“Suites is a jewel in hiding”

Suites on South Beach Miami
Ranked #108 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 21 December 2008

I had an excellent visit to Miami recently and my stay at suites made it all the more enjoyable. Although the hotel is a little hard to find in the end thats what makes it even more enjoyable, suites is a small hotel that caters more to the personal privacy and enjoyment of its guests. The rooms are large, up to date as far as furniture and electronics (i loved the plasma tv) and very well cleaned. Every staff member that i encountered was more than friendly and willing to help me, directions, reservations, whatever i needed. One gentleman working the front desk recommended me to an excellent italian restaurant right up the street. Parking could be an issue if you decide not to use the Garage or valet service but thats a problem that is easily solved. All in all i had a great time and for the price you will not find a better room, like i previously stated the hotel is small and doesnt have the traditional amenities as a larger or corporate hotel would, the size and comfort of the rooms as well as the personable staff more than make up for this. I am a repeat guest and will continue going there as long as they are open and doing buisness. Thank you suites for another great time in Miami.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank freetrade

Reviewed 12 December 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 10 days in November 2008 and there were red flags from the beginning. The place was a bit difficult to find, since it does not have a clear sign on the outside. The building looks more like a government housing project, than a hotel or apartment building.

So, I will present you with my impressions, first and foremost of the front desk staff. Remember, first impressions are important:

- At check in the guy at the reception desk seemed to be in a bad mood and rolled his eyes bothered that I was there checking in and 'wasting' his time. I thought he was having a bad day, so I let it go.
Unfortunately, all the front desk staff I encountered at the reception desk, was just as dismissing, impolite and unhappy to see a guest asking for simple directions. Their facial expressions were like: 'OK, now what is it?'
They rotate shifts and there is no security at the building. There is one attendant in particular that every night he was on his shift, he would have his wife or girlfriend next to him massaging his back or feeding him food while he sat with his feet up on the desk.
In some instances they were involved in very vulgar displays of affection (just to call them something). While I don't blame him for spending time with his significant other, I believe it is very unprofessional to behave in that fashion at work and in front of the hotel guests.
One night I asked this guy for change and to let me in to the back of the building to access the laundry machines. He told me the machines were out of order and they wouldn't be fixed until morning and I would have to go to the Laundromat around the corner to get change. Again, his lady friend was spending the night there with him, so I interpreted his reply as a 'don't bother me, I'm busy'.
The next morning I asked the same guy if the machines were fixed in front of another member of the front desk staff. His reply was defensive and combative: When were they not working? I told you that!? I told you that!?
After that exchange, I quickly learned this ‘hotel’ has very poor management and they must hire pretty much any thug that comes off the street asking for a job.

Now I will tell you about the room:

-The room was big and spacious with sticky tile floors and a somewhat comfortable queen size bed, but no dresser and the phone and nightstand were positioned at the other end of the room.
I stayed there in late fall during an unusually cold week. This place has a wall mounted A/C, but no heater. Temperatures at night were about 50-52 degrees Fahrenheit, so I was cold. To top that, they made the bed up with only sheets and a thin cotton blanket, no comforter. I had to request an extra blanket every night and I slept with pants and t-shirt on.

There was a galley kitchen with a rudimentary microwave, a stained coffee maker, a refrigerator with sticky semi-clean shelves and a small table and chairs they tried to pass for an eating area.

I must remark on how all the appliances and furnishings throughout the room were stained by splatters of white paint matching the walls of the room. This made evident the fact that when in need of a paint job, the staff can't even bother to cover or remove the furnishings from the room. I thought of this as being a sign of things to come concerning the cleanliness and sanitization of the premises.

The bathroom was big and spacious in keeping with the spirit of the studio sized rooms. However, there was mold and rust on the walls, metal soap shelves, faucets, shower head and shower curtain.

Now, I will tell you about the housekeeping staff:

-The chamber maids are very friendly and personable. These ladies try to do the best they can to accommodate the guests. Their service was the only good thing about this hotel. My every request to the housekeeping ladies was answered and followed up with a smiling and friendly attitude.

The only downside to the housekeeping area is: the lack of direction, help and supervision from a competent manager.

To start with, the hotel does not provide them with a uniform, but instead they wear a sort of a reddish robe. They do not wear hairnets, so every morning after they 'cleaned' the room I would find their hairs on the floor, the bedding or the kitchen area. It was bothersome and almost disgusting, but as I said before: I do not blame them. I blame absence of an invested manager on the premises.

Now, the location:

-This place is located right in South Beach. There are a lot of restaurants on Collins Avenue on either side of the hotel.
There is 'Cafe del Sol' that advertises its half price dinners and drinks and has a cute patio where you can people watch while you eat.
There is an Asian restaurant across the street where you can get scrumptious soups for almost nothing. Also around the corner on 14th Street next to the gas station there is a place called 'La Sandwicherie' where you can have a meal sized sandwich on a french baguette or on a croissant.
If you don't want to go too far, just to the left of the entrance to the suites there is a Subway sandwich shop.
The beach is just a short walk over to Ocean Drive, Lincoln road is a few long blocks away and the Wolfsoninan museum is near by as well. If you walk a block behind the hotel to Washington Avenue you can go anywhere in the city by bus ($2.00 per ride $0.50 to transfer).

In summary,
here are the DO’s and DO NOT’s about this hotel:

-Do NOT expect help from the front desk, they don’t even answer the phone if you call from the room.
-Do NOT stay more than a weekend at this place if at all.
-Do NOT expect to have a good experience at this hotel.
-Do NOT book this hotel if you wish to have a good vacation experience, if you plan on staying for more than a couple of nights or have any allergies of any kind.

-DO stay away from the staff at the front desk.
-DO expect to be disappointed if you stay here.
-DO your homework and research this hotel more thoroughly, a word of friendly advise.
-DO your research and look for other options. There are plenty of other budget hotels in South Beach.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
5  Thank ItamarMX
Reviewed 9 December 2008

The location of the hotel is great. Free parking is available on the streets from 10pm to 9am. After that, you may consider parking at the parking lot across the street. The hotel is just a few blocks away from the beach. It is clean and decent.

However, the is no "real" door to your room/apartment. There is a glass screen on the door and some blinds on it. So it is quite bright in your room as the lights from outside your rooms will shine in. Also, it was quite noisy for us. Even though there were no party, some guy was watching a video next door and we could hear all the sound effects till 3am!

One thing to note is that there is no real reception area. You check in through a real estate office. Although the guy in the reception area was very nice and friendly to us.

On the overall, we get what we paid for...

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2008

The Suites isn't really a hotel, it's more like you're renting a mini apt. Don't expect any service at all, and I mean none. There's one guy who looked to be about 21 sitting in the main office, who checked us in and gave us the room key. Other than the maid (who only cleaned half our room one of the 4 days we were there), there was no one else that I could identify as being a staff person.

The good: large, fairly well kept room. Great location, about a block from the beach. Mini kitchenette with a full sized fridge, microwave and bowls, utensils. Very inexpensive.

The bad: absolutely no service at all. I called the 'front desk' the night before we were leaving and asked about a cab and the guy said someone would be available to call us one even though we were leaving at 6am. Not so much, the guy was asleep in the office when I went to go find him. There is a lot of noise pollution. There is no interior hallway for your door to open into and you can hear everything outside. One night, I was woken up at 3am by a man having the loudest cell phone conversation I've ever heard (if I ever find out who you are, I am kicking your ass). Garbage trucks come by pretty early and they're pretty loud too.

If you don't need the whole hotel thing and would like to save money, I would rec'd the Suites.

Oh, a couple of random things. The place has no sign, look for a 'South Beach Rentals' sign instead. And the bathroom and closet doors were improperly fit for the openings, we had to push our hips into the doors to get them to close. That's just sloppy work.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2008

I usually stay at The Kent which is a sister property to the The Suites. I was reffered over by The Kent when they where booked. Both hotels are great! They are affordable and kept very clean. It is above what you pay for. If you are looking for a resort stay at The Shore Club (if you are willing to spend 5oo + a night). The Suites were great. My room was a basic Jr Suite It was huge with a kitchen, walkin closet, large bathroom and terrace. Great location too! The staff is so friendly and helpful. They always remember me when I come back.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank dcen219
Reviewed 5 November 2008

The Suites on South Beach was a great place to stay. The room was large and modern with all the amenities you need for a great vacation. Also the room were kept very clean by the friendly house maids. This is the perfect location for SOBE, one block back from Ocean Drive and step out your door and there is a lot of activity right there, from restaurants, to bars, to clubs and shopping.
Would stay again, no problem.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank gavinjsain
Reviewed 2 November 2008

We went to this hotel last year and was very happy with the choice. At least the rooms we had was very quiet and clean with extremely comfortable beds, and the location of this hotel is very close to the beach.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family