“BED BUGS!!!!! STAY AWAY!!!!”
Review of Hotel Shelley

Hotel Shelley
Ranked #79 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I booked 3 nights through Orbitz 2 weekends ago.
Since returning home I have been diagnosed with bed bugs, I have rashes all over myself. My skin is burning!!! Spent hours at a clinic for creams and steroids.

DO NOT BOOK HERE, BED BUGS!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Hello there SanFranB0und,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us. We are extremely sorry that your stay with us was less then enjoyable. When we have had guests complain about issues with their skin, and thinking it's bed bugs 99% of it time it's not. What ocean swimmers, particularly off the Florida coast, are prone to discover particularly when water temperatures read between 76 and 82 degrees Fahrenheit are tiny thimble jellyfish. Unsuspecting swimmers who pass through an invisible swarm of thimble jellyfish often end up with an itchy, acne-like rash with tiny small areas of raised red skin. We apologize greatly that you had to experience this while on vacation. We hope that you get better soon!

Katrine

Write a ReviewReviews (1,597)

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Have you ever wanted to be Don Johnson in Miami Vice or Scarface? Ya know a big baller rolling into a super posh hotel full of good looking people and that DJ breaking down the big beats in the lobby. The Hotel Shelly actually might fulfill that fantasy a bit for a pretty good price too. The retro styling, posh interior decorating and active lounge/lobby really provide a unique and most certainly fulfilling Miami vibe.

The rooms are small, about half the size of a Ramada or something like that but that said they are comfortable, they are way better decorated and most of all if your hanging at the Shelly you are literally a block away from the heart of South Beach so you likely won’t be turning in till the wee hours. I on the other hand was on a business trip and had to get to bed fairly early and even with the party going on outside it was comfortable and quite enough to get a solid night’s sleep.

I will say that there were a couple things to beware of if you’re on a seriously tight budget. The hotel will take a deposit on top of your nightly bill and parking can be a bit high even if you self-park in the public garage about four blocks away. I would call and inquire will the Shelly before booking the room just so you know the fees. Aside from that you likely won’t find a better value-to-posh ratio in south beach. It’s a great spot for a weekend getaway when you just gotta fulfill that Miami urge.

The food in the area is outstanding especially if you like Cuban and if you have never tried Cuban... oh my gosh it’s worth a trip to south beach just for that.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SavageLand
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Good Afternoon SavageLand,

We would like to thank you for the time you took to share your honest extensive feedback with us! We offer unbeatable prices in a prime location, with great money saving amenities to go with. We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are smaller then your average hotel room. We do have rooms that are towards the back of the hotel, on the higher floors that are more quiet. We do take a $100 hold for incidentals that are released as soon as you check out, as long as nothing is damaged in the room. We hope that you would stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed in four properties in Miami and as a solo traveller wasn't much to complain except I found the place to be a littledinger esp the corridor leading to the rooms and noise from adjoining rooms..
The place also has a free drinks hour and you could grab a few as you start your evening in Miami but the place itself is good only if you are solo traveller or are in college and looking for a place to crash ...The staff is friendly and helpful and do their best to help you around...and the Shuttle to airport is also handy...

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Prayag
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Good Afternoon Prayag,

Thank you so much for the time you took to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us! I will make sure to pass on your feedback regarding noise to our General Manager. We offer a complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM nightly. It's a perfect time to mingle around and get to know your temporary neighbors! :) We are glad that you were able to take advantage of it. We hope that you would stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

It was cool to stay in an art deco hotel in Maimi. This hotel is 1 block from Route 1, which is where the beach is. The area is historic with lots to do. It's Miami South Beach so there's a lot of places to eat and lots of interesting fashions. I walked around and enjoyed taking pictures of the different art deco buildings. Unique and historic.

The room was just big enough for 2 beds with a place to put our suitcases. The bathroom was quite large with a shower. It's a solid 3-stars. I wish there was more than 1 wastebasket and a light in the closet. The curtains were a little dirty from the AC unit blowing, but we needed AC in Florida. The concierge was super helpful and nice, giving me tips on where I could park the car more cheaply. Parking is VERY expensive, and the valet service is super high so park your car yourself a block away in a garage. I parked there for 3 days and didn't have any problems. There is a bar in this hotel so it can get lively and loud in the lobby.

There was a strong fragrance when I first walked into the room. It really bothered my friend. It was like someone was trying to cover up the smell of bug spray. I also noticed it when I was outside the Chesterfield, the sister hotel across the street. That's the only complaint I had. I would stay there again if I get back to the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lisa A
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Hello there Lisa A,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us! We are in the heart of South Beach just blocks away from all the action. We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are smaller then your average hotel room. Our Concierge is absolutely amazing and is all in the know about South Beach, and the hottest places to go. Parking in South Beach can be expensive which is why we offer valet parking. It's $35 per night with as many in's and out's as you'd like.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I booked this hotel in May for Jan 2014 through Booking.com. I found a little apartment instead and tried to cancel via the Booking.com website, but could not because it was not functioning properly. I called the Shelley and told them I wanted to cancel the reservation and was told to call Booking.com. I was given the number for Booking.com, called and cancelled. When I arrived in Miami Beach my debit card was stolen and when I checked my balance online I found that the Shelley had taken the full amount of the reservation out of my account which was then overdrawn. My bank charged me an overdraft fee for this so I was completely broke. I was out almost $600.00. I immediately called the Shelley and was told that I should call Booking.com. Booking.com says they have no record of my call to cancel and the Shelley will not respond to my emails. Booking.com sent me an email saying they "are sorry for the inconvenience" I am a senior and I booked the apartment to save some money on food since it had a kitchen. Neither Booking.com nor the Shelley will refund my money and now I can't pay my bills. I will have to let go of my Medicare Part B. My son is disabled and I am to helping him out so every cent counts. That is why I cancelled in the first place and they still took my money even though Booking.com stated that I could cancel up to 3 days in advance and I cancelled months in advance. Neither Booking.com nor the Shelley will take responsibility for screwing up. Beware of your money at this hotel.

3  Thank Grannydoggie
Reviewed 15 January 2014

. I did not like this hotel at all.

We got off the cruise ship and arrived at 10:00am, I understand that most places can't check you in till 2pm, but most places normally try if they can by at least midday. My friend had booked it all online and prepaid for it, so it was all in his name. We were told that they would try to get us a room ready early, so we waited in the lobby, by 1pm we thought we would go get some lunch. I came back and was told the room was finally ready, 2pm, so normal time, thanks for having us wait all morning in your lobby. Then to let me know that I still could not enter the room till my friend signed their paper. He was going for a walk and was going to leave me to sleep in the room till the afternoon. Thinking it's all paid for already there shouldn't be an issue. I was very annoyed by this time. They know my friend was there, they saw him, sitting in the lobby ALL MORNING, but still refused me entry to the room, I stated that he will sign as soon as he enters the building, but NO, they refused. What they thought would happen to the room in the mean time, I have no idea, mind you they actually have the credit card details anyway so they could just charge the room if I decided to damage the room in an hour of arriving. My friend finally arrived back to me fuming and talking to the manager who said "Sorry, it's policy". Stupid policy and make your customers happy, or guess what, you get terrible reviews for bad service!!

The room... The bathroom floor was all wet, not cleaned properly and very small. Loud at night. Wi-Fi in the rooms is free and was a good connection. The free shuttle is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and you have to cart all your own luggage with no help from the hotel, so if you have a lot of luggage like I did, it's a huge struggle. The standard of this hotel is very hostel like as the rooms go, but you get better service at a hostel, it's seriously around the corner, stay there. Miami International hostel. Better rates for a similar product, but they have food included.

Location is great, but that’s the only good thing about this hotel

1  Thank Mshelzy007
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I were stranded in Miami for five days due to bad weather in the northeast. George , who works at reception, was so helpful in helping us find a room to suit our needs and was extremely friendly. As a matter of fact..everyone who works here was so nice and willing to help us when we needed it. The hotel is only two stars, so don't have high expectations and you'll be fine. For the price we paid , the location is amazing and you never really spend a lot of time in your room on vacation anyways. My husband and I are well- travelled and I would compare the rooms to something that you'd expect in Europe ...small by North American standards ...but clean and comfortable with spotless marble private bathrooms. The hallways are a little sketchy, and the lighting is dim and unflattering. Another thing that threw us off...we weren't expecting the whole " nightclub" feel when we walked in...but that's basically what a traditional hotel was ( a bar in the lobby...rooms for rent up top) . I would recommend asking for a quieter room towards the back of the building...we were never kept up by noise at night and had four nights of comfortable sleep while we were here. Miami may not be our cup of tea as far as cities are concerned...and we're not sure we'd ever come back to south beach by choice...but our stay here was exactly what we needed and close enough to everything.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dayna C
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Hello there Dayna C,

Thank you so much for the time you took to provide us with your honest feedback, regarding your recent stay with us! George that is one of our front desk agents is absolutely great! I will make sure to inform him and the rest of our staff know of your kind praise! Our staff works hard to make sure that each and every guest is having a great time and that the hotel is always clean! We offer unbeatable prices, in a prime location with great amenities to go with. We hope that you would come back to stay with us again in the future, for another memorable time!