“I liked this hotel!”

Suites on South Beach Miami
Ranked #115 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I stayed in this hotel in April 2009 and I really liked it. As they said in preview reviews it don't look like a hotel, because it has an small rental office at the street level. There is not a front desk, but the employees work for the hotel. The only thing I didn't like was that they said they have valet parking and it's not included. You have to pay aprox 20 dls per day or park at the street or the parking lot that is infront.
The rooms are very spaceful and clean.
The best of this hotel is that is one block away of Ocean Drive and aprox 6 blocks of Lincoln Road.
I recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Npmv54

Reviewed 22 April 2009

As I arrived to the Hotel I was greeted by a very friendly and helpful front desk person. He was very helpful and gave me information for different tours while I waited for check in time. When I arrived back to the hotel all of my bags where kindly placed in the hotel for me. I was very impressed with the service. You would never guess by just seeing the Hotel from the outside how beautiful the rooms are and the service.. Definitely a Hidden Gem. I stayed in the one Bedroom Suite... Completely beautiful.. It had a full Kitchen, Beautiful bathroom..Looks almost like the bathroom was remodeled. I felt very secure at the suites, chances are I will Definitely stay at the Suites Hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bgigi123
Reviewed 12 April 2009

I've been to Miami about 8 times and I'm always looking for a good deal. I usually stay in the Kent Hotel (who also owns this one) but I decided to try something new this time. The Suites on South Beach is the best hotel I've stayed in for less than $100 per night. The rooms are new & clean, the location is perfect, and they are suites so you get a kitchen too. The housekeepers are very friendly and the front office staff is helpful. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a deal!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank candijay45
Reviewed 28 January 2009

i had mixed reviews when i read the other reviews, The suites are spacious they look clean at first glance however on further inspection they are not as clean as you would think! The check in/reception is a 24hour car rental/excursion place down below, when asking questions they were not the most helpful and we had to ask for a taxi to be phoned when we left in the early hours of the morning! The location is great just one street from the beach if thats what you intend on doing, it is far from the aquarium and the animal jungle and taxis are very expensive iin Miami! You are next to a main road aswell so its noisy!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 January 2009

I stayed at the Suites on South Beach for three nights over New Year's Eve. I booked it because it was recommended by a local friend, and the price was reasonable compared to others in the area.

I was very nervous, after reading some of the reviews, but was pleasantly surprised by the room. We were in a King room on the first floor, at the end of the walk way (#10). The room was a very nice size, bed was ok, with a nice little kitchenette area with full size fridge, sink, and some plates, glasses, silverware, etc. The only furniture, other than the bed, were two nightstands with drawers and a little cafe table and chair, plus a decint size closet. Everything seemed clean. The bathroom in this particular room was strange-- very large, but no bath or shower curtain/divider-- just a showerhead coming out of the wall on one end of the bathroom. Surprisingly, it didn't get water all over the bathroom as I feared.

My major problem with our room was noise. Every morning (except New Year's Day) we were awoken around 7 am by what sounded like a garbage truck eating an entire car. The loud, metallic, crunching noise would go on for at least half an hour. That, coupled with no blackout shades, made it pretty much impossible to sleep in. Also, one day of our stay housekeeping left a very questionable looking towel for us, but it was replaced the next day.

One other thing to note, while our check in was very smooth and quick, one morning we walked out and a couple said they had been waiting to check in for 30 minutes and no one was at the front desk. Also, it seems different rooms vary greatly in size and layout so I can only speak for #10. Overall, I would hesitate to stay here again only because of the noise, but if it was the best deal, I probably would.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2008

I had an excellent visit to Miami recently and my stay at suites made it all the more enjoyable. Although the hotel is a little hard to find in the end thats what makes it even more enjoyable, suites is a small hotel that caters more to the personal privacy and enjoyment of its guests. The rooms are large, up to date as far as furniture and electronics (i loved the plasma tv) and very well cleaned. Every staff member that i encountered was more than friendly and willing to help me, directions, reservations, whatever i needed. One gentleman working the front desk recommended me to an excellent italian restaurant right up the street. Parking could be an issue if you decide not to use the Garage or valet service but thats a problem that is easily solved. All in all i had a great time and for the price you will not find a better room, like i previously stated the hotel is small and doesnt have the traditional amenities as a larger or corporate hotel would, the size and comfort of the rooms as well as the personable staff more than make up for this. I am a repeat guest and will continue going there as long as they are open and doing buisness. Thank you suites for another great time in Miami.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank freetrade
Reviewed 12 December 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 10 days in November 2008 and there were red flags from the beginning. The place was a bit difficult to find, since it does not have a clear sign on the outside. The building looks more like a government housing project, than a hotel or apartment building.

So, I will present you with my impressions, first and foremost of the front desk staff. Remember, first impressions are important:

- At check in the guy at the reception desk seemed to be in a bad mood and rolled his eyes bothered that I was there checking in and 'wasting' his time. I thought he was having a bad day, so I let it go.
Unfortunately, all the front desk staff I encountered at the reception desk, was just as dismissing, impolite and unhappy to see a guest asking for simple directions. Their facial expressions were like: 'OK, now what is it?'
They rotate shifts and there is no security at the building. There is one attendant in particular that every night he was on his shift, he would have his wife or girlfriend next to him massaging his back or feeding him food while he sat with his feet up on the desk.
In some instances they were involved in very vulgar displays of affection (just to call them something). While I don't blame him for spending time with his significant other, I believe it is very unprofessional to behave in that fashion at work and in front of the hotel guests.
One night I asked this guy for change and to let me in to the back of the building to access the laundry machines. He told me the machines were out of order and they wouldn't be fixed until morning and I would have to go to the Laundromat around the corner to get change. Again, his lady friend was spending the night there with him, so I interpreted his reply as a 'don't bother me, I'm busy'.
The next morning I asked the same guy if the machines were fixed in front of another member of the front desk staff. His reply was defensive and combative: When were they not working? I told you that!? I told you that!?
After that exchange, I quickly learned this ‘hotel’ has very poor management and they must hire pretty much any thug that comes off the street asking for a job.

Now I will tell you about the room:

-The room was big and spacious with sticky tile floors and a somewhat comfortable queen size bed, but no dresser and the phone and nightstand were positioned at the other end of the room.
I stayed there in late fall during an unusually cold week. This place has a wall mounted A/C, but no heater. Temperatures at night were about 50-52 degrees Fahrenheit, so I was cold. To top that, they made the bed up with only sheets and a thin cotton blanket, no comforter. I had to request an extra blanket every night and I slept with pants and t-shirt on.

There was a galley kitchen with a rudimentary microwave, a stained coffee maker, a refrigerator with sticky semi-clean shelves and a small table and chairs they tried to pass for an eating area.

I must remark on how all the appliances and furnishings throughout the room were stained by splatters of white paint matching the walls of the room. This made evident the fact that when in need of a paint job, the staff can't even bother to cover or remove the furnishings from the room. I thought of this as being a sign of things to come concerning the cleanliness and sanitization of the premises.

The bathroom was big and spacious in keeping with the spirit of the studio sized rooms. However, there was mold and rust on the walls, metal soap shelves, faucets, shower head and shower curtain.

Now, I will tell you about the housekeeping staff:

-The chamber maids are very friendly and personable. These ladies try to do the best they can to accommodate the guests. Their service was the only good thing about this hotel. My every request to the housekeeping ladies was answered and followed up with a smiling and friendly attitude.

The only downside to the housekeeping area is: the lack of direction, help and supervision from a competent manager.

To start with, the hotel does not provide them with a uniform, but instead they wear a sort of a reddish robe. They do not wear hairnets, so every morning after they 'cleaned' the room I would find their hairs on the floor, the bedding or the kitchen area. It was bothersome and almost disgusting, but as I said before: I do not blame them. I blame absence of an invested manager on the premises.

Now, the location:

-This place is located right in South Beach. There are a lot of restaurants on Collins Avenue on either side of the hotel.
There is 'Cafe del Sol' that advertises its half price dinners and drinks and has a cute patio where you can people watch while you eat.
There is an Asian restaurant across the street where you can get scrumptious soups for almost nothing. Also around the corner on 14th Street next to the gas station there is a place called 'La Sandwicherie' where you can have a meal sized sandwich on a french baguette or on a croissant.
If you don't want to go too far, just to the left of the entrance to the suites there is a Subway sandwich shop.
The beach is just a short walk over to Ocean Drive, Lincoln road is a few long blocks away and the Wolfsoninan museum is near by as well. If you walk a block behind the hotel to Washington Avenue you can go anywhere in the city by bus ($2.00 per ride $0.50 to transfer).

In summary,
here are the DO’s and DO NOT’s about this hotel:

-Do NOT expect help from the front desk, they don’t even answer the phone if you call from the room.
-Do NOT stay more than a weekend at this place if at all.
-Do NOT expect to have a good experience at this hotel.
-Do NOT book this hotel if you wish to have a good vacation experience, if you plan on staying for more than a couple of nights or have any allergies of any kind.

-DO stay away from the staff at the front desk.
-DO expect to be disappointed if you stay here.
-DO your homework and research this hotel more thoroughly, a word of friendly advise.
-DO your research and look for other options. There are plenty of other budget hotels in South Beach.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo