“Great Location, average hotel”

Found Places Clifton Hotel South Beach
Ranked #151 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, New York
“Great Location, average hotel”
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I stayed here on the 2nd floor with a friend for three days for short getaway to Miami we booked through bookit.com. Pros: The best thing about the hotel was the location. One block away from the beach and they provide towels and beach chairs. Also close to shopping, restaurants, etc. The rooms were small but what you'd expect in a large city. I wouldn't recommend for a family but for two singles traveling or a couple the space is fine. The desk staff and bellman were friendly. Michael at the front desk was particularly helpful with suggestions about things to do and places to eat. Cons: My main complaint would be the lighting-the bathroom is very dark - not adequate to put on makeup or do hair. The air conditioner was kind of noisy and not well-regulated. Walls are thin and you can hear noise from the hall. One odd thing was that the bed had a fake coverlet--at the bottom of the bed there was what you would think was a light spread turned back, but it was actually just a piece of quilted fabric. My friend and I had a good laugh when I went to pull it up and found that it was apparently just for decoration?!--never seen anything like that before but it wasn't a big deal just odd.

Overall the place is "fine". Clean, renovated rooms; not luxury, but average and definitely not as bad as some of these reviews portray. If you need absolute quiet, lots of personal service and upscale amenities look elsewhere. If you are looking for a decent place to stay for a reasonable price while you enjoy Miami beach then I don't think you'll be disappointed by the Clifton.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Vancouver
Reviewed 29 August 2010

We just returned from staying at this hotel and it was quite a disappointment. It was extremely noisy from the staff on the phone or having conversations at all hours of the night until 5:00 a.m. which we could hear very clearly (and complaining did not help). Room was not cleaned until after 5:00 p.m which was a pain as we just got in to change for dinner and we had to leave because the cleaners left at 5:30 and it wouldn't get done unless we left!. There were no glasses left in the room and when we asked for some were told that we woud have to pay for each one since housekeeping normally should leave them! We had to confirm that none were left before they would give us some. We were told that there was a continental breakfast which was not the case. We know there is no pool but the sister hotel pool is "close" but no real amenities there either. The gentleman who helps there carrying luggage, etc. was very helpful and nice. The rooms were clean but very dark! Especially the bathroom - no doing makeup or hair in there as lighting is very poor. Shower was nice though. Overall experience was not good as we had no sleep or very disturbed sleep everynight due to noise from within hotel. I wish we had moved hotels but we had so much planned but will never stay nor recommend this hotel to people. The location is good but for the money spent there are too many others to choose from that would be better.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2010

4 Stars are a joke, I would give it 2 STARS or lower a HOSTEL.
We booked for eight days in June 2010, but we checked out the next day. The Clifton Hotel is the worst 4-star hotel I have ever seen in my 65-year life. The hotel just reminded me of when I was student forty-five years ago, staying in HOSTELS.
The room was very small even with our two small suitcases, there was no room for them, it was very noisy, the mattress was put on the top a wooden box, the staffs were impolite and unhelpful.
The staff started a loud conversation in the reception at 5.30 am, (A few meters away) when I went out and complained, they just gave me a dirty look, as if I am expecting too much, how they can call it a hotel with no facilities, no food I don’t know!.
M Shafie

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mohshafie
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2010

I just returned from a weekend getaway in South Beach, where i stayed at this "hotel". This 'hotel" is the worst and most disgraceful "hotel" i have EVER stayed in my life. The "hotel" staf from time of arrival was RUDE. The lady at the front desk, whose name i can't remember, should not sit at the front desk to represent ANY hotel, not even a PET HOTEL. When we arrived we noticed they booked us with a King bed instead of double. When we ask to get this changed she said it cost more, which was a lie and i pointed this out to her from the website. Instead of admitting she was wrong she then proceeded to lie to us and say "no more double beds rooms were available". We found out later on because the ONLY helpful staff there (Deyron, I hope i got his name right), changed our room to a double beds.

To add insult to injury the next day when we got back from the beach housekeeping never cleaned our room. When i went to the front desk to inform them, another RUDE/NASTY/DISRESPECTFUL representation of the hotel RENAN (hopefully i got his name right) told me " housekeeping left and he's busy". When i asked for clean towels and rags so we can atleast shower and clean our own rooms since we are now "housekeeping" he only sent up regular towels. I then called down to the front desk to ask for the rags he said "he didn't have time for "this" and hung up on me.

I can go on with more about how UNHAPPY my stay there was like, AC was crap, shower kept flooding, there was no cups/ice buckets or anyplace to get ICE ,after i bought my own cups. This "hotel" and what represents it is a FRAUD and should be SHUT DOWN. I won't advise my worst enemy to stay at this "hotel".

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank flynikii
England
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Stayed in the Clifton for a few days whilst travelling the U.S, all I can say is I loved it!!
Its perfectly located to everything (including subway, that provided our nutrition!!), with the beach about a 5 minute walk!!
Rooms are small but beautiful!! Really modern and super clean!! But you're in Miami!!!!!....How much time will you be spending in a room?!
The maids tidied the room everyday, making the beds, replacing the towels and the toiletries!! Even placing our bears back onto our beds!! =]
The rain fall shower was amazing!! I never wanted to get out!!
Staff are lovely aswell!! Really helpful and chatty!!
All in all I was happy we chose to stay in the Clifton after endless weeks of looking for a South Beach hotel!!
Will definately be returning!! =]
x

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 24 May 2010

The Clifton Hotel is a welcome addition to Miami Beach. One can mark off every 'yes' box when describing the hotel: chic, hip, great location, amenities (especially when paired with its sister hotels) AND the owners have gone to great lengths to offset their carbon footprint. It is the first eco-friendly hotel in South Beach! Noentheless, the guest does not sacrifice comfort and luxury in the name of helping our energy and environment.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2010

We selected the Clifton Hotel in Miami's South Beach through BookIt.com for its luxury look, Eco friendly concept and the 4 star rating advertised on your site.

But we were very disappointed when my wife and I and our two girls checked in the evening of February 20th: the room was so tiny that only an uncomfortable stool (not a chair) was put in front of the narrow piece of board serving as a desk; there were human hairs on the sheets; the mini bar was not working so we had to pack and to switch to another identical room and unpacked a second time; no cups or mugs, and no body lotion were provided; no bath tobe; the air conditioner was so noisy that we had to turn it off to sleep; the rooms were poorly insulated, and the reception desk was only a few steps away so we could hear clearly people chatting loudly with the receptionist or between themselves until after midnight and very early in the morning, we had to shout to them to stop taking; there was no restaurant or swimming pool in the hotel like almost all the 4 star hotels in the world; the room had little ventilation so we always welcomed by a very bad smell when entering the room. Above all, there're not much Eco friendly elements at the hotel, it doesn't even have a recycle bin! The so called Luxury Eco-hotel is a joke.

Clifton hotel is definitely not a 4 star hotel. When we made complains to the manager, she admitted that the hotel could only rated 3.5 star. We are the first time user of BookIt.com. We could have stayed at a much better hotel with the money. Obviously BookIt.com gives falsely misleading information about the rating of the hotel.

Stayed February 2010, travelled with family