Haven group to supplement their bottom line. This is terrible in my opinion. The peasants (regular customers) get crammed into small spaces and are lured to pay premium prices for specialty restaurants, and amenities while the “Haven” group gets their own special areas and front row preferential seating for all venues. Not really cool in my opinion (Yes, I can afford Haven prices but never had to pay to be treated like upper class before on past cruises). I guess it’s a way to nickel and dime us to their prosperity. On this cruise, I felt as though I never got off of the airplane. It was very cramped and crowded. I had to pay for comforts. All in all the staff on board were very friendly and the food was just above average. As a recommendation, I would take the name literally and “Getaway” from the Getaway. Unless of course you are feeling generous and don’t mind to become a Haven snob for a week. Sorry NCL, you missed the boat on this one. I might try one of your smaller ships in the future to see if the old school style cruising is still alive.

I hope that this helps anyone thinking of booking on the Getaway. Overall, my advice would be to book on the Allure or Oasis for a large ship experience. Much better design and vacation feel.

Visited June 2014
16 Thank TadmanW
Muskego, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Norwegian Getaway”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was my 6th cruise. Second one with our three children. I will only be reviewing the ship, not any of the excursions. First all the good we experienced. Embarkation was flawless and fast, as was disembarkation. The ship was beautiful, clean and had the best food we have eaten compared to other cruises. LOVED the Garden Cafe, Flamingo, and O'Sheehans bar and Grill. Pizza 24/7! The staff was extremely helpful, courteous and always eager to help. Communication was never a problem. Our family oceanview stateroom was a nice size, including a large bathroom. The two free shows were awesome, as was the expensive Illusionarium show. Comedy clubs were funny but more rated R at times than PG13. (even earlier show)
My daughter 13 said it was the best week of her life. She spent a great deal of time in the Entourage club. She met tons of new friends and LOVED all the counselors. My 11 yr old also had a fabulous time in the splash Academy, met lots of friends and even love those counselors more. My 8 year old boy, well, it was OK for him. He went a good amount of the time and enjoyed most of the games they played. Unfortunately, there were NO VIDEO GAMES which he was looking forward to. Not that I'm a fan of them, but I understood his disappointment. He doesn't have the systems that most kids have these days, and was hoping to have an opportunity to try some as he did on the Disney ship. I agree that kids should be outside playing with friends, but video games do offer socialization opportunities too. Besides that, MOST of the Splash Academy activities were inside a small to moderate size room. The upstairs Splash Academy for his older sister was of equal size. (checking kids in and out process too crowded, borderline rude) They all enjoyed the waterslides.
The not so good. Our room 5776 had loud noises going on randomly through the night. Especially the last night. There was also a rhythmic double thud in the late afternoon/early evening. Wow was that aggravating!
Kids pool was great for 2-6yr olds. They didn't seem to care how small it was. It was too babyish for my son. Adult pool was small too. He wasn't allowed in it. But since the Splash Academy closed from 12-2, we had to take him in with us, or we couldn't enjoy it. (too young to be unsupervised) BTW, adult only swimming pool and hot tubs are a myth. Not enforced.(except in VIBE) Glad we didn't buy into the Vibe since our 8yr old needed our supervision from 12-2 and 5-7pm EVERY DAY. OK, you get that this is my beef. I do take responsibility that I did not learn the club closes during the day, and for that reason, we will never return to that ship, and we will pay closer attention to kids club hours. Trust me, we love taking our kids on vacation, and travel a lot with them, but we also were looking for some R&R during the day too. By the time we got everyone up, fed breakfast and sunscreened up, it was almost 11. (teens!) So by noon, we were looking to settling in with a few cocktails and a good book. But we had Junior...........I never finished one book! We attempted mini golf twice during those times, but the plastic balls just blew everywhere. They did the obstacle course once, but it was sooooo windy, they were afraid to do it again. He liked the slides (which we went with him), but he got bored of the three slides after a while. Did I mention the most fun around the adult pool is from 12-2?
Pay attention to all the hours. Not sure why the rock climbing, slides and obstacle course hours are so restricted.
Parties started too late. Most started at 1030 PM. We bought all new white apparel for the Glo party, but our 8 yr old was so tired, we couldn't enjoy it.
As much as I loved the O'Sheehans bar and Grill, it was SUPER LOUD. The Atrium (6th floor) always had a band playing and there were speakers went as high as the 7th floor. We had to yell to hear each other at the table.
Like I said, shows were great, but there were ONLY two. Burn the Floor and Legally Blonde. Other cruise ships have nightly shows.
Too many restaurants. Unless you are just cruising for the food. Then it's the perfect cruise for you. Although you would never have enough time to try all of them. Who needs 28 restaurants to choose from? Could have used the rooms for other things. Like more shops. No shops for kids. Lots of Liquor and Jewelry shops.
Do not plan on running on their so called track. It is only open until 930AM and it doesn't even run half way around the ship. I can actually laugh about how bad that track is.
Our main problem is that we took the kids on the Disney ship before this one. So our standards were high. Disney does it so right, it's no wonder they are number one for family. Why didn't we take one again? The cost. Perfect example of you pay for what you get. Bottom line, if you have kids old enough to wander the ship unsupervised and they like to meet new friends, you will have a good time on the ship. But for an amazing FAMILY cruise, save up for Disney.
Props to Oasis of the Seas too. Very upscale.

Visited March 2014