“Cool spot, good service in the middle of it all”

Casa Grande Suite Hotel of South Beach
Ranked #126 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Here
“Cool spot, good service in the middle of it all”
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I took a chance at staying at the Casa Grande after reading the other reviews. What I mostly read was people not having rooms available when they were arriving, but I figured that it wasn't a busy weekend (week before Memorial Day) and if they didn't have the room available than I could probably find another hotel nearby, besides, I was able to get a good rate.

Luckily for me they did have the room available and I was able to get an upgrade to a one-bedroom suite (was originally going into a studio). When I arrived, there was nobody at valet for a few minutes and I didn't want to leave my car in front of the hotel without it being attended. I was worried that I would have problems with valet, but it turns out that I didn't need my car until the day I checked out of the hotel. Ronnie checked me into the hotel and he was awesome. He has the best outlook and was always smiling and laughing and seemed to have nothing but positive energy and a great vibe.

The room was great. It was a 1-bedroom apartment! Had a full kitchen, which I didn't use except the refrigerator (who wants to cook when on a minivacation), a living room and bedroom. The room was clean, and the bathroom was very nice. The bed was comfortable but could have used an extra blanket. The housekeepers were friendly even though they didn't speak english and the maintenance guy (don't know his name) during the day was fantastic and friendly when he came to help me with the internet.

Overall, i liked the place a lot. It's right in the middle of South Beach (Ocean Drive) and even though it was loud outside, I was able to sleep in peace and quiet inside.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 11 May 2009

We went to Casa Grande on a Saturday night for Mother's Day. The room was booked well in advance and was booked with an expectation of an 850 foot King Suite. The internet photos make this place look just AMAZING.

When we got there, we were checked into the smaller suite. Apparently, they decided to downgrade us to the junior suite. The room definitely needed to have the carpet replaced and the room painted. Although the beds were nice, the carpet was disgusting.

As soon as we got there, one of my friends wanted to take a shower. The shower did not work at all and they had to call maintenance. When we asked for a different room, we were told that they were sold out. In other words, too bad, so sad.

We went out for a little while then and came back to get ready. When we got to the room, we realized the overhead lights did not work. When we called the front desk, they told us they hadn't worked in "months" and the owner didn't fix them. Again, too bad, so sad.

As we were getting ready, we were overwhelmed with the smell of cigarette smoke. Apparently, you can smoke in all of the rooms, the hallway and, YES, even the elevator. Even if you smoke, you would be overwhelmed by smoke.

When we checked out in the morning, we found out that this is a condo-hotel and all of the rooms are privately owned. Apparently, our owner doesn't care about anything but making money. To add insult to injury, they charged us an 8.00 resort fee when we checked out. I wonder if that was for the broken lights, broken shower or the overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke.

On a positive note, the spa was wonderful, the beds were comfortable and the place was fairly quiet. Still, we went there for pampering for Mother's Day and were hoping for something that was just a little bit more. That's what the website makes it look like.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blancheee
england
Reviewed 30 April 2009

Our rooms were booked 2 months in advance with confirmations. Upon arrival after 14 hours travelling we were greeted by Ronnie on the desk who promptly told us that only two of three rooms were available and they were not of the type we had booked, ( sound familiar ? ). We were told that the two rooms were upgrades and the third room was at a lower grade hotel so our party would be split up. Our upgraded rooms were useless as we had boked rooms with two queen sized beds but ended up with 1 bed and a sofa bed ( very uncomfortable ). We accepted these rooms with no other alternative and on the understanding that 1 nights stay would be re-inbursed for the couple having to stay in a different hotel. Having now returned we have now found that no refund has been issued, ( sounds familiar again ). Also don't understand the resort fee as we moved on to fort lauderdale from here were the hotel was less costly far superior and there was no resort fee. We were visiting Miami beach for an experience. However our experience was all bad. Beware when booking with this hotel. Reading other reviews our situation seems to be a regular occurance.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank phil_in_hull
CasaGrandeManager834, Manager at Casa Grande Suite Hotel of South Beach, responded to this review, 13 June 2015
Dear Past Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Casa Grande. I am so sorry you were not accommodated with the apartments you needed to make your stay a comfortable one. I kindly ask should your travels lead you back to South Beach to please reconsider giving us another chance. Contact me directly so I can offer you something special for your stay fiflsteve@aol.com
All the best,
Steven Annicharico
Assistant Manager
Mandy2012
Reviewed 28 April 2009

I stayed here with my family during Spring Break. 1st problem-they did not have a room ready for my mom. They said they were short on help adn there was only one maid on duty. So after waiting for about an hour, we cancelled her room and she stayed in the room with me and my husband. 2nd problem-the 1st room they tried to put me in the carpet was filty. I am very particular about my room being clean and I have a pet peave about dirty floors. However, the 2nd room the put me in was okay. There was something sticky on the floor though. I was so frustrated with the hussle and bussle of trying to get a decent room, that I figured it would be better to go ahead and clean the floor with a wet papertowel myself than to wait on the only maid they had. We didn't stay the entire night since we had a long drive ahead of us so I didn't get a chance to see if we would get the fresh oranges they boasted about. Overall, this hotel can use some updating. The carpet in the hallway by the elevators (3rd Floor) was filty. BEWARE every room is not the same so you may have to look at a couple to get a decent one. The location is GREAT but I will not stay here again. Definitely not a 4 or 5 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I booked months in advance. And then . . .

"Sorry, we don't have 2 queens available, so we upgraded your room to a suite"

"What do you mean? I have my booking confirmation number for 2 queens"

"Sorry"

I was not surprised since I read other reviews about missing reservations here. I was just relieved that we had a room.

Our "room upgrade" was actually a king bed and a sofa bed, facing the ever-so-noisy Ocean Drive.

We did not have a good night's rest . . . any room facing Ocean Drive is noisy and the staff did not tell us this. It would have been helpful.

They switched our room to two queens the next day, but we had to return to the hotel and transfer our belongings. Inconvenience much?

There is NO ventilation in the hotel which meant AC was blasting on us 24/7. The front desk was helpful in getting our taxis and towels, but lacked smiles and knowledge.

We were not given a map nor any helpful information around the hotel.

The room was spacious. The bathroom and mini kitchen were both decent. I liked the fact that we could stock food leftovers and beverages in the fridge.

We were charged a "resort fee" upon check-out, which I don't get, but whatever, not returning here.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Betty N
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Every time we visit Miami we always stay at the Casa Grande Hotel located right on the South Beach Strip, across from the beach and walking distance to all the restaurants and clubs. The rooms are very private, you won't hear any street noise and I believe each one of the rooms also contains a mini kitchen which we found useful for making our dinner and drinks. The service and staff were excellent and the rooms look newly renovated. We've had several bachelorette parties in Miami and no doubt I look forward to staying at the Casa Grande with each visit!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2009

First of all I reserved this thru bookit.com for $99/night. After reading some of the reviews I was afraid I would arrive to find out I did not have a room. When I arrived, I was promptly checked in. I stayed in Room 409 which is located in the back. I did not hear any noise from the street at this location. Speaking of location, this spot is perfect. You can walk everywhere from here which is what I did. The suite was clean and more than adequate for $99/night. The balcony did not look really clean nor inviting, and I did not venture out there. I did not experience staff arguing with any customers. The elevators are SLOW, and they shake when they stop at your floor...........scary!!!! I would recommend this place and I would definitely stay here again. The location alone gives it extra points, especially if you are a single female traveling. No fresh squeezed OJ, but I did see oranges in the lobby. I did notice that someone had food delivered to their room and I have noticed the tray has been sitting in the hallway over 12 hours!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo