“Cute CLEAN small Boutique Hotel on SOBE”

Found Places Clifton Hotel South Beach
Ranked #150 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dallas, Texas
“Cute CLEAN small Boutique Hotel on SOBE”
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Ok...So I spent a ton of time researching South Beach hotel before I selected this one. The early positive reviews, recent grand openning and location is what prompted me to to pick this place. I already knew what I was in for. If you are looking for a place to hide out in your room and not go check out South Beach do not stay here. It is not a resort hotel. I gathered from the other properties in South Beach for an old art deco historic building this was the best place to go. Understand these are old 1930's buildings and they cannot bust down walls and make them larger. These are old historic buildings! If you are looking for a place with a pool and has over 100 large spacious rooms this is not the place to go. However, if you are looking for a modern clean option that is near the beach, eateries, and safe I highly recommend it.

We had come here for Winter Music Conference 2010. We stayed in downtown Miami initially because of all the events we wanted to go to were located near our first hotel. We migrated to South Beach the last two nights. When we got there we got there before check-in time and being that it was in the middle of Spring Break and WMC I had NO expectations of getting a room early in a place that only had 30+ rooms. I was more-so worried about it being a smaller hotel and having a place to put our luggage until a room was available. They allowed us to leave our bags there and we got a claim ticket and put in a request for a lst floor room as I knew from researching there were no elevators there but they have people to help carry your stuff. We then went next door to Sushi Rock which had spectacular quality sushi. We came back after our meal and there was minor delay in getting our room but we got it. They are very thorough about making sure your rooms are clean and minibars inventoried etc before you check in etc. which I can appreciate.

Room: We got a double bed room. Room was very small but clean. Had a closet with safe and two wafflecomb robes in it. Iron and blowdryer available. Mini-fridge with alcohol and mixers available. Little cabinets and drawers to put stuff in. Room was very cute and modern looking. Beds were low platform beds so do not be startled by that. Plenty of pillows and had a 40"-40+" LCD in the wall with a small desk with a rolling IKEA like chair. Alarm clock with IPOD hookup (accomodates the 5th gen IPODS which is a plus). Bathroom was small but clean. Shower was so awesome. Water pressure was spectacular! Although it had a leaky issue with the door but I am sure they are aware of that and I just asked for extra towels as I know they will work out the bugs of a fresh opening. Toilet was one of those half flush/full flush options which is great for water conservation. Grand opening also means....there might be some bugs to fix. You have to communicate with them so they know people....not just complain on websites. Walls are thin so you may be able to hear neighbors but from what I understand this is what most art deco hotels are like. Go pay double and stay at Loews or the Ritz. Ice has to be retrieved from the front bar. Bartenders were very nice and cordial. Front desk people were very nice and accomodating. They grabbed us our cabs when we needed and gave us directions to wherever we needed and suggestions.

There is a Walgreens about 3-4 blocks away so if you need anything 24 hours go there. I always look for a place that has a CVS or a Walgreens nearby.

Beach was a mere block away. They have chairs and towels available which is included in the MANDATORY resort fee that is required from all hotels on South Beach so quit complaining about that as well. 2 bottles of water is included in that as well. Watched the sun rise and it was gorgeous! I love the energy South Beach. I would stay here again most definitely. The only thing I wish they had was a vending machine but Walgreens is a mere hop skip jump away!

Oh also front desk printed out my boarding passes graciously and I left there very happy. Just know that SOBE Miami is on island time....so you busy city slickers who are into instant quick gratification....just skip SoBe....you will be cranky. Life moves a little slower here and I coming from Dallas had to slow my city dial down to island time...after all it is a vacation!

3 Thank TxAngie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 April 2010

We stayed at this hotel one night after a cruise. Our flight was early the following day. The hotel is very clean and the front desk is very helpful. However, do not stay here if you plan on getting any rest. The walls are paper thin and anything that happens on the street, in the hallway, and in the room next to you can be heard in your room. Turning on the air conditioning helps tune out the noise, but the air vent is positioned to hit you right in the face. The rooms are nicely decorated and very modern, but very small. There's barely any room to move around with your luggage.
The location is great as you can walk to shops, dining, clubs, and beach. For the price we paid, we could have stayed at a more comfortable hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Miami
Reviewed 19 April 2010

I stayed 5 days for work. Everything was ok but it was very noisy at night. I had to use a couple towels to cover the space under the door. But the main issue I had was the air conditioning. The rooms are very small and the air was positioned right on the bed..I even tried to move the vents and eventually covered the vent with a sheet. So i really could sleep well with the noise from the air conditioning and when it was on it hit the bed.

Other than that it was clean and located kinda out of the way of all the night life....

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Brooklyn
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We stayed for a couple nights at this newly refurbished (4million dollars we were told) and it show. !!!!! Bar on site, Pool, Great staff...anything you need or questions...they were there to help.

Great deal on rate, close to everything, 1 block from beach and we had so much fun, we are booked already next month for a quick getaway...
Thanks....whoo hooo

Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Powder Springs, GA
Reviewed 12 April 2010

The newly remodeled Clifton is very nice. I recently stayed there for a business trip and thorougly enjoyed my stay. The hotel has been completely remodeled and is like brand new. The beds are platform foam beds that are very comfortable. There is no pool but the sister property has one and then there's the beach which is just a block away. Noise from the street can be a problem if your room is right on the front strip, but turning on the air conditioner will drown it out. The room size is perfect for one or two people. The location is great as you can walk anywhere, even to the convention center. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
new york
Reviewed 6 April 2010

Ok so the good things about this hotel, relatively new so the rooms were very clean and its a great location in south beach. The bartenders there were friendly but that was about it and of course they're going to be. Now the bad things, the hotel room was EXTREMELY small they should let you know there is no space to walk and the shower floods everywhere we had to line the bathroom floor with towels. Which when you need towels you better call before 12 because after the cleaning service leaves the staff behind the desk is too lazy to get them for you. There is no lobby what so ever just a bench by the desk and the bar is about 5 feet long.

I went to the desk to get a towel one night and was constantly hit on by employees! I told one of them over and over i had a boyfriend, is harassment part of your job? Then there are the rest of the daytime staff who cant even be bothered to crack a smile, except for the older man opening the door he's super friendly.

Overall I would only recommend this hotel if your only priorty is cleanliness. I can not get over how rude and unaccomadating the hotel staff was.

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Hartford, CT
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I stayed at the newly renovated Clifton hotel which is right in the midst of South Beach and was amazed at the eco-friendly attributes that they provide without sacrificing comfort and luxury. Everything was designed to be environmentally friendly, from the furnishings to the bedding to the rain shower shower head - which by the way still seemed to have a lot of water pressure. The towels are probably the best I've had surpassing those I've seen at some five star resorts. Location is great - a couple blocks to beach, right between great restaurants on Ocean and shopping on Collins. Staff was so friendly and helpful. Great place to stay and feel like you're contributing to protecting the environment and planet!