“Great time! ”

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #13 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Z for 3 nights. Loved our pool side room that we were upgraded to due to my Platinum status. We received a champaign welcome followed by a bottle of wine sent to our room. We were made to feel very special during our visit! Thank you Dominiqgo!

Stayed: July 2014
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Good Afternoon TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Z Ocean. Thank you for being a loyal IHG Rewards member. We are glad that we were able to make you feel special during your visit! Hopefully you will return to the Z!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Thanks for reading my review - here's my 2 cents.

Check in: Was with my partner and a 5 year old. The room wasn't ready at check in, which was alright given I was about 45 minutes earlier than 3pm. However, it still wasn't ready at 4 either and the reception was luke warm at best. Not that big of a deal, but it's those small nuances that make you consider recommending a property or not. The manager of the front desk did come out after it was obvious that patience was waning (remember the 5 year old?) and the lobby is tiny and the only place air conditioned. Another small nuance, I booked the breakfast package and if you're spending $400 a night, I just think it's a little tacky to give 'coupons' to give to the waitstaff at the table. It cheapens the experience a bit and just feels a bit old school to me.
Rooms - luckily, I called a few days earlier to change the 'partial view' rooftop to the city view. If you're considering, it's not worth the extra $100 night given the hotel directly across the street blocks the majority of your view. Our suite also provided a partial view and was just thankful I modified the request in advance. The rooms themselves are 'smart'. I loved the shower and the lines/bed was very comfortable. If you're looking for a lot of square feet, this is more of a tight loft type of feel. Again, fine for me and the family - might not be the taste for those hoping for a more open feel. The roof top terrace was also nice, with a jacuzzi. Housekeeping did a great job at keeping the place tidy and replenished the towels that were dragged in from the beach. For those hotels that are 'green' - they should consider just putting in the Aveda (the products they used) shower dispenser and not the dozens of tiny bottles that get tossed and replenished.
Beach - it was very hot when we were there so only utilized the beach services once. They staff was very friendly and helpful in getting things set up.
Restaurant - with the breakfast package, obviously we were there each morning. The breakfast menu was great and compliments to the chef for a great job on lots of options. The services was friendly and even accommodated my son with humor each morning. I had dinner there one evening and wasn't impressed with the meal. The drinks were pretty poor and the food itself was just not imaginative nor worth the money.
Pool - I did order a lunch for the family at the pool one afternoon. I have to say, whomever was there working the bar that day was awesome. She made great drinks, was super friendly and provided that extra service that makes you feel good about the place you are staying at. I wish I would of gotten her name - she was by far the most service oriented individual at the entire hotel during my stay.
Valet - I was pleased with the service for the entire stay. They had the car always ready when we went down and there wasn't a wait to have it parked upon our return.

Overall, I liked the hotel. I'm not certain I would be inclined to stay a second time given there are other properties around the same price range that I would want to try. I think hotel establishments need to be more forward thinking with their clientele. It's not just the time we spend there at that moment, it's the little extras that make us want to come back to their properties in the future and recommend to others.
For example - a cold drink at check in, or a cool towel given the small lobby in which you have to wait. If the room isn't ready, offer the client something at the bar or make a suggestion to wait in the restaurant. If you're staying there for a long period of time, make a call - see how things are going and if there's anything needed to make the stay more enjoyable. Or follow up when something went poorly (ie. checkin). Give me a reason to really want to come back, talk to friends about your place or look at other hotels that are within the same chain.

Just my 2 cents

Room Tip: I was in PH13, which was right next to the corner - roof top view. Same view, just less per night
7  Thank longdays7
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Good Morning longdays7,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Z Ocean. We appreciate all your comments and feedback. Please be assured that your review has been shared with our executive committee in order to improve service and to review the wonderful ideas you have provided for us. We would have hoped that your stay would have been the "wow" experience. We hope you do decide to return to the Z. If you do decide to return, please contact me directly at elen.terzis@ihg.com to ensure that we live up to the service we are known to provide. The pool bar attendants name is Valeria! She is known to make the best drinks with her wonderful smile!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here fro 5 days in a pool side suite. had our own outdoor table and sun loungers pool side.
Loved it. Don't book this room if you like your privacy. But we loved it. Very modern and clean, comfy beds, his and hers bathrooms. Great. Very good restaurant and bar. All rooms have balconies,
I would definitely stay here again. great location to beach and shopping.Beach one block away. Shopping right outside hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice. I liked the poolside, but top floors have their own Jacuzzi and sun deck.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suzzanne99
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Good Morning OakuraSue1,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Z Ocean Hotel! We are glad to hear you enjoyed the pool lanai room! Hopefully we will see you soon at the Z Ocean for another 5 day stay!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Z Ocean hotel is very well situated just by the beach at Miami South beach. Beds are great, rooms nice, quality good and friendly but be ware of the valet parking. We Hamden in our car, a brand new 4-series BMW cab,and we're about to pick it up the next day. When we came to pick it up did the car have a scratch on the front bumper. The guy who Parker the car was friendly, excused on behalf of the company but needed his manager to come when I started to claim a protocol and and copy of their insurance document. He called for his Manager but when he arrived did he not want to identify himself neither share the insurance document or number. So, I simply had to call the police to get this sorted out. The police came and it turned out that everything I asked for was suddenly easy to get. Even the police called the Valet Parkin "not a serious company" and pointed out the Manager to be a crook.
Despite this did the hotel give discounts and excuses in a professional way. Stay at the hotel, it's very good but avoid the valet parking,

2  Thank 100donesofar
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Good Morning Michael W,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Z Ocean Hotel. We appreciate every feedback and comment as this allows up to grow and improve on our service. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the hotel aspect of your stay and hope to see you again. Your comments will be forwarded to the executive committee and the Valet company management. Anything we can assist you with please feel free to contact a Manager on Duty or myself at elen.terzis@ihg.com.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My family recently visited the Z Ocean hotel in Miami Beach. The location is perfect with the front of the hotel on Collins Ave and the rear on Ocean. It's near great restaurants and shopping, has beautiful views of the ocean, and is directly across from the beach. Our huge private terrace and hot tub overlooking the ocean were unbelievable! Nothing like a midnight soak with a glass of wine and some music (speakers provided)! The hotel restaurant is terrific. But the best thing about this hotel is the terrific staff. They really go out of their way to be helpful. Special thanks to Domingo who couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms with a huge terrace and jacuzzi hot tub!
3  Thank MRTravel2014
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Good Afternoon MRTravel2014 ,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Z Ocean Hotel. We are so thrilled to hear that your family and you thoroughly enjoyed the location and staff services! Please be assured that Domingo will be made aware of your kind words for him! Hopefully we will see you soon again to have more terrific times!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Don't hesitate: this hotel is great! It's clean, it's near the beach, it's near the centre, it's staff is very friendly! It started in our case with Domingo...such a nice and helpfull man, getting our suitcases, bringing them to the room and explained some important things! He made us feel at home!
Leave your towels at home. You will not need them. Also on the beach towels will be provided.
There is an ATM machine in the lobby, there is a restaurant 'the front porch café' where breakfast is great. I can not find anything to complain about...
So book it!
I know we would, if we will go again to miami!
Absolutely! No doubt about it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Belinda S

Good Afternoon Belinda S ,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an amazing review for the Z Ocean! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish! Domingo will absolutely adore the comments on his service! We hope that you do not hesitate to return to Miami and to the Z Ocean!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed for 8 days just after Easter 2014. The hotel is close to beach - very handy indeed. Staff super friendly and helpful. We needed a doctor for our son, and the concierge sorted it out no time. Overall I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Collins Avenue. Our room was facing the pool and also the pool level. The kids lo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Good Afternoon arniea68,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Z Ocean! We are extremely thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. We are thankful that the concierge was able to assist with finding a doctor for your son and we hope he is doing well! Hopefully we will see you again!