“Courtyard Marriott, South Beach”

Courtyard Cadillac Miami Beach/Oceanfront
Ranked #87 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, UK
“Courtyard Marriott, South Beach”
Reviewed 8 May 2007

South Beach, Miami is a fantastic place to visit. If you're young and single this hotel is the WRONG place to stay. It seems as though this hotel attracts families.

So if you're thinking about lazing around the pool or on the beach in peace then forget about it.

The staff is friendly and the rooms are nice but know what you're getting into. One other down point is its a little too far from the heart of Collins Ave.

• Liked — Rooms were clean
  • Disliked — Location and clientelle
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank flyingquant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
kingston
Reviewed 4 May 2007

First this review is on the Marriott 39th and collins ave..not to be confused. We stayed there in October..loved it again. Great location for walking or jogging on the boardwalk, great delis and french bakeries up 41st. And for those of you from MA a brand new Dunkin Donuts on 41st (three blocks) as well. For those on a budget, avoid the 35$ taxi ride and take the J bus..longer but only $1.50 a person from the airport (takes 50 minutes). The Carrabas restaurant was great, sit at the counter and watch the food being prepared. 20 minute walk to Deco District on the boardwalk. Got early check in and late check out without a hassle. Relaxing time!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — a bit noisy
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tleverone
Regensburg, Germany
Reviewed 29 April 2007

I stayed for 4 nights in the Courtyard in April for a conference. I was very pleased with the hotel. The room was big and clean, the staff was attentive and friendly. The pool is a great plus, large and well maintained. The hotel has also a nice al fresco bar, where we enjoyed our drinks in the evening, looking out on the beach. There is also an italian restaurant, but as we didn´t eat there I can´t really comment. The hotel is next to the boardwalk and the beach, so I was able to do my daily workout at the beach and straight afterwards jumped into the nice pool.
The only downside was that to all major attractions we needed a taxi as the hotel is located in the northern half of Miami Beach.

• Liked — Pool and location at the beach
  • Disliked — Distance to attractions
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank Maier
boston, ma
Reviewed 11 April 2007

We just got back from a week's stay the Courtyard. We had a great vacation there but the Hotel does need some tweaking. We loved the Carrabbas Grill and restaurant. The food was excellent. Watch out though, they tack on gratuity to everything, including a straight bar purchase.

The pool was kept very clean and towels abundant. They freely gave them out and replaced wet ones. We took ours to the beach as well. The beach was gorgous and warm, salty water. It was a nice escape from the bustle of the pool area. We traveled with 2 kids (13 and 10) The Courtyard was lacking in "things to do for them" other than the pool. There is no game room, no pool tables, no vollyball etc. They really need to address this. We found the rooms to be clean but they didn't have them ready till around 5 pm each day. We loved being
in Miami and would go back. We'd bring games though. Back to "Cold in
Boston" with snow on the way. Wish we were back in Miami

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — lacking in activities for kids
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank coldinboston
Florida
Reviewed 9 April 2007

My teenaged stepdaughter visiting from overseas wanted to see South Beach (during Spring Break, over Easter weekend, no less!) So not only did I have the challenge of trying to find a hotel that was not sold out, but also one with a two-room suite. I wanted a hotel that was in the heart of the action, but wouldn't bust our budget. The luxury hotels were beyond expensive, and the affordable ones seemed to have bad or mixed reviews. Then I hit upon the Courtyard Marriott. They had exactly the type of room we needed--a two room suite with a king bed in the bedroom and a sleeper sofa in the living room, completely separate from each other with a bathroom in the middle. The rooms were clean and comfortable. My stepdaughter didn't mind sleeping on the rollaway at all, because she had her own TV, computer hookup, refrigerator, and microwave. She was far enough away from us so she had her privacy, but still close enough to feel secure. (If you are traveling with kids, this two-room suite is a great way to go.) The location couldn't have been better--a block from the beach between Espanola Way and Lincoln Street, and just a short walk to the north end of Ocean Drive. If you stay there, be sure to talk to Joe at the Front Desk--he can give you excellent recommendations for whatever you are interested in doing!

• Liked — Joe at the Front Desk--he was very warm and welcoming, made us feel at home.
  • Disliked — Breakfast is not complimentary--better to head to the beach for some atmosphere.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank aster_blue
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2007

I just returned from 8 days at the Courtyard. I was there with my 24-year-old daughter, who works for a different hotel chain. Our opinion
of the Courtyard is therefore based on my viewpoint as a customer along with an insider’s view of how a hotel of this class should operate.

My first encounter with the Courtyard began before I ever arrived. I read the comments on tripadvisor.com and went to the hotel website to
check it out, then followed up with a phone call to the hotel.

The website stated that it was a $75 taxi ride from Ft Lauderdale airport to the hotel. I asked the man at the hotel switchboard whether the Courtyard had its own shuttle. He said that they had an arrangement with a service, and gave me their phone number. When I called the shuttle company -- a long distance call for me -- they told me that they do not service the Ft Lauderdale airport, and that I was misinformed. I called the hotel again and told them about my conversation. The same man apologized, but offered me no other solution.

I did my own research online, e-mailed several places, and eventually
found out the Ft Lauderdale airport has a shuttle service that charges $18 per person from its airport to South Beach. My daughter and I used this service, and would strongly recommend it to anyone.

I’d read at tripadvisor that the construction next door made sitting at the pool very noisy, and asked the same man at the hotel switchboard whether the construction was completed. He said it was. Based on this, I went ahead and booked our stay there. However, when we arrived, it was apparent that the construction was ongoing. For the 8 days that we were there, we were serenaded by grinding saws all day long.

Check-in went smoothly, but the room they assigned us had a king bed (I had requested two doubles) and the view overlooked every generator
the hotel possesses. We asked if we could change rooms, but the hotel
was oversold due to a DJ convention taking place in Miami. They promised to change our room 2 days later when there would be more rooms, and indeed they kept their promise. Our new room had 2 double beds and overlooked the pool and ocean. It was great!

Some minor improvements in the room, however, would have made it much
better – and not cost the hotel very much. The door to the in-room safe faces into the closet, forcing guests to practically climb in to
get at the contents. I have no idea why it was oriented this way. There is plenty of depth if it were turned out facing into the room. The hotel would be wise to reconsider where they’ve placed them in both the rooms we stayed in.

Also, there is no place to hang any wet clothing. Given that this is a hotel on the beach with a pool and a beach, it would make sense to provide a place to hang wet bathing suits. Would they prefer that gueests hang things on the furniture?

Our rate included an excellent breakfast, with pleasant, attentive wait staff. The hotel offers eggs served to order (from a moody chef with attitude), bacon, sausage, hash browns, waffles, fruited yoghurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal, cereal, fresh fruit, and assorted breads and cake. My only suggestion here would be to have plain yoghurt for people who don’t like the added sugar.

The elevators were not working properly in the 8 days that we were there, with one not working at all.

Free internet access is only available in the room, so if you plan to use the internet, make sure to bring along your lap-top or you’ll have to pay $5 per 15 minutes to use the hotel's computers, which are
very slow.

USA Today is delivered to all hotel rooms, which I thought was a complimentary service, only to see in faint writing on the folder holding my room key that if I don’t want the paper, I have to let the
front desk know and a credit of 75 cents per day will be applied to the account.

The front desk staff was very pleasant, Galina in particular who tried her best to address any questions we had. However, we were surprised that when we asked one front desk agent about restaurants in South Beach – just 2 miles away – she said she couldn’t advise us because she’d never been there. Worse, she did nothing to ascertain any information from her colleagues or from the Internet.

None of this detracted from our stay at the Courtyard. What did is the poor housekeeping we experienced throughout our 8 days. For the first 4 days, we tolerated the room being cleaned at 4:30. But by day
5, we were fed up and called the front desk and requested that our room we cleaned earlier. Fernando, the same man, who had given me the poor advice about the shuttle and the construction next door, answered the phone. He apologized, and then told me that, all we have to do is call and ask for housekeeping, and 15 minutes later, someone will attend to our room.

At noon, we requested that someone clean the room. By 2 PM, it remained untouched. We called housekeeping; Fernando answered; we told him that, yet again, housekeeping had failed to clean our room. This evoked a reaction besides an apology. Housekeeping came while were there, but only changed the sheets and towels. Nothing was dusted or vacuumed. Throughout the remainder of our stay, housekeeping maintained its schedule of cleaning our room late in the day, despite our request.

As we were departing the hotel, we found the housekeeping supervisor,
and told her how we felt. She told us that we should have called her.
When we told her that we had pressed the button for housekeeping and spoke to Fernando, she said she’d never gotten the message. Next time, she told us, we should ask for her. Not likely…

While the hotel is not near any restaurants or shopping, we found it convenient to take the local bus to South Beach (10 minutes away) and
to Bal Harbor (about 25 minutes), both for $1.50 each. The local bus also takes passengers to Aventura Mall, a great shopping mecca – but prepare yourself for a long journey. We chose instead to rent a car for the day and hit Aventura and Loehmann’s at the same time.

We loved the fact that there was a pool with plenty of deck chairs and shade, and access to a beach and a wooden boardwalk. If seaweed and jelly fish bother you -- and there's plenty of both along the beach -- the boardwalk offers a great seaside alternative.

Despite the aforementioned annoyances, we enjoyed our stay at the Courtyard. And I would recommend it for anyone looking for a pleasant
hotel with all the amenities. I left a comment card outlining how I think the hotel could improve, and if the administration takes what I
had to say to heart, the Courtyard would be an ideal choice for anyone wishing to stay in the Miami Beach area.

• Liked — bed comfort, view of pool and ocean
  • Disliked — housekeeping, distance to restaurants and shopping
  • Stayed March 2007
8 Thank Shirley Z
san antonio, tx
Reviewed 3 April 2007

Terrible hotel, bad service, horrible rooms, wear out linens and towels, noisy bathroom exhaust fan, super small bathroom, depressing decoration. Plus, when we arrived they gave us the keys of an occupied room. All of these at an incredible price of $300.00 dollars a night.!!! If you want an excelent hotel for a better price go to Mayfair Hotel at Coconut Grove.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple