“The very best staff and customer service ever!”

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #12 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 May 2014

WoW! I took my mom last week for her b-day. She preferred to spend more time at the hotel than on the beach! Maybe because the staff was so amazing...especially Mickey. I told Mickey if he's not there when I come back I want a refund! Flosella and Shaleen were also fantastic. They were honest and helpful with all of my questions. Overall Z Ocean is a beautiful spacious hotel with great hotel staff. Big kudos to Mickey again. Thank you for taking the time to find concert tickets for my mom, we appreciated your efforts. # Medea

SNW

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sherrellenicole
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Good Afternoon Sherrellenicole,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review for the Z Ocean Hotel. We are extremely thrilled to hear that you find our staff to be the very best! Your comments will most definitely be passed on to Mickey, Fiorella and Shaleen. We are happy that your mom and you were able to enjoy her birthday in a wonderful way. When you do return, Mickey will be here to assist you again with pleasure! We look forward to your next stay with us! Welcome to the family.

There are newer reviews for Z Ocean Hotel South Beach

Reviewed 24 May 2014

OK, after two weeks in USA and our final stop at Z Ocean I was disappointed - we stayed for two nights. Z Ocean certainly has its faults and I find this the hardest review to write since some aspects are great but things let this place down badly.

We arrived in Miami in the worst rain you could possibly have driven in for an hour. Check in was lovely with the provision of a glass of bubbles each and the bellboy took us to our Penthouse suite - PH27. The suite itself is lovely. We had parked our car in valet parking (watch out for the very high prices).

We booked this hotel due to the rooftop terrace and partial sea view but in particular our own Jacuzzi. We were looking forward to using these facilities but was disappointed that due to the weather they had not been set up.

We needed our wifi urgently to postpone the thriller trip that we had booked on (due to the weather) but our connection did not work. After an hour of waiting following our call to reception we went downstairs to a "ooo didn't anyone come". New codes were given.

We then called reception later to fill our jacuzzi and sure enough about an hour later they had filled in (about 50% full) - I then just filled in up more myself. After a very stressful day I was heartbroken when we went up and on closer inspection found that some of the jets on the jacuzzi did not work and the whole terrace was shabby with weeds growing between the tiles, the sunbed was wickerwork which was unravelling and sodden from the rain, there were sun bed cushions which had bird pooh on them, the iPod docking station did not work, the fridge wanted throwing away, the curtain was useless and the electric sun shade did not work. The partial sea view really is partial, stand on a step, look around your neighbour wall and you can see the sea in about 20% of your view. Your terrace is very overlooked, as is everyone due to the layout - put it this way each time you climb the steps at least three rooms will say hello to you.

For a $400 per night stay I expected luxury and got OK. I picked myself up and we went out for a meal locally and later on went back to the hotel bar - there was no atmosphere (2 people in there) so we went to our room and had a coffee from the cool Nespresso machine. The instructions were for another machine and it took a few capsules to get it to work. There were 2 milk pots but 8 coffee capsules so we used both of these.

The next morning we went to use our Jacuzzi to discover it had been emptied - I really do not understand the policy of emptying but not refilling when I had asked for it to be filled the day before. Since they say it takes 40 minutes to fill and warm this is so annoying. We spent a lovely day in SoBE and got back to change for our evening meal to discover our room had been part serviced. Things such as the milk had not been replaced - why?!?!?

We used our Jacuzzi once since again on our final morning the Jacuzzi was drained and we had to check out. On check out we were not asked about our stay and we waited over 30 minutes to get our car from Valet since they were too busy rushing around after a family with bag after bag and kids. Once our car came they man handled our luggage when I was trying to stop them since we had a procedure to load our car so our luggage fitted.

The location is great, the opportunity this hotel has is amazing and from reviews it would seem that some peoples experience is amazing and some people really get the rough end of the deal. I was one of them and as a result I would not recommend since you arrive with such high expectations and leave under whelmed. This was the most expensive hotel we stayed in on our 18 night trip and when I leave better reviews for a $100 per night Hilton it says a lot.

Reading other negative comments I am sure the hotel will write that a Director of something will look into my feedback and it is all very important to them but I have to say it doesn't change how disappointed I feel because of my stay does it?

With Regrets :0(

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Linda78LL

Good Afternoon Linda78LL,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your past stay with us here at the Z Ocean Hotel. We are saddened to hear that your expectations were far from met. We are known for great service and satisfaction. We are disappointed that you were not able to experience that. Your comments and feedback will be looked into and passed along to the appropriate departments. Please contact me directly at elen.terzis@ihg.com if you would like to discuss the matter further. We hope you return in the future so that you can experience the hotel the right way! I look forward to a response.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the end of our fly drive holiday at this chic city hotel. Our check in was fabulous with valet parking and Dennis on reception was charming offering champagne and all the info we needed. A bellboy took us to our penthouse suite which was very well appointed. The bed and the bathroom were very luxurious.
We booked the penthouse suite because it has a rooftop terrace with a jacuzzi and sunbeds. We were looking forward to using these facilities to the full. We were so disappointed that some of the jets on the jacuzzi did not work and the whole terrace was shabby with weeds growing between the tiles, the sunbed was wickerwork which was unravelling, there were sun bed cushions which had bird pooh on them, the iPod docking station did not work and the electric sun shade did not work. We thought this hotel was expensive to be second rate like this. The bar closed very early but the location of this hotel is very good with a 24hr diner opposite and a 2 minute walk and you are on South beach.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rosecottage528764
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Good Afternoon rosecottage528764,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay from the Z Ocean Hotel. Z Ocean Hotel is known to provide great service and a great product. We are saddened to hear that there was some bad with your stay. Please be assured that we take all feedback very seriously and it has been shared with our General Manager and Director of Engineering in order to improve future stays. Anything we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at elen.terzis@ihg.com. It would be my pleasure to assist you.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here in March for 2 nights. I was with my family (wife and 2 young children) and another couple. We have stayed before at the Hilton Bentley and the Marriott south of 5th street, plus the downtown Doubletree. Our impression of the hotel staff has been not very positive. We decided to try somewhere different, and it was wonderful. As our cab pulled up we were greeted by a fantastic gentleman who took our bags and showed us to the reception area. I wish I could remember his name as he deserves a special mention, and definitely went beyond what a normal doorman would do just to get his tip. The receptionists were equally pleasant and helpful. As we were too early to check in, they stored our bags for us while we went for lunch. The reception staff were always very helpful with any request we had. And, most importantly, unlike our previous experiences they were friendly and pleasant.
I booked the room online but was unable to book for 4 guests (2 adults, 2 children). When I called the hotel directly, they said to just book for 3. I guess the occupancy is limited by fire regulations but it was fine to have the 4 of us in there. It was a well laid out room with a very comfortable bed and the best sofa bed we have ever had. It pulls out completely flat, not like a normal pull-out with a flimsy mattress which bends on the edges. It had a great shower, a Nespresso machine, microwave and dishes.
We knew we were booking a non-ocean front hotel and weren't put off by the lack of a view. Yes, we were overlooking a vacant lot but we did have a huge balcony. Our only complaint is the balcony. There is no privacy from your neighbours. The balconies are separated by a railing with no screen whatsoever. It makes for a funny combination when you have a family with 2 young girls wanting to sit outside next to a room of 4 college students drinking before their night out.
Our friends stayed in one of the penthouses. The rooftop patio, with hot tub, is quite amazing, if you wish to spend a lot of time in your room. Their is a partial view of the ocean.
The hotel is close to all the action. It's a short walk across the street to the beach where you get loungers and towels included. For evenings it's an easy walk to restaurants and Lincoln road Mall. There is also a Thrifty car rental across the street.
The only slight negative was the rudeness we unfortunately experienced at the hands of who we believe to be either a security staff member or a housekeeping supervisor. This tarnished our stay and was completely unlike any of our experiences with any of the other staff. The front desk manager and, later, customer service made amends for this incident.
I would recommend this great Hotel for anybody who doesn't need to be right on the beach. The staff will make sure you have a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gshaw81
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Good Morning gshaw81,

We are extremely proud and thrilled to hear that you believe we have the best hotel staff in Miami. We try hard to go above and beyond for every guest. We are glad that the hotel staff was able to assist you every time in a pleasant manner. We are known to provide excellent service. Thank you for taking the time to write such an amazing review for us. Hopefully we see you in the future to create more memories together.

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a sexy SOBE vibe, but is predictable in terms of the excellent customer service and accommodations. The property is well maintained and clean while being an IHG Crowne Plaza location. I have been there 4+ stays and all of the different rooms I have been in are spacious with great amenities. One should not miss the onsite bar which has a stellar staff mixing familiar and inventive cocktails (don't miss Happy Hour). Also, don't overlook Front Beach Cafe (separate review) as the food quality, wine selection and service is stellar. The hotel also offers beach chairs, etc. as part of the experience. In summary, great location, great staff and no 'boutique' attitude that you might find at other nearby properties.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LosAngelesRoadWarrio

Good Morning LosAngelesRoadWarrio,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an amazing review the the Z Ocean Hotel. We are extremely thrilled you enjoyed our excellent customer service and accommodations. Happy Hour at the onsite bar is a hit! Hopefully we will see you soon to enjoy another happy hour!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

This hotel is perfectly located near all the clubs, bars, restaurants and the beach is literally on your doorstep. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were treated like celebs from the moment we walked through the door. Really really clean, spacious rooms, good housekeeping and nice restaurant too! Hot tubs were great-and were set up whenever you like. Good facilities in the rooms too, and on the beach they set up sunbeds everyday for you. The hotel concierge Mickey is really helpful so speak to him about nights out! Its a nice calm hotel in the madness of south beach. Overall would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank LiveLaughTravel123
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Good Morning Resh92,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review for the Z Ocean! We are extremely thrilled to hear that you had an amazing girls holiday. The Z Ocean is perfectly located as you stated and the rooms are amazing. Hopefully we will see you soon to enjoy another girls holiday.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Z ocean for 3 nights for our anniversary. We have been going to south beach for years and this was by far our best stay, property wise. Z ocean hotel is the perfect combination of a high class luxury hotel while still maintaining a smaller boutique feel. The entire staff was extremely friendly and made us feel welcome at all times. The roof top terrace was incredible. We had so much fun within our room and terrace that we spent most of our time at the hotel. The hotel also offers complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas. For new comers to south beach, Z ocean hotel is in a perfect location, on ocean drive and in the middle of Espanola Way and Lincoln road two great locations for lunch and dinner. We've stayed at nearly all the surrounding worth while hotels and Z ocean has been our favorite by far.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alexceglarz

Good Morning alexceglarz,

We can't wait to have you back!! Thank you for such an amazing review. We are so happy to know that we were able to make this stay memorable for your anniversary. Anything we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact a Manager on Duty at anytime.