“Avoid At Any And All Costs”

Casa Grande Suite Hotel of South Beach
Ranked #133 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 16 December 2011

This trip was suppose to be the trip of a life time. This was the first time that we ever came to Miami. Before we left, we checked the hotel on multiple sites and saw that the hotel was rated 5 out of 5 on most website, which made us feel at ease when we booked the hotel. Little did we know....

Any ways we arrive at the hotel. The lobby was small but well kept (and given that I'm not sleeping in the lobby.. I don't want to spend too much time discussing this) and soon after we head towards our room.

We get off the elevator (4th floor) and there was stale air as if the ventilation was broken and a dead animal was put on that floor. We ran towards our room and opened it. I WAS ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED! Dirty carpets (threads coming out of them), paint chipping of the wall, bathroom is terrible shape (no lock on the bathroom door), and a feeling that doesn't feel like home AT ALL. At one point, we saw a cockroach in the hallway and all of us had decided that we do not walk bare footed in the hotel room. YES THAT BAD! This was room 406.

We then complained and moved to the 3rd floor. We got room 311. This room was even worse because in 406 there was ventilation within the room, but 311 had its AC broken!!!!

We moved again to room 210. This was the best room of all. ANYONE WHO READS THIS SHOULD CHOOSE ROOM 210 IF YOU MADE THE MISTAKE OF CHOOSING THIS HOTEL IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! This room doesn't have locks on the bathroom, but the room is really big. The beds look clean and tidy but the closet is broken. The drawers in the bathroom are also broken.

Overall I would NEVER EVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL EVER AGAIN!! The only perks of staying at this hotel is that its on Ocean Drive which is next to the ocean. I would prefer to walk 10 blocks had I known the condition of this hotel.

I do have to give credit where it is deserved though. The assistant at the front desk was EXTREMELY HELPFUL. He has morning shifts and I believe his name is Ronnie? I'm sorry for forgetting but he can really make your day and take that extra step to make your trip worth while.

However none the less the hotel was not up to my expectations.

We travelled in a group of 6 and we came from Western Canada.

Room Tip: Choose Room 210!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
17  Thank Jimmy H
There are newer reviews for Casa Grande Suite Hotel of South Beach

Reviewed 1 December 2011

This was my husband and I's first time in Miami and we werent sure which hotel to go with or what locations were best. A friend suggested we go with this place and I immediately read the reviews and was very discouraged. I decided to go with it anyway and we couldnt have made a better choice, so much so that we are planning our next visit as we speak. The hotel was great and the location was even better. People kept talking about management but Marissa was absolutely great! She was helpful and enthusiastic and gave great tips on places and activities we must try. Even with the weather being uncooperative for the majority of our trip we still had a great time. This was the best vacation we had to date and it all started with a great hotel.

PS...this is my second time writing this review. I wrote one right after we came back but it didnt post.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Monique B
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Paper thin walls allowed us to listen to the television next door. Room overlooked a trash-filled alley. Roaches made using the bathroom an interesting experience. Desk clerk acted like she was doing us a favor by taking our money.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Xavier M
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We rented 3 rooms from Casa Grande for a 1-night pre-cruise stay. After searching for months for a hotel on the beach at a decent price, Casa Grande came up at an affordable rate the day before we left.

The first thing I have to say is that the staff is terrific, especially Ronnie, who is awesome. They watched our bags for us before our room was ready, and also the day after the cruise. Great staff that actually cares about the customers.

Location is perfect, 8th and Ocean, right in the heart of everything. Get ready to be harassed by food vendors, but those who have been here before already expect that.

The rooms were very large and came with a full kitchen. They weren't done in typical South Beach decor, but were fine for our stay. One thing I found unusual was that the hotel spent tons of money putting granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and multiple flat screen TV's in each room, but overlooked basics such as replacing old/stained carpets, and painting the bare white and marked up walls. Also, the walls are paper thin, we could hear everything the room next to us said-- but with older hotels, I suppose this is the nrom.

I'd stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Room 407 had 2 flat screen TV's.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MonkeyMan002
CasaGrandeManager834, General Manager at Casa Grande Suite Hotel of South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2015

Dear Past Guest,
Thank you for your 5 star review with us on TripAdvisor! We appreciate the time you took to post about your stay. We also thank you for acknowledging the wonderful staff we have. We pride outselves on customer satisfaction and want everyone to feel like they are part of our Casa Grande family.

We are thrilled to know that your stay was a pleasant one and we hope to welcome you back again to your home away from home soon.

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa"
Warm Regards,
Marissa Suarez

Reviewed 13 October 2011

I was inspired. Convenient , directly across from the ocean. Tons of food available right outside the Front door. Great service, very warm, thorough and friendly. Suprisinngly quiet. I wanted to move n permanently. ( smile). I felt right at home. I traveled to Miami solo with an infant. Convenience and ease was very important. I canceled another reservation at a furnished condo upon arrival due to some inconvenient feature (2cd floor condo, outdoor stairs , no ramp or elevatore)and I'm so glad I did. I was so blessed to go right around the corner and stay at the Casa Grande. It was a million times better. I would recommend it to any one.

Room Tip: It's better if your room does have windows over the alley way.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Ragenia W
Reviewed 7 October 2011

First time to Miami and didnt know what to expect. The hotel was in a great location right opposite from the beach and near all the restaurants and bars. The room was massive, lots of space and the biggest bed I have ever slept in. We didnt have any cooking utensils in the kitchen apart from a toaster but I think if you asked you could have some sent up. We ended up using the toaster with some pop tarts for breakfast as we found the bars quite expensive in South Beach. Its useful to hang about and look at the restaurant menus as they will usually offer you some sort of deal 20% off or a free drink. Taxi's are expensive and I think we got ripped off with the one to the airport who refused to put us on a meter and said it was $38 flat fee this was more than it cost from the train station which was further away. So ask before getting in. Staff at the hotel were very friendly and gave advice freely. We asked about tipping as it is the custom to tip in America but in South Beach all the bills had service included and we didnt know if we should tip as well. They said no unless you had fantastic service. Visit the News Cafe only a couple of buildings down. They do happy hour 4-7 which takes the sting of the drink prices and they have a very friendly bar man and a great Earth Web cam pointing at the street if you want to wave to friends and family.

All in all the hotel and trip was great - watch out for the $25 dollar a day resort fee as TAX is on top of that

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kitstar
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed in this hotel in August.

The hotel was great fro what we needed.

The apartments were really big, I wouldn't call them 5 star but then again are you paying for it?
They are perfectly acceptable to stay in, in that regard. Clean & Tidy.

Suprisingly it was Monday night that seemed to be the loudest in regards to music downstairs and all other nights were reasonably acceptable.

We were provided with Biscuits, fruit and coffee in the foyer every morning as discribed.
Towels were available for use at the beach and they were great.

Now, I've had some bad beds in my time but it's the bed that would prevent me from ever coming back to stay at this hotel. The mattress was cheap and nasty and I'm sure the fibres/Spring did not run in any one direction on this mattress and hence, sleep was awful!!!! The 2nd and 3rd night I rotated with a friend to sleep on the couch.
I would say this is the ONLY thing that would stop me from staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends