“THEY STEAL MONEY FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD”

Found Places Clifton Hotel South Beach
Ranked #150 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Randers, Denmark
“THEY STEAL MONEY FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Don’t ever use this hotel or any hotel in the Ascend Hotel Collection chain. We were visiting the hotel 2 times during our Christmas holidays 2013. The first time we checked in using my husband’s credit card and the second time we used my credit card. We had paid for both stays before arrival, so we only had to pay for local tax and valet parking. When we left the hotel the first time we paid in cash and the second time I signed a bill for 178 USD and accepted that they could draw it on my account. When we were back in Denmark we could see, that they have also withdrawn USD 203,99 on my credit card and the same amount at my husband’s. We contacted the Clifton hotel directly and they mailed back that it was a mistake and they would transfer the money back to us. As we didn’t receive any money we contacted them several times but without result. Then we contacted our Danish travel agency Top Tours and they contacted their hotel agent in US “Tourico Holidays”. Still Clifton hotel refuses to refund the money and they still claim, that they have not withdrawn the money from any of our accounts. We have mailed all receipts from our bank showing the hotel name or address, and still they refuse. Whether it is an employee at the hotel who has misused our credit cards or it is the hotel itself, we do not know. Clifton hotel was the only place during our holiday that got a copy of both my husband and my credit card, so no doubt that the misuse took place at the hotel – and the receipts also show the hotel name/address. Our Danish bank has now lawyers on the case and we hope to get our money back – but we do not believe in it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Kristian W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed at the Clifton in Miami before my cruise and I can't say enough horrible things about this place. It is a pure dump!! First they charged my credit card for accidentals instead of just putting a hold on my card like most hotels and charge my credit card for resort fees which it is far from being that! The hallways has an old red light like the "twilight zone" and reminds me of a college dorm room. The bedroom carpet was flithy and the bed matress looked like it was placed on the floor because it was so low to the ground. They claim to be a "green" hotel only to save on cost for a real head board which is a joke! The only thing that was nice about this place is the bathroom which was clean. I am not the biggest hotel snob but this place in my option should be remodeled or closed down. I forgot to mention that it was a bar downstairs with a limited amount of cheap liquor and a bartender with a serious attitude! Hey, however, the location was great and close to the beach is all I have to say. If you are ok with what I accurately described about this hotel..go for it! To me, it was unacceptable!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chenderson

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I would have given it a 5 star for the value I got, but the clerks at the front desks were so cold. They did not greet you properly and all they cared was to get your signatures for the charge. The location is good, very close to everything. The hotel is still under remodeling. The new rooms are very clean and with modern decor though. Wi-Fi only worked in the main building which only has the dining room. So basically wifi is non-existent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Montclair, NJ
Reviewed 6 January 2014

When we arrived there was major raod construction on Collins. The driver of our car had to let us off a block away as the road was closed in front of the hotel. Thankfully it was damp so there was no dust from all the construction. Half the road was open the next morning.
The young man that checked us in was very friendly and helpful. He was there for the first few days of our 6 night stay and looked a bit ragged around the edges by day three. The same with the young man who was there for the weekend. By Sunday he looked beat. but still cheerful.
The rooms were clean and compact, not much room to unpack and get really comfortable, basically had to live out of my suitcase as there was not enough closet and drawer space. The beds were comfortable but uncomfortably low to the floor, not being as young and spry as I used to be I had difficulty getting up from the bed which was basically a box on the floor.
The bathroom was clean but a bit cramped, very nice toiletries but the towels were less than adequate. The towels were thin and frayed and on two occasions the the bath towels ripped while using them, The beach towels were much bigger, sturdier and fluffier.
The walls in the hotel were paper thin, a friend was in the adjoining room whose shared door did not have a key. We were able to hold a conversation through the wall. I won't mention the sounds we heard from other rooms occasionally during our stay.
The lighting was dim but harsh and the everchanging light show in the hallways as well as the lighting of the facade reminded me of a brothel.Our windows overlooked an ally with bicycles and scooters chained to the palm tree there.
There was a bar in the sparse lobby which was never open during our stay and we heard it through the grapevine not to try the breakfast.
The hotel IS convenient to the beach and other attractions in the area. For an overnight or two day stay the hotel was not bad. But if you are looking for a little more comfort and luxury...move on.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank valstan50
Turkey
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Compared to the swanky hotels in South Beach, this is a budget option. Should have paid more as my wife gave me hell for a month after. You get what you pay for! The location is good and a multistorey carpark nearby means you do not have to pay for valet parking. The room was clean; a bit small but adequate. Reception guys were good, the girl surly. Breakfast, in the lobby, a joke; we tried it once then eat out. This is not a bad place, just not very good. And not worth the $145 per night I paid. Don't bother with the Miami bus tours, expensive waste of half-a-day, as all the action is nearby.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed in this "Place" which reminded me of a Brothel first off Poor Low lighting . Red lights down hallways. Room so small u cant move and nowhere to put things. (was told a room could fit 5 people , we were over crowded with 3 and NOWHERE to put bags ) Dirty curtains (outside window was a alley and windows have not be cleaned in god knows how long) Robes were from other hotels & looked dingy, along with bath towels and washclothes that were as thin as tissue. We had to walk to walgreens and buy sheets and towels and washclothes. The staff was not friendly at all, was unknowledgable to any question we asked. (channels on tv, times or locations of something) There is NO ice machine & u have to get ice from the "bar" which is only open whenever & the staff acts as if its an inconvienence to get you ice. There was a concierge but not available when we wanted to plan events so we planned our own & when calling the front desk for a address of an event we had planned we were connected to this Consierge whom stated everything needed to be booked thru him & he hung up on us leaving us to miss the event we prepaid for ! Then we were asked to see "sister properties" for time share or something since we denied, the gentleman started to curse at us & call us names. (only to apologize as we checked out days later , which was clearly on there camera @ front desk) We were charged $8 for water (when u get 1 free water bottle a day which we had to remind the houskeeping to give us daily) But upon chk/in & chk/out we took pictures of mini bar so was later refunded after throwing a fit at the desk. The beds are mattresses on a base low to the floor with old bedding. The bathroom had poor lighting and a cracked shower door and when we used towels to clean up the water the towels were black from the dirty floor. When we were checking in we waited over an hour for Housekeeping to check the room & twice during our stay they entered the room without knocking. The patio furniture was removed to use at the "sister hotel" which left guest sitting and smoking on the front entrance steps & blocking the doorway. There is no continential breakfast and whats for sale is just a insult at $2 for a cup of juice or small box of cereal @ the bar. THE PICTURES ON LINE ARE VERY DECIEVEING As soon as we checked out we called Choice Hotels to complain & also contacted the hotel Management. Choice tryed to offer us a $50 gift card but for the $900 we paid for 4 days & the fact that EVERY hotel was booked (Memorial Day Weekend) we had no choice to stay there . a $50 gift card was not acceptable . So with hope the HOTEL management would want to SATISFY there guest we contacted a MATT C. He offered no compensation (didnt even try ) actually ignored my emails and calls for 2 weeks ( I have copies of all emails) then Matt proceeded to threaten me with contacting my General Manager as I am a Hotel employee(With Choice Hotels) & I guess I should have no opinion or should have not expected any compensation. And Matts Then denied me to speak with any other Manager or OWNER. I tryed to go thru Chamber of Commerce in Miami & everything led me back To Matt C. . I think this place lacks ANY respect for there guests & working in a Hotel I would do everything in my power to make my Guests happy (as I Do) I would NOT EVER stay there again obviously & I surely would NOT recommend it eithier! I did not even want to share the disappointment I had on tripadvisor in hope the "Management" would try to come to some type of agreement to satisfy the diappointment & horrible stay we had, But I dont think Matt C cares too much about the guests only collecting our money!

Green Features: There "Eco Friendly" hotel leaves u feeling like u are in a Brothel or Nightclub with low lighting & makes me wander what filth u would see if they had brighter lights !
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Steelerbaby
Jersey City
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I was there for 5 nights paid $161 plus resort fee. Let's start with the location is excellent. 2 blocks from the beach. Couldn't ask for more. But rooms are small & along with the bathroom needs brighter lights. With 2 people in the room we had to live out our suitcases for 5 nights had no place to put clothes. Had a friend staying in the joining room the front desk had no key to open the door between rooms. Suppose to have a fridge it won't get cold and when I asked the front desk about it I was told it's not a fridge but a cooler. The fridge/cooler still had stuff from the previous guest in it and smelled every time you opened it. The beach towels where better then the towels in the room for drying yourself after a shower. No staffed bar even on the weekend when told that it would be open on the weekend it wasn't. The staff was friendly answered questions, gave direction with a smile. Would only stay here again for no more then a weekend. Rooms should be between $79 to $89 per night.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends