“Clean, great location, just a couple problems...”

Casa Grande Suite Hotel of South Beach
Ranked #126 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto
“Clean, great location, just a couple problems...”
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Stayed at this hotel last week for 4 nights. Great location, walk out the front door and the beach and nightlife are right there. Beware of the "tourist trap" restaurants on Ocean drive. Room was clean and spacious and it had a full kitchen.... however... no pots or pans were provided, so I'm not sure what the point is of having a full kitchen. There is a MAJOR discrepancy between information you get from calling the hotel and actually being there. On multiple occasions, false information was given to me over the phone [pots and pans in room (none), no daily resort fee (close to $10 per day)]. So be careful about that and ask to speak with a number of front desk agents, not just one. Also, they boast fresh oranges every morning, never got them once. Except for the confused and misinformed staff, and the borderline bad service, this hotel is good.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank The_Dewey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 6 January 2009

I booked our reservation online for a one night stay in September. When we arrived at the hotel around 6pm, they said they had given away the last room a few minutes before. I showed them my reservation information which I had luckily printed but they said that there was nothing they could do as they had no more rooms available. They said that it sometimes takes awhile for the reservation info to show up on the system which was completely ridiculous and unacceptable to me because once they take my reservation with confirmation number and everything, I expect to have a room "reserved" for me when I get there. Bottom line was that they had given away my room for no reason. They proceeded to try to find me a room in a different hotel on the strip. But it was difficult because it was a Saturday night in Summer time. They finally said that there was room available at the Park Central, but that they only had a suite available which was, of course, more expensive than the room I had reserved at Casa Grande.

I spoke to the hotel manager (Melissa) and she had no explanation or solution as to why this mixup had occurred. She also refused to put us up on another hotel or pay for the difference in price. She did, however, offered to give us a free night if we ever came back.

We decided to give the Casa Grande another shot and had Melissa, the manager, book us for one night in December. This time, they did have our reservation when we arrived. The room was a very good size which included a kitchen, a living room, the bedroom, and bathroom. The room looked nice and clean. However, the walls and floors are as thin as paper. Expect a lot of noise. We went to bed around 3am and eventough the outside noise is worth mentioning, it was the noise coming from other rooms and the hallway that really annoyed us. You could hear people walking, showering, opening and closing drawers and doors, and even the maids cleaning the adjacent rooms. You could clearly hear doors slamming outside the hall. Also, our bed was really really squeaky! Can you imagine what our neighbors would have heard if my girlfriend and I would have started something that night? And to top it all off, our room window faced the alley and we had to put up with the noisy garbage trucks that morning picking up trash all the way down the alley.

Overall it was a bad experience. The only reason I don't rate this hotel as "Terrible" is because the property manager was considerate enough to offer and give us a free night to make up for the original mixup. Even tough I would expect a reputable hotel to instead put us up somewhere else with no charge under the same circumstances. Unfortunately, the hotel noisy accomodations were not enough to grant anything significantly better. This hotel is not worth the price.

• Liked — Location, large rooms
  • Disliked — reservations are not honored, rooms are extremely noisy
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bocarob
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 3 January 2009

I reserved one of the largest suite with the balcony over Ocean Drive to stay with my four friends two months before arriving. I exchanged several emails with Marissa Torchio, apparently the manager of the hotel.
When arrived, we found that our suite was no more available and they relocated us in two smaller suites: reason that we have been told was that owner of the hotel prolonged his staying (ridiculous).
We protested and pretended at least a discount on the rate but got only few dollars less than the nominal rate.
We felt that our bigger suite was given to somebody else at higher price than we were going to pay with our booking because there was a major art exhibition in Miami in those days and all the hotels were full, and they never felt to try to inform me before our arrival.
Suites are however large (even the standard ones we got), but if you get ones having the bedroom with the window over Ocean Drive can be a *REAL* problem to sleep.
Also, there were drug dealers offering to buy their stuff just in front of the hotel entrance: that was not a problem, it's Miami, but consider it if you are annoyed by that kind of things.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Our reservation was not honored
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank Fashionista1756
Scarsdale, NY
Reviewed 31 December 2008

My family of four stayed in a one-bedroom suite at Casa Grande during the Christmas holiday. The good news was that the hotel is clean, convenient and not unreasonably priced (booked through the hotel's website). Given the late-night street life on Ocean Drive, relatively little outside noise seeped in. We also learned quickly to avoid the pricy valet parking in favor of municipal lots only a few blocks away.

The problems were inside the hotel: the fire alarms went off throughout the hotel twice during our stay, once in the middle of the night, (apparently the product of some electrical issues at the adjacent restaurant). Our room (404) was directly across from the elevator and, owing to the thin internal walls, we were privy to an array of late night liaisons ... on two of our five nights, we were awakened after 2 a.m. When we mentioned it to the morning front desk clerk, we were told that we should have called the night clerk because the hotel has in the past charged extra to noisy guests. Other issues included a series of defective room keycards and inadequate bathroom water pressure.

Hopefully, some of this can be chalked up to the fact that the hotel was completely full and the overall scene chaotic ...

• Liked — Convenient location, suite set-up
  • Disliked — Too many glitches (fire alarms, defective keys, inside noise)
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Colorado
Reviewed 4 November 2008

We stayed at the Casa Grande because it was in the right location. This was our first visit to Miami and we liked that it was in the historic art deco district. I would def. stay in this area again. The other reason we stayed here is the price was right and they allowed pets - we are traveling with our dog. I could not find another hotel in the area that allowed dogs.

I also liked that it was a spacious unit, very clean,

The only thing I did not like is that Front Desk staff, although very friendly were not knowledgeable about the area or empowered to help with issues. We extended our stay and when I saw the rate online was cheaper than what we paid for our first night I had to ask 3 times to 3 different people to get the rate honored. The front desk also felt defensive about their inability to solve my questions. This to me is a sign that their manager has not empowered them to make decisions.

I would eat at the news cafe again for breakfast and also the Italian restaurant next door.

• Liked — Pet Friendly and location
  • Disliked — Front Desk Staff was not empowered to solve issues
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank missy560
chicago
Reviewed 3 November 2008

i booked online based on other reviews and was not disappointed. it was basically a large studio with 2 queen beds, a large flat screen TV, a full kitchen, a dining room, and a decent size bathroom. we stayed 1 night before changing hotels but the owners were willing to match the price if we stayed; keep this in mind instead of reserving online and overpaying, they may reduce the price once you get down there.

• Liked — the large rooms
  • Disliked — bathroom could use a little upgrading
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 22 September 2008

After reading some of the reviews on tripadvisor.com I didn't know what to expect but was very surprised. We had what I guess is a Junior Suite - 2 queen beds, dining area, kitchen, private bath.

We booked online but the hotel had no record of us when we arrived even though we had printed off the confirmation from their website.

We were put in room #306 - which was perfect. Plenty of room, big screen LG TV two queen beds, stainless steel appliances, dining area, granite counter tops, magazines about the area, - besides a stain on the carpet - everything was great - although when booking the site said they deliver fresh oranges every day so you can squeeze your own juice - we didn't receive any -although we did have a juicer.

• Liked — The layout of the suite
  • Disliked — Valet parking is expensive & takes about 20mins to get your car- but thats expected in South Beach
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends