“WTH?”
Review of James Hotel

James Hotel
Ranked #127 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I cannot believe my eyes with all these good reviews! Were you all sense-less during your stay?! lol While in the room at one point I had to use the restroom. It quickly entered my mind to think about where I could go to the restroom as if I somehow canceled the idea of using the room's facilities. It was that disgusting. The door to the next room was puttied over to seal it up, hinge and all! Cracks in the walls, patch-worked walls, eclectic decor is fine but it shouldn't look like it was pulled from the local landfill. I felt disgusting and dirty just walking down the halls to the room and felt the need to put a towel down on the bed before sitting. The elevator is a serious hazard and to say the least, unforgettable. To top off the experience, they play musical cars when ppl need to come and go. Our car was parked in the far front of the line so the woman at the desk asked this guy in the lobby (with a guitar on his back), and my husband to move the vehicles behind ours so we could get ours out. The whole time I'm just imagining what if that was my car and this lady just hands over the keys to some dude in the lobby? AND WE WERE JUST VISITING A GUEST THERE! LOL NycGuy2014, a Gem?! Really? Ritz, Palaces, Four Seasons? Just as nice? If you're looking for a deal, go with AirBnB.

Room Tip: Search AirBnB and you'll fair much much better. You can see photos on my InstaGram page: tammya...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tammy R

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We ended our cruise with a couple days in South Beach. The James Hotel was one of the lowest price options. The location turned out to be perfect. About 3 blocks to the beach and only a block to the Lincoln shopping strip.
Close to many activities, bars and restaurants.
Staff was very friendly. The owner, Mr. Torre was very friendly and informative.
The decor is unique, loved the old elevator.
The hotel is old, elevator is slow, rooms are noisy.
But, all in all, a nice place to stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeff T
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel twice during our last stay in Florida
The hotel is located close to the beach very central
The staff is very helpful and friendly free parking is included
The hotel is awesome in style, but it is old and a bit worn-out
But I will recommend it

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Jens H
Reviewed 29 January 2014

pic.r misleading.our room was nothing like was shown on the pictures that are posted.I call that false advertisement.Incident happened on premisse and they would not give me an incident report to file.The manager talked really bad towards me.He said that I was nothing but trouble.I may be trouble but what has that got to do with filling out a report. I was hurt on thier property and he laid me out.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank pat772014
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Do Not Book this hotel! The reviews shown are mixed between the James and the Royal James. This is why reviews are either really good or really bad.
The James Hotel is very simple and not much more than a hostel. The rooms are not what most people would consider acceptable. After booking three rooms and seeing what we were getting we cancelled all and found another hotel. No problem with the last minute cancel. My only real comment is "Just Don't".

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ken N
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We came across this hotel and booked a room for my father who is 85 and myself for a month and looked forward to staying there and wish we would have read the reviews . Well the 2 days before we arrived the James hotel called and said they switched us to the Berkley Shore on Collins avenue which they also own and I didn't think much of it but I asked if the rooms were the same and they said they were so nice and beautiful. Well we arrived and went to the Berkley Shore and it was a terrible dirty hotel and ceiling falling in and druggies in the lobby and my father and I went and saw the room and it was a total mess and bugs so we said we would not stay there and they told us to go to the James hotel and asked to be moved there so we did and arrived at the James hotel and and the owner a old man Mr Torre if I have the spelling right said if we wanted to change hotels there was a charge of $700 more for our stay- I was shocked but there was nothing we could do as we felt stuck at that point of not wanting to stay at the Berkley Shore. Well the room at the james was so dirty and old and mildew all over and floor tiles missing and people doing drugs in the halls and our stay could not end soon enough. The Police were there so many times over druggies and other problems , so everyday we left the hotel for the day and dreaded coming back in the evenings. The owner was so terrible and the hotel should not have been open at all from the condition. I wish we would have just left and went to another hotel but they had our money and would not give it back to us and we felt really stuck, If I had to do it over I would have insisted on my money back from the second we walked in and called the police to solve the matter as that man Torre who owned it was that stubborn. Please never stay there at the James or the other place they own The Berkley Shore on Collins avenue. Torre is running dirty hotels for drug addicts and not meant for tourists at all and he tries this bait and switch game with both hotels and the pictures on the internet are not the real thing ! Please be careful !!! don't stay there.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JackPutnak
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Great hotel and location on Miami Beach . Recommend the hotel room overlooking Miami Beach.
Service was excellent especially at the beach with the individual baskets with bottle water and fruit. Enjoyed the Florida Cookery.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business