“Ants, broken locks, noisy kids, poor service”

Holiday Inn Miami Beach
Ranked #104 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Phoenix, Arizona
“Ants, broken locks, noisy kids, poor service”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I actually redeemed points plus paid money for this visit back in February (platinum member). We came down a day early for a cruise and I booked 2 rooms; 1 for my wife and I and 1 room for our friends accompanying us on the cruise. The rooms weren't ready when we arrived, but we were a bit early. They held our bags via the valet, but it took a while waiting to get them again upon check-in. Our room was okay, but noisy with kids running up and down the halls and clogging the elevators (both), requiring waiting for the next, and next, and next elevator. We wound up walking the stairs most of the time 9 flights. Our friends room turned out to be a handicap accessible room (no big deal), but after waiting and hoofing it up 9 floors they couldn't even get into the room. It took 4 separate trips to the front desk and maintenance involved 3 times to get them in the room. They had no hot water for the entire trip and there were ants all over the shower. Unfortunately, the hotel was fully booked so they were stuck with the room. Multiple trips to the desk and complaining about the problems and it was never resolved. I complained to the front desk manager that I had used points AND spent money for these rooms and we just got empty promises in return. They did comp us a free buffet (which costs them next to nothing since we're all healthy and eat very little). The branch manager was supposed to contact me but never did (of course). A follow up and I still didn't get any points or fees credited back.
The hotel itself could use some updating, but the staff seemed responsive and friendly overall. The grounds were well kept and conveniently located on the beach and boardwalk. We did rent bikes at a corner kiosk and rode down to South Beach and back (we're all bikers so the 15 miles round-trip was no problem). There was/is a lot of construction along the boardwalk for hotel renovations, etc. so there are detours, but the beach and views were terrific. It's a good walk or ride to get to some restaurants around here if you don't plan to eat at the hotel, like we chose.
Would I stay here again? Maybe. But only if other rooms are guaranteed available if the one I get has issues. I strongly suggesting testing all of the amenities in your room BEFORE unpacking. Keep in mind that in the winter all of the hotels in and around this area are $200+ a night. I chose this hotel because of convenience and lots of points to use.

Room Tip: Water-view rooms cost more; higher floors have better views. check for hot water and bugs.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Miami Beach, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Outbackwack,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We truly regret to see that you did not fully enjoy your stay as our guest. We do take all of our reviews very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We would like to follow up with you directly and have sent you an email to the address associated with your IHG Rewards Club account which should arrive shortly.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Hungarian first
Morton
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel is right on the ocean. Exit by the pool, walk down the boardwalk and your on the beach. Nice outdoor pool for the family and outdoor bar between the Holiday Inn and Four Seasons Hotel. The room was clean. A cold soda or ice cream are available in the gift shop. The breakfast was excellent however lunch/dinner was mediocre. DecoBike rental bicycles are available several blocks from the hotel and provide a nice way to enjoy traveling around Miami Beach for a few hours.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank K K
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Great value for this part of Miami. An easy walk to Lincoln Road and South Beach. Rooms were clean and the staff was very friendly. The pool area was probably the highlight. If you're not up for the pool, just walk out to the beach, it's right there. I'd recommend it for singles and family. If you lack for anything, just ask the staff. Again, they were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at Holiday Inn Miami Beach, in April 2014 and here's the gist of my experience here:

1. Check in- We went at the end of the tourist season, but it was still tourist season. So there were a lot of guests around. Hence check in took a good 15 minutes and our request for early check in was politely turned down, as they did not have rooms available. However, to their utmost credit, they suggested themselves, that we leave our luggage in the hold room and park our car and walk to nearby places for lunch. When the room is ready, they will call us. This suggestion really helped a lot and we got a call for our room, right on time.

2. Staff- GREAT..!! They were helpful and polite. That's all I look for in a good hotel chain. I got my regular Platinum benefits and then some. There was particularly weird girl working at the bar (parrot bar, was it??) on our first evening, in a hurry and bordering on not so polite or helpful, but we were on a vacation so I will discount her behaviour. so all in all great staff.

3. Location - If it's all about Location, then you are at the right place.. It's on collins avenue, so you are on THE street you need to be.. they were situated on the boardwalk, so you can simply walk out of the hotel from the swimming pool side and land right into the ocean..

4. Swimming pool - TOO small.. too many children making way too much noise for my taste.. but then, nothing that the hotel can do about it..

5. Room - You see that rating of 4 I have given, instead of 5 - here's why: I had booked a 1 queen bed room. We were informed we were upgraded. I did not inquire in detail, but I am guessing the ocean facing room is considered upgrade in Miami.. This will have to be the tiniest 2 bed room I have seen in my hotel stay history.. I don't have a frame of reference for other hotels in Miami but this was a slight damper on our stay.. and before you get excited about the Ocean Facing - it's two small windows in the room facing the ocean, and they don't even open.. so don't get too excited..

6. Price - In comparison to other hotels on the same street, pretty much in the same ballpark.. However, after the overall stay I would say it was slightly expensive, and this view is primarily because of the room size..

7. Parking - Parking on Collins avenue can be an issue. So we opted for the hotel valet parking. It was very convenient and priced just fine. You can come and go as many times as you want, there is a single stub that you get for your entire stay, so no need to wait for someone to come and give you a stub everytime. You can call from your room and 10 minutes later, the car will be there, so very reliable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sameer A
orange
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here with my grand kids and it was perfect for what i needed

Price what good for what we got

Hotel is alittle old now but still does the job

Walking distance to south beach but Miami beach was at our back door

Would return

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Myra O
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel just for the weekend for a little getaway to relax. The hotel has a beautiful tropical environment. My room was in perfect condition and very clean. Last but not least the front desk staff (Christian, Kim, and the Manager on Duty "Manny" went above and beyond to make me feel welcome. This hotel leads by example in representing IHG. I have stayed here before and will continue to cime back. For anyone that would like a few days away or stay with family and friends this is the perfect place on Miami Beach! :)

• Stayed May 2014
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed there in MAY 2014 for 4 nights. pleasant room , great room service (the food was amazing) and very clean and responsive housekeeping.
They offered us free towels for the beach! the bus station is right next to the hotel.
The location was close to everything including the beach.
Will definitely stay there if we are in Miami again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple