“Wannabe 4 star hotel”
Review of Hotel Croydon

Hotel Croydon
Ranked #46 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We spent 4 nights at Croydon. They have a long way to go to even reach for 3 star quality service. When we arrived the valet parking guy was not very welcoming when we wanted to park the car by the entrance to check in and unload the bags. He said we couldn't park the car there and he kept on asking if we should use valet or not.
Inside it took forever to check in - no room was yet available. And it was around 4 pm.
We had to wait 30 more minutes after finishing check in before the room was ready.
At check in they asked for ID of all the persons in the room. They took a copy of it and said it was just for safety reasons, in case we had lost our room key.
The rooms are very nice but the door into it is not soundproof at all. You can hear everything people say in the hallway and in the other rooms. And when the cleaners start vacuuming outside the room 7 am, there is no point trying to sleep anymore.
Breakfast can best be described as fightclub. Shortage of everything all the time. If there is bread, jam or eggs are missing. If there is jam or eggs, bread is missing. And if there is both bread and jam, plates are missing. It could take over an hour to fill your plate with an ok breakfast because of all the waiting. A lady on the table next to us said she had waited 1 hour for coffee.
The sun deck however, is a very nice place to enjoy the Miami sun.
In our bathroom there was nothing stopping the water from flooding outside the shower area. It also flooded the hallway of the room, so we had to use all our towels to stop the water.
When checking out we wanted the copy of our ID returned, but now they said it was hotel policy to file these. They also said that all hotels in the US has this policy. We had to raise our voice and demand to get it back before they talked to the manager and he said we could get it back.
The staff need, as others also has mentioned, hospitality training. Not many smiles to see.
We will never go back to this hotel again.

6  Thank Erontravel
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Croydon, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Happy Friday Erontravel,

We value all of our guests feedback and thank you for sharing yours with us! We strive on providing outstanding service to all of our guests. We just opened some weeks ago so we are working on providing an outstanding product for everyone to enjoy! We wish that you would give us another chance in the future. We will make sure that your time spent with us is an all-out success!!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

all remodeled hotel, very nice rooms nicer than the pictures. the staff were very accomondating the whole hotel was great for just openinng. great location on collins ave. we walked an checked out some others in area an this one excedded them. great roof top to see city and ocean ,also great pool right off of lobby an bar. only 2 blocks from ocean an the boardwalk. we really enjoyed it, but if your looking for alot going on in the bar you may be dissappointed the bar was only hopping when they served free continental breakfast.but there is liquor store very close if needed. would of liked to stay longer would recommend if looking for more relaxed hotel.

Room Tip: the higher up the better, and facing collins ave an ocean.
2  Thank Tammy J

Hello Tammy J,

We are thankful for the time you took to share your feedback with us, regarding your recent stay! We are extremely glad that you had a 5 star time! The rooftop area is such a lovely place to hangout and practice some yoga or watch the sunrise or sunset. There is indeed a liquor store not too far from us. We will be getting our liquor license soon, and then our bar will be open for everyone to enjoy! :)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I checked out of the Hotel Croydon two days ago and I'm still talking about my stay. Prior to my arrival I contacted the hotel numerous times to make sure that they were aware I was traveling for two birthdays (including my own) and would love an upgrade. We took the complimentary shuttle to and from the hotel to the airport and be sure to note* they operate* on time! If you miss it..you must wait another hr. I spoke with Nenad the day before I arrived and as soon as I checked in he immediately remembered speaking with me and not only that, upgraded me to PH-1 w/ 2 queen beds. I must say he started my trip off right! The room fairly medium size but the beds were amazingly comfortable. We had a view that overlooked the pool area which was nice. My favorite part of the room would have to be the bathroom with an incredibly large shower. We stayed for 5days/4nights and within this time we did use their complimentary bfast that didnt have too many options other than cheese, turkey, bread, ice cold hard boiled eggs, danishes, oj and coffee. After drinking every night, a small bfast such as this suffices. The have not opened their restaurant as of yet nor do they have their liquor license so you have to use your complimentary happy hour from 7-8 at their other numerous locations. We periodically went to The Hotel Riviera that was at least a 10 min walk from the Croydon. Their staff was remarkable including Nenad as I mentioned and Lazaro. Lazaro was extremely friendly funny and helpful. The two went above and beyond to make my stay a pleasant one. The reason this property did not receive 5 stars is because of a minor check out issue that was due to a misunderstanding with housekeeping and my fairly full bottle of Patron that was thrown away two minutes after I walked out the room but did not check out yet and no one called them to clean my room. Not only that, but when the incident arose (which wasnt an incident at all) the MOD was quick to say that there were damages to the room. When I asked about what type of damages (since I work in hospitality in NYC) she quickly said "oh not damages, it's just a missing remote and ice bucket". Which the ice bucket was brought down the night before and the remote control was clearly on the side of the bed. But besides that, the housekeeping staff was nice and they left two ferrero rocher chocolates in your room daily. Sully the lovely Panamanian at the front desk was very sweet and is always smiling. As for location, its located on 38th and collins which is quiet and 30 seconds from the beach. They give you complimentary towels and beach chairs. The rooftop view is beautiful and we also had fun in their boxing/yoga room. The pool I unfortunately used the morning I left and regret not dipping in each day I was there; so relaxing. All in all this hotel definitely met every expectation I had. For my first time in Miami, I may have wanted to stay a bit closer to the action of South Beach but for peace, comfort, and a great staff, my stay was definitely worth it.

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel if you would like to receive a complimentary upgrade as well as if you...

Good Afternoon Nicole B,

We are very grateful for the time you took to share your feedback with us! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary shuttle service that we provide. Our beds are very comfortable as we use the best mattresses out there. We offer a complimentary continental breakfast for all of our guests to enjoy. The cocktail hour is able to be enjoyed at any of our sister hotels. We currently do not have our liquor license. Our team work hard to make sure that everyone is having a killer time, and that they would return! We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to stay here for two nights while visiting Miami beach after the glowing reviews on tripadvisor. However, we did not have the same experience. Like some other reviewers, I agree the hotel is not ready to open.

We checked into the hotel around 9 pm and while we were checking in, a European couple asked the front desk staff a suggestion for a steak house. The attendant suggested Carrabas Italian Grill because it's "the only restaurant in walking distance". She was not helpful or accommodating for the couple.

When we got to our room, there was no remote for the television so we asked the same front desk staff for a remote, she replied she wasn't sure she'd able to get one today because "The maintenance staff doesn't speak English and I don't speak Spanish".

Our room was on the first floor and very noisy. We constantly heard people in the lobby and waiting for the elevator. Then, at 7:20 AM, housekeeping was vacuuming right outside our door.

Additionally, the refrigerator did not work and was not fixed after we requested maintenance, the restaurant and bar are not yet open and there is no where to purchase any snacks or drinks on the property.

The rooms were very nice (new, trendy, clean) but staff needs hospitality training and the property has multiple kinks to workout.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leah_R_S

Hello Leah_R_S,

We appreciate the time you took to share your honest feedback! We do strive on providing outstanding service to all of our guests. We apologize that is not what you were given! We do offer a complimentary electric shuttle service to our other sister hotels. We have great restaurants at our sister properties. I will make sure that our front desk team is aware of your feedback! We wish that you would give us another chance in the future. We would make sure that your time spent with us is an all-out success!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

my friends came here to celebrate my birthday. it was my first time in miami and we got a good deal since the hotel had grand opening rates. as the other reviewers stated, the check in process was extremely slow. we arrived around 2:15, so we went to the pool and walked to the nearby walgreens to pass the time. once we got back at it was 2.:58 and the line to check in was near the door. the lobby is not that big, so it doesnt take much to get crowded. once we checked in my friends noticed there were towels left on the bed and trash in the bathroom. i called downstairs and they said they would send someone up to remove the items. i left my friends to go and explore the gym and rooftop deck. when i came back to the room which was about 15 min later, my key didnt work and they still had not been to the room to remove the towels left by other guests. i took my friends keys to see if they worked and they did not. i went downstairs and thania was very apologetic and explained that someone else had that room and did not want it so they switched it but they left their towels in the room. she upgraded us to a larger room with a view and we were happy! everyone was very nice, including the doormen joel who was always smiling and helpful. the cleaning staff doesnt speak much english but they did try to help until someone who understood came around. it is a little misleading about the happy hour on the website and the paperwork given at check in because the restaurant is not open yet. the young lady at check in did tell us we could go to the sister hotels for happy hour and we did go check out the catalina for happy hour. the hotel is further down on collins away from the main action, but we caught taxis and even the bus for a quick and cheap way to hit south beach. the hotel is beautifully decorated, i loved the bathroom. it has a modern touch and everyone was really nice and helpful. the only reason i didnt give it five stars is because the hotel charged me $12 for a towel my friend used to wipe up a drink she wasted. when i called, i was told it was nothing they could do because the towel could not be reused. that was ridiculous and i didnt have the strength to go back and forth. i think all the kinks will get worked out since they are just opening.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Good Afternoon tanettew,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, regarding your recent visit! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! :) We do offer great deals, for a wonderful time! It is constructive feedback such as yours that allows us to make the necessary changes we need to. We are constantly working to improve our product to make sure that everyone is having a splendid time! We advise guests not to place their phones next to their cell phones. This will automatically deactivate the key cards. I am glad that you were able to experience the great service that our staff provide! We hope that you would stay with us again in the future! We will make sure that your time spent with us is an all-out success!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

A really good quality hotel at a very competitive price. Despite not yet having a bar or restaurant the hotel was very accommodating and even provided a complimentary breakfast which was most unexpected.the rooms are all newly refurbished to a very high standard and the hotel itself is very close to the beach. We would book here again without hesitation given our very positive experience of both the staff and we hope o visit again soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Steve O

Hello Steve O,

We would like to take the time to thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We offer unbeatable prices, for a great time! We will have a bar and restaurant very soon. We do offer a complimentary continental breakfast for all of our guests to enjoy! We are just a convenient block away from the beach. Please come back for another great time here at Hotel Croydon!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I decided at the last minute to go to Miami. We were able to get a good deal because the hotel was in the middle of its grand opening. In short, the hotel was not ready to open.
As other reviews have stated, the check in process took quite a long time. Once we checked in, we dropped off our stuff, changed and went to dinner. When we returned it was about 11:15 PM. I went to unpack and realized our room did not have a closet?! I looked around a few times, and called the front desk. Lawrence at the front desk said I must be mistaken, I said no I don't see one. He replied, "That's awkward, oh wait you are in 609 it doesn't have a closet." When asked how I could hang up my clothes, he said we could switch rooms or he would think of something. A half hour later, I called back and he said that all the rooms were full and he would talk to his supervisor. At midnight I just put my stuff over the back of the chair and went to bed. At 12:30 the front desk called and woke me up. He said there is nothing they can do and I can just put my stuff on a chair. Could they have at least told me there was no closet at check in? Or offer a garnet rack?
Day 2, the beach access was nice, but we went to get ice to put in a cooler. The ice machines were not installed, we had to go to the front desk to get ice. When we checked in, we were given a sheet that said there was a happy hour at 7. We knew that there wasn't a restaurant, but it was not clear that there was no bar service either. When we asked at the desk at 7 about Happy Hour, the front desk said it was not available. We could look on our key and go to one of the hotels listed there. They did not say where any of the hotels were. Also, why was it on the sheet they gave us when we checked in?
Also, house keeping kept knocking on our door, even when we asked them to come back later 3 times. When my husband finally opened the door, the housekeeper handed him one small bottle of water...
Day 3, that evening I asked the front desk about the free airport shuttle. I was told the shuttle comes every hour, or I could reserve one for a specific time. I told the woman at the front desk we needed to leave by 11. She replied it sometimes takes 15-20 for a shuttle to come. So I reserved one for 10:45 AM. I asked twice if that should work. She said it wouldn't be a problem.
Day of departure. We had an enjoyable morning by the pool. When we checked out no one asked about our stay. We asked about the shuttle. The same woman I had reserved the shuttle said we should have been down at 10. Another man at the counter said we could get the 11:00 shuttle. At 11, I asked again they said it would be about a half hour. My husband asked for them to call a car. I went back to the woman I reserved the shuttle with and asked what happened. I specifically asked what time we needed to be down. She asked what time the flight was, I told here 12:30, and she said oh it should be fine. I told her I was frustrated as I specifically asked when I needed to be there and now we had to pay for a cab, not the best way to end our vacation.
Overall, I wanted to give a 3 star review with the other issues, but the issue with the shuttle was ridiculous! It seems like the property is not quite ready to open. Also, the sun deck description is misleading. The staff seems nice, but they do not seem to actually be able to help solve problems…..

Room Tip: Ask if your room has a closet!!
7  Thank Meghan S

Hello there Meghan S,

We value all of our guests feedback and thank you for sharing yours with us! We apologize that your time spent with us was not a 5 star one! The check in process has been taking a bit longer then usual as we have had issues with our system. Our IT department was aware of this, and they were doing the best they could to make sure that the issue was resolved. I will make sure to inform our staff about communicating with our guests. We are working on providing an outstanding time to all of our guests! Complimentary cocktail hour is included nightly but we currently do not have a liquor license. You are able to enjoy the cocktail hour at any of our sister properties. We have the electric car that will pick you up as well. We are in our first weeks of being open and ask for your understanding that it takes time to make things perfect. Please come back and give us another chance in the future. I would like to personally handle your reservation and make sure that your time spent with us is an all-out success!