“Beautiful at first glance....but”

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #12 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the trendy Z Ocean hotel. The hotel room is very impressive at first site. We found the room to be modern and comfortable, with high end amenities, but not very functional. My husband, who is a diehard coffee fan, worked on the espresso machine for well over 30 minute to decipher the mini pictures that were intended to be instructions. He has easily used every coffee maker from Amsterdam to Hawaii and everywhere in between and never had so much frustration making a cup of coffee. It took both us, plus reading glasses in the poorly lit area to finally get a cup of coffee. Total time 40 minutes. We also felt pretty helpless after spending 20 minutes trying to get the TV volume to work. We tried both remotes and every button, before calling down for assistance. It took the maintenance guy over an hour, so that made us feel better. He said somebody took the wires out to set up their own sound system. I did think he was moving in with us, but luckily I was able to close off all the doors to the bathroom and continue getting ready to go out. This was not the only repair needed. The A/C blew freezing cold from the time we arrived until the next morning, despite us setting it at 80 to try to get it to stop blowing. The repair man came right away the next morning and repaired it in about 20 minutes.
It's great to have a kitchen, so we picked up croissants and cheese. We realized that despite the high end look to the kitchen, it is really not functional. No silverware to cut anything, no paper towels, and only coffee cup sized plates. So, if you are planning on eating in the room (we travel all over the world on a tight budget, so we rarely eat out, which I'm sure is not the norm for this area) be prepared to buy paper plates and plastic silverware to make the kitchen functional. We ended up using the bathroom towels to heat up the croissants and then to wipe up the sink area. The mini fridge isn't a fridge at all. It is room temperature, so I’m not really sure how that is supposed to keep anything fresh. We used our beach cooler to keep our things cold. As reported by a few others, the lighting is not great and the room is generally dark.
The rooms open up onto a large balcony that is open to your neighbors, so keeping the curtains open isn't much of an option. The shower and bathroom are magnificent with a his and hers sink area. The lighting in the shower is very dark, so if you have any plans to shave, just pretend that you are without power. The beds were amazingly comfortable and we probably would have slept great, but we didn’t get that opportunity. Unfortunately, we had a bachelorette group in the room next door, screaming and laughing on the patio at 11:30 pm on the first night. We decided to go out on the patio in the hopes that they would quiet down a bit. The balconies have a VERY open barrier between them The girls seemed surprised when we came out and sat down right next to them. I know Miami Beach is a party spot, but not everyone wants to share in the neighbor's party. The next night was worse. They came in at 2:00 AM, were screaming and running up and down the halls and slamming doors. I called for assistance at 3:30 and by 4:00 am we were able to get back to sleep. We are 50 and chose the location for the beach and the hotel reviews, not really expecting young party goers to ruin the experience. We had a white noise machine and the A/C fan blowing, but it could not cover the noise. Another couple our age came down to complain at the same time and asked for the manager. They said another loud party was going all night and security did not respond to their request for assistance. The front desk girl did not apologize to us, but simply checked us out. They only offered a noon checkout, which did us no good, so we went ahead and checked out at 9:00 and had our luggage stored by the porter. Since we are platinum priority members (and Ambassador) the wifi was free, as well as the luxury beach chairs, pads and umbrellas. They were the nicest offered on the beach. The chairs had 4” thick pads and super soft covers, so we really thought this perk was great. The gorgeous, expansive beach was an easy walk out the lobby, across one small street and up the concrete walkway. Overall, we loved the luxury feel and decor of the hotel and definitely the location. I don't know if we would come again, but it was definitely a memorable experience.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
ZOceanSobe, General Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to write this honest review of the Z Ocean Hotel in South Beach. Your response is very important to us, it helps us become aware of areas in which need improvement. It is regrettable to hear you encounter various issues during your stay. We are taking steps to improve some of the areas that you have mentioned. Efforts are also underway to train our team to improve our service and response to our guest needs.

If your travels plans bring you back to South Beach I hope that you will consider staying with us at the Z Ocean Hotel again. I would like to personally ensure that you have a great experience and better accommodations. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance to you on your next stay.

Thank you again for your candid review, I wish you all the best.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Z Ocean Hotel South Beach

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed here for nine nights around Easter and were generally impressed by the quality of the hotel and the efficiency of all the staff. We had booked a roof-top "partial ocean view" for the duration of our stay but apparently some of the upper rooms had flooded and we stayed one night on the third floor in a high quality room over looking Collins. I would say that the potential for rooms on this side of the hotel to suffer from serious noise, is considerable. After one night we were moved into Room 426, a partial ocean view with roof top jacuzzi. "Partial" is right, from the bedroom itself there was no view at all but from the roof terrace, if we leaned around a corner, we could see the ocean. The bedroom was too dark for our liking and dominated by the floor to ceiling TV stand but otherwise the fittings were of a high quality and the bathroom was excellent with huge rain shower and double sinks. It's worth noting, we stayed in three different rooms in nine days and none of them had a tub.
For the last three nights we moved to Room 409 which was superb, overlooking Ocean Drive and with a clear view of the ocean. This room did not have the central TV station so was open and airy and a significant improvement on our other rooms.
One note about the beds - they're huge and use the "pillow top" thing that seems ever more popular. We personally found this one of the more uncomfortable hotel we've used in a long time, to soft, and too ridged.
Wifi is 14 dollars per night, and as others have said, when you're paying 500 a night, this should be included.
Parking is 32 a night but it looks like all hotel parking is expensive in that area. There is a public parking garage about 100 yards away that's half the price, and worth looking at.
This is a great hotel in a fantastic location. The Jacuzzi rooms are great, but so are the standard rooms although you should be careful about the location, on Collins you could be plagued by noise.

Room Tip: Rooms on Ocean Drive take some beating..
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StheBRIT

Dear Valued Guest;

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience over Easter break at the Z Ocean Hotel. Your feedback is very important to us. Thank you for your kind words for the team, they are pleased to hear that you enjoyed their service.

We hope that if your travel plans bring you back to South Beach you will join us again at the Z Ocean Hotel. I would like to personally ensure your next experience is enjoyable. If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to call me directly.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We are platinum priority club members and stayed three nights over Easter weekend. It was fabulous! The staff could not have been nicer, from the front desk personnel (props to Catherine and Milly) to the bell men to the jacuzzi guys. We were upgraded after the first night when the hotel cleared out a bit. As priority members our wifi and resort fees were waived each night. Your chaises, umbrella, and towels are complimentary on the beach, which is literally across the street.

The balconies are large, the shower has one overhead and four body level shower heads. There is a small 'kitchen' area with a microwave, espresso machine, wet sink, refrigerator, wine and martini glasses and china coffee and espresso cups. There are two flat screen TVs, one facing the bed and one facing the sofa. The bathroom has his and hers vanity areas.

It is right in he heart of South Beach. We can't wait to go back!

A word of warning - as is true in much of Miami, many restaurants and bars ADD AN 18% GRATUITY onto your bill. We ate once on property, at the Front Porch Cafe (wonderful food, great for people watching), and the gratuity was included. We paid with a credit card, and when the bill came there is a line for 'tip', so I added 20% of the total and signed. No one mentioned that I had just tipped Peter almost $25 for a $55 tab. I know it was my ignorance, and I'm not blaming the restaurant, but it did sour me a bit and we didn't eat there again because of it.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, or get an upgrade, the spa rooms are wonderful - jacuzzi tub on the balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BitzyPhiladelphia

Dear Valued Guest;

We thank you for taking the time to write those kind words about the Z Ocean Hotel. It is our goal to provide exceptional service and amenities for our guests. Thank you for your kind words for Catherine, Milly and the team. We are very pleased to learn that your experience at the hotel was a pleasant one; we strive to provide a warm environment for the guests.

We hope to welcome you here at the Z Ocean Hotel again soon. I would like to personally ensure that you have a great experience. If I can be of any assistance to you please do not hesitate to call me directly.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Visited the Z Ocean for the second time two weeks ago and loved it. I have written a previous review on this hotel but just thought I would update. We love this hotel and would go back but there are a few things I would say to management....
1) Put the rates up!!! It will keep the 20-24 year olds out...at 500.00 a night for roof top terrace I don't need the room next to me filled with 6 people all splitting the cost.
2)Set a maximum level on the roof top speakers so we don't have to listen to techno from 4 patios away at 10am
3)FREE WIFI...Most hotels at 500.00 a night include it now wherever you are in the world.
Overall from the front desk to the maids, the service was great and we would return.
For others looking to go, Sunday through Thursday are the best nights if you want to avoid the loud 20-25 crowd that arrive for a SoBe weekend. I love a party but thats why we stay here...its close enough to the Ocean Drive action but just far enough to be relaxing when you don't want the noise.

Room Tip: Take a look at Miami events before booking...this hotel is very cool and if there is an event on i.e...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MJCDN

Dear Valued Guest;

I am glad you enjoyed your get away here at the Z Ocean Hotel. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and providing us with your insight. We are very happy to know that our team enhanced your experience. Customer service is something that I place a lot of importance on and our team is constantly striving to exceed your expectations.

Thank you for your loyalty, we hope that you will consider staying with us yet again. It is a pleasure having you at the Z Ocean Hotel. If I can be of any assistance to you please do not hesitate to call me directly.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We've just had a fantastic stay at the Z - fantastic room, loved the roof top jacuzzi, great service, amazing breakfasts at the cafe - the staff were particularly fab. But this really isn't the ideal hotel for kids and I think that should be explained on booking. We arrived in our room with our 11 and 14 year olds to find a lovers intimacy kit on the bed - tip for the hotel - if a family is booked into the room - don't get housekeeping to put this out. The sofabed for the kids was really inadequate - it dropped down at the end of the bed so the kids kept slipping down. We should have probably read the blurb on the hotel more carefully which does talk about it being a couples hotel, with curtains for 'privacy' around your roof top jacuzzi. That said we all had a fab time, there were other kids at the hotel and the children were treated particularly well by the staff. Big thumbs up for Domingo.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank LucieJScott

Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at the hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback. I am pleased that you found the Z Ocean Hotel to your liking. We place a high importance on customer service and the staff is delighted that you enjoyed their service. Thank you for your kind words for Domingo, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant, and I will pass the compliment on.

If your travel plans bring you back to South Beach, we hope that you will consider staying with us again. I would like to personally ensure that you have a great experience. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to call me directly.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 8 April 2012

A nice little hotel, which in a way tries to impress, but does not really succeed. The room was nicely decorated, but looked like it would be too small to all the furniture, the pool area is small, the common areas (including the bar and the restaurant) quite shady and usually quite deserted. However, the jacuzzi on the roof of the room was quite a treat and the personnel (during the few interactions with them) was very friendly!

Room Tip: The rooms with a roof top jacuzzi are quite a treat!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
ZOceanSobe, General Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Z Ocean Hotel on South Beach, your insights mean a lot to us. I have shared your courteous comments with our team, and they are delighted to hear that your stay was a memorable one.

We look forward to welcoming you back and feel free to contact me directly to assist you in your next visit.

Best Regards

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Art Deco hotel was great. Service was excellent. Staff was helpful, polite and friendly.Great breakfast at the Front Porch Cafe. Penthouse with Jacuzzi was pampering. On the other hand, a charge of $14. per day for internet was ok but management needs to notify guests that the charge is per device and not per room. will surely recommend to friends and will return .Near Lincoln Road, Espanola Way and Ocean Drive.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alleemshah
ZOceanSobe, General Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Dear Valued guest;

Thank you for your kind words for the team. I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your visit with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed the amenities we offer, location, great service of our hotel, as well as the private Jacuzzi on your rooftop terrace.

We hope that if your travels bring you back to Miami Beach that you will consider staying at the Z Ocean Hotel again. If I may be of any assistance to you on your next stay please do not hesitate to call me directly.

Kind Regards,