“Something different for a change!”

COMO Metropolitan Miami Beach
Ranked #4 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
“Something different for a change!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

If you're looking for a unique, luxury hotel experience, this is the place for you! Loved our art deco room which was on a higher floor with an ocean view. As my husband and I walked into the room we felt like we were entering a different time period, but not...if that makes sense. Hard to describe, it's so unusual. Glo in Helsinki is the only other hotel I can think of that is similar in design and feel. Clean, open space, soothing green walls, comfortable bed, and fantastic rain shower. Eclectic decor: gotta love the golf ball ice bucket! Only downside on the room would be the dirty windows from the ongoing construction around the hotel. Hotel staff was exceptional and we'd like to personally acknowledge Toby at the pool bar. Every one of the pool staff is amazing, but he's your shining star! Good conversation, genuinely friendly and upbeat, made excellent recommendations regarding drinks and food... made us feel welcome and comfortable. The masseur (Ugh! What was his name?) listened to all my wants and needs and gave me an excellent deep tissue massage. I especially liked him because he said I reminded him of Sharon Stone. Lol! Hey, I will take any compliment I can get and hope he wasn't just insinuating I was crazy! Compliments to the chef! We ate breakfast and dinner at Traymore and thought the food was fresh, inventive, and extremely delicious. She put serious thought into the menu and it shows. Only negative would be the young bartendar's lack of experience. He was very sweet and meant well, but had trouble mixing drinks. Martinis should be poured into martini glasses, not what looked like an ice cream sundae dish, and the $18 glass of champagne should be poured into a champagne flute, not a wine glass. Signature cocktails were strange, as well. This sounds petty, but it's a high class hotel and the bar should be top notch, too. We see that the kinks are being worked out and we will definitely be back!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Javier B, Manager at COMO Metropolitan Miami Beach, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Christine O,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent experience at our property.

We are cerainly glad to know that you enjoy and value the unique decor of the hotel, besides other touches in different areas of your room and restaurant. More importantly, it is excellent to read that you had such a great experience at the COMO Shambhala Urban Escape.

Looking forward to welcoming you very shortly.

Andres Gomez
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 May 2014

In a city known for new hotel concepts it's tempting to think you've seen it all. The Metropolitan brings something new to Miami: service. By far and away the best group of people you will meet in Miami hotel. From the moment you walk through the door to the moment you leave you are surrounded by charm and warmth.

This is a grown up hotel for people that know what luxury is.

Small, intimate, beautifully designed and spectacularly well run. An oasis in the South Beach strip. From Javier downwards you couldn't ask for more. Special mention to the guys running the pool and the housekeeper who let me into my room after realizing before I did that I'd stayed past my late check-out time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Gaberat,

It is with great pleasure that we read that you rate us so highly and that you have identified something unique in our property.

Thank you very much for your comments on the friendliness of our staff, we truly appreciate every effort made by our team members to make your stay more enjoyable.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Andres Gomez
New York, United States
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The longer we stayed at Metropolitan by COMO, the more we appreciated the hotel.
We saw the few negatives of the hotel right away. So lets get the negatives out of the way: The first couple days we were worried that we would get bored. The location of the hotel is somewhat in the middle of nowhere. You can walk to most things.. but its a far walk. Short cab ride. Also, there isnt much activity at the hotel. Its very quiet (there is a nice band most nights) with a beautiful pool and amazing beach.. but plain. Not much to do. Another negative was the food. NOTE: we did NOT have the dinner. But we did have breakfast and lunch at the hotel. The food isnt very american. Its odd. Tasty. but extremely small portions and not filling. Also they deliver food on the beach (which is amazing), but the food isnt beachy. We had salmon that we had to eat with a knife and fork. on the beach... which can be difficult. And the last negative of the hotel is that since the area of the hotel is up-and-coming.. there is construction all around. We couldnt hear it from the room (thank God), but it kind of ruins the relaxing mood at the pool.
It wasnt until the last few days that we truly started to appreciate how great the hotel was. So lets go on to the POSITIVES: After spending the days at other hotels- it was a true oasis to come back to the metropolitan. I dont think I could take the "thump thump thump" music at the other hotels 24 hours a day. Also the service at the Metropolitan by Como is truly one-of-a-kind. Honestly, it cannot be matched. It really felt like we were the only ones staying at the hotel and our wish was their command. The staff was so friendly, nice, and smart. They personalized the stay for us. Even before our room was ready- they gave us our own personal bathroom to shower, change, (with robes, towels, etc) and where we can keep our things- so we could lay on the beach until our room was ready. Did not have to worry about a thing the whole trip. Also, Metropolitan by Como's beach chairs are by far the nicest of all the other hotels. And theres no fighting for a chair. No matter when you want to go to beach, there is always a lounge chair waiting for you with fresh towels and a waiter to make sure you are comfortable. NO OTHER hotel does that. And the waiters (ours were Domi and Josh) were amazing. I dont often get to know waiters by name- but we became so fond of them by the end of the trip. They really added a personalized quality to the hotel. Also, the other guests at the hotel are high class. After going around miami (which in entertaining), its nice to return to normalcy.
SO, OVERALL- I would say this hotel is GREAT for couples. Kids would get board- stay elsewhere. The service is truly one-of-a-kind. The metropolitan by como is a beautiful and calm oasis to relax and get away from the craziness of Miami. I would DEFINITELY stay there again and again.

Room Tip: The beach side is much prettier- obviously. But if you want to save some money, the rooms facing the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Javier B, Manager at COMO Metropolitan Miami Beach, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Julie S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a thorough review of your stay with us. Every experience has its positives and negatives and I am glad to hear that your positive experiences outweighed all else. We certainly enjoy that our location is a bit removed and quieter compared to your typical Miami Beach scene. We take great pride in our health & wellness aspects in addition to our realm for pure relaxation. I am pleased to hear that you were able to make the most of it.

Personalizing the experience is our goal for each and every stay, and as one of the smaller properties on Miami Beach, we are tremendously successful at this. Domi and Josh both work incredibly hard and deliver on what we consider the "COMO Experience". I have passed along your kind words to both of them and were both humbled by your mention.

On behalf of our entire team, we look forward to your return! Your pool chair awaits!!

Warm Regards,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Every detail was attended to in the smartly renovated treasure.
Our family , husband, wife , 2 adult daughters and an infant enjoyed 4 days at this gem.
The Spa treatments a must.
Dylan amazing.
My husband especially enjoyed the hydro therapy pool on the roof.
The restaurant breakfast buffet,
Organic food service , and pool bar and food amazing ! As I write this on our final evening we view the sunset from the Spa terrace. Pleasing all from an infant to 58 Year old.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear EAnnVR,

Pleasure having you and your family with us and hope your travels brought you back home safely. There is nothing quite like watching the sunset from our rooftop hydrotherapy pool and glad you were able to enjoy on your visit. Good news is it will be awaiting your return!

From the cuisine, to relaxing at the spa, I am glad you were able to truly enjoy your time away. I have passed along your kind remark to Dylan at the spa and know that on behalf of our entire team, look forward to your return.

All the best,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Thank you very much Javier and all the team... Has been a wonderful stay and fantastic break in Miami Beach!
Beach and swimming pool are great and relaxing! You have the best of Miami Beach but without the crazy crowd.
You all need to try this new hotel, sophisticated yet simple and very comfortable...
I wish we will be back soon.
Alejandra and Jesus

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a terrace... They are beautiful...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlejandrayJesus
Javier B, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Miami Beach, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Alejandra and Jesus,

Glad you were able to make it down from New York to spend some time away on the beach! I greatly appreciate your kind remarks following your stay with us, and we'll ensure the same nice room for you upon your return!

If anything I can do to assist in arranging your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

All the best,

Javier Beneyto
Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I really don't want to be too harsh because everyone at the hotel tried to be nice, but in terms of value for money, the hotel is overpriced. There is nothing spectacular about the rooms, actually they are quite ordinary. The area at the back by the pool would definitely benefit from some landscaping ideas. What really disappointed me was the fact that there wasn't a TV in the bar to watch a game or catch up on the news while I had a drink.

But I would go back to this hotel. I can see that the staff appreciates the value of great service. There was one individual who stood out above everyone because of the excellent service she provided on a couple of occasions I ventured out to the pool to relax and read my book. Her name tag said "Latecia" (I'm sorry, but I don't know her last name). From the minute she approached me, I felt comfortable communicating with her. She wasn't intrusive at all, but I was happy to take a few minutes away from reading my book to have a very interesting and enjoyable conversation with her. The next time I went over there, she remebered my name and we chatted like old friends. She was truly a breath of fresh air in what I thought was an otherwise ordinary environment.

In the past I would normally stay at the Ritz Carlton (that's why I think your hotel is short on value for money), and I have great difficulty in understanding why a TV isn't placed in the area of the bar, but I would return to your hotel because of the efforts of your staff and especially because of Latecia's charming, yet very professional level of service.

Yours sincerely,

Grafton

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Javier B, Manager at COMO Metropolitan Miami Beach, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Grafton W,

Thank you for your review and kind comments regarding our team and specifically Leticia. I have shared these with her and I know she is greatly appreciative of your recognition. I am certainly proud of the service from our entire pool & beach team.

With our goal to be the quieter "cocoon" on Miami Beach, we made the decision to not install a TV in our bar area. We certainly are prepared to set up our private dining space for large events such as the World Cup, Super Bowl, Olympics, etc, but unfortunately went away from installing anything permanent in this space. All of your comments will certainly be helpful for us as we constantly seek ways to improve the overall experience.

I am glad to hear of your desire to stay with us on your next visit to Miami Beach, but please do contact me directly when planning your visit so that I may personally look after your stay.

Warm Regards,

NYC
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I had high hopes for this hotel based on all the 5 star reviews. Honestly, it was fine but I wouldn't stay there again. It was an ok design-- but kind of bland. The vibe at the pool was pretty bland. The room was small which is not a problem. Bed not all that comfortable. There is very little nearby -- not even coffee. The service was just ok, nothing special, quite slow at breakfast even though there were only a few tables occupied. The food prices were very high and the food was also just "ok". On our last day I asked if anyone had found my flip flops by the pool and the woman at the front desk didn't know where the lost and found items were and therefore couldn't / wouldn't help find them. My fault for leaving them behind but I had been hopeful that they might help me find them. All in all-- the hotel and service were "ok" nothing special.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lckychrm
Javier B, General Manager at COMO Metropolitan Miami Beach, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear lckychrm,

I regret hearing of your experience not living up to expectation. I can assure you, the experience you had is far from the standard we hold ourselves to. Our design is inspired by minimalistic luxuries with clean lines and an absence of 'clutter' or anything unneccessary in every space. All details from the service and lost and found issues are items you will have to allow me to address directly with our team.

If you have the chance, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to further discuss your visit and how we can perhaps make your next stay more enjoyable. Specific areas where improvements can be made will greatly help us enhance our product and the experience you receive.

If your schedule permits, please do give us a call at 30-695-3600 and ask to speak with me directly.

Many thanks,